Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: May Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Well, that was weird. It cut the narrative when it posted the note. But sometimes it does weird things if I don't manage to finish without interruptions so I copy it in case I need to paste it back in before I post. So . . .

Yeah, Chris!

Here is my progress as of last Monday evening. I worked Monday-Thursday this week so no progress after that. One of these days when I feel up to it I'll have to tell you the saga of my boss and the last month. It's been exhausting. But not right now. I'm just not up for it.

At any rate, here is my progress on Winter Wings Owl. I'm now at 15,947 stitches complete of the 17,325 stitches in the project. That makes this 92.05% complete with only 1,378 stitches left to finish. Woo hoo!!! You'll notice that there are a couple of places where I've overrun the diagonals. This is the result of my own stupidity. When I started over it didn't occur to me that I might not have enough floss on some of the colors. Turns out, I was short. And some of the floss I used was old, coming out of my stash in an effort to use it up. So trying to match dyelots has been a challenge. But because I realized it early enough, I've been able to ensure that where colors lie together, I use the same dyelot. That's the case with the 6 stitches of gray you can see here. I've got enough to complete the stitches in this dyelot that lie close to these in the next band. By the time I finish those, everything remaining will lay far enough away the dyelot change won't be noticeable. The other three stitches that overran the diagonal is the pearl metallic that's adding glitter to the snow. I just didn't have the heart to skip those three stitches and then tie the metallic back on again to finish it. It's hard enough to handle as it is. So here is my current progress on Winter Wings Owl, which will also serve as my starting place for this weekend's SAL. I am now going to go get some lunch and then start in. We've got a lot going on between now and the end of the month, but I really would like to get this finished. Then, I'm going to be forced into making a decision on which design to work next.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	201905-10.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	946.5 KB 
ID:	9180
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 05-11-2019 at 01:14 AM. Reason: To re-insert the next which was deleted when it posted.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Woohoo Debbie, your finish will soon be here! You've made wonderful progress, and I'm happy to learn that you aren't so regimented that you won't deviate from your diagonal! Seriously though, you made the right call - no sense in messing up your dye lots this far along. It is beautiful!

Chris, I'm so happy that you'll be joining in!
    Wendy

Images
    I made great progress today. I got up at 5:15 this morning. No reason other than I slept really well and was awake and ready to get up. I let Chuck sleep and I got coffee and a mini donut to hold me over until he woke up and then went in to work on this. I managed to finish the diagonal I started with and got another 90 or so stitches completed on the next one. We're having company tonight, so no time to work on it this evening, but if the rain continues, I'll have time tomorrow, too. If I'm diligent about it, there's a good chance I could have this finished by the end of next weekend! Send good vibes my way. I really want to get this done!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Yaay, I hope you are feeling all of the good vibes that I'm sending!!
    Wendy

Images
    I promised myself that I was not going to wait until the end of the week to post the progress photo this time. So here's my progress on Winter Wings Owl as of the end of last night. Sorry. No stats available as I didn't update my progress sheet before I went to bed. Suffice it to say that I made good progress over the weekend and I'm on track to finish this by the end of this week. And on that note, I'm off to work!

Name:	_MG_5149.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	887.2 KB 
ID:	9181
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Oohh Debbie, what beautiful progress, and the excitement is building! I love those branches with the snow and red (berries?) on them. It is lovely!

Here's my progress on David. It's starting to look like a thigh now - I'll move back to the top of the page and the draped fabric will start to look more realistic.

Name:	IMG_7036.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	9182 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7040.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	9183
    Wendy

Images
    I managed to update my spreadsheet this morning so I now know that I've completed 16,802 stitches of the 17,325 in the project, making this 96.98% complete. I only have 523 stitches left to go. Woo hoo!!!! This definitely has to be a record for me. I restarted this design on 12/2/18 and will finish it by no later than Saturday, May 18th, which means I completed this in just over 5 1/2 months. Definitely a record.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    That's quite an accomplishment, Debbie! Please refresh my memory as to why you re-started it. Was it the fabric that you didn't like? I'm eagerly anticipating your finish!
    Wendy

Images
    Yes, it was the fabric. Winter Wings Owl was my first attempt at 25 count and not knowing the best fabric to use, I chose a 25 count Colmar from Zweigart fabrics. It's an 88% cotton/12% polyester blend and it turned out to be a bad choice. It's very soft and the threads are relatively thick and split easily which made working 2 x 1 a continuous struggle. Merry X-mas is worked on the same fabric, but I'm working that one 1 x 1 and it works a lot better with fewer threads. At least for me, the 2 x 1 on 25 count really requires a fabric that has more body and can tolerate pulling stitches tighter without deforming the fabric. I really hae become a fan of both the DMC and Zweigart pre-gridded fabrics. I like them a lot better for full coverage pieces.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Good morning all! Another SAL is upon us, and I think that we'll see Debbie's finish this time - unless she finishes it even before the SAL. I am hoping to be able to stitch a couple of days. Tomorrow I'm having arthroscopic surgery on both of my knees to clean them up and trim the tears in the meniscus. I wasn't too thrilled at having them both done at the same time, but that way it will be only one recovery time. It has to be done - I was hoping to wait until after the golf season, but I'm not even sure I can golf as is, so I'll miss six weeks while recovering. Most of the golf courses in the area didn't winter very well, so I won't be missing much, I guess. Have to look on the bright side!

So ... my stitching time will depend on how I feel. I won't be walking much, so I might as well be stitching! Will anyone be joining in?
    Wendy