Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: May Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Great - it's back to normal!

What a lovely framing job, Debbie! The red in the matting brings out the red in the berries beautifully. Is this one for your home, or are you gifting it to someone?
    Wendy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Great - it's back to normal!

What a lovely framing job, Debbie! The red in the matting brings out the red in the berries beautifully. Is this one for your home, or are you gifting it to someone?
    No, this one is in mine. I've got it hanging in my living room.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Good for you Debbie - you need to keep some of them for yourself!
    Wendy

Images
    I generally don't give my full coverage pieces away. They simply take too much time and effort. When I do give things away, it has to be to someone pretty important to me. Small baby gifts is one thing. I can dash off a baby bib or corner embroidered receiving blanket very quickly. But a large, framed piece or a fully embroidered baby afghan is something different. Those gifts are reserved for very close friends and family. And even then, I generally won't consider a fully-covered piece as a gift. Looking back on it, I can count about 7 framed wedding pieces that I've made as gifts, all of which still hang in the homes of the people I gave them to. The count of fully embroidered baby afghans is a good deal higher. Probably more to the tune of two dozen of those and most are still around. The most complex one I ever did was for my god daughter, Brianna, on the birth of her first daughter. Back in 1991, Green Apple Designs released a booklet called The Tale of Peter Rabbit. The design company licensed the Beatrix Potter book and charted 12 of the most iconic images from that book. Then they added part of the narrative to each picture and created a set of designs meant to be small to medium-sized wall pieces for a baby's room. I took all 12 designs and stitched them onto a yard and a half of almanac afghan fabric from Zweigart. I don't even think they make that fabric any longer! It really turned out nicely. She used it for both of her girls and she still has it. Those are the kind of gifts I like to make - the sort that is kept and treasured.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Oohh Debbie, that afghan/baby blanket sounds delightful! It's a family heirloom that the girls can use when they have children.

I understand what you mean about the time and effort for gifts. I have done a couple of large baby pieces (not full-coverage) as gifts, and although the recipients thanked me profusely, I knew immediately that they didn't understand the work that went into them. Now if I plan to give something away it will just be to my sisters, who can appreciate the whole process as well as the gift.
    Wendy

Images
    It's the "It's just little x's, right?" syndrome. If you don't do it, you really don't get how much skill and practice it takes to get those little x's to lay just right. And doing it counted rather than stamped makes it a whole other dimension of a challenge. I remember back before I started doing counted work hearing a co-worker comment that there is no way she'd every do counted work because if you make a single mistake, the whole design ends up a mess. Made me wonder what it was she tried!

This is the baby blanket. I really like the way it turned out.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Afghan.JPG  
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Oohh Debbie, what an absolutely priceless piece you stitched for your goddaughter! Each block is a whole story unto itself. She must have burst into tears when you presented it to her. Both of her daughters must be attached to it also - and hopefully the next generation and the one after will be able to enjoy it - it is timeless!
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Images
    Debbie it’s beautiful xx I was so sure I had replied to this but it doesn’t appear to be here... knowing me I typed it and forgot to press post lol x
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk