Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: March Friday - Monday SAL

Morning! I am in with Mountain Landscape with a Castle.

Debbie, yes the shading is mostly blended. Lots of blends actually! I love the photos above of the patterns you want to work on. I especially love the fantasy ones!

Wendy, I love his sunflowers! Sometimes it’s nice to have a super easy piece to stitch. Like Debbie said it’s good mindless stitching!

Have a great weekend!

Images
    Debbie, I love all of your choices! Do you think that you could leave out the black stitches on Veil Nebula? I'm looking at what appear to be so many single stitches for stars, but there may be other colours interspersed with them. It is definitely a beauty! And... the Cliffhanger is certainly intriguing.

Thank you Lucette! Now I'm even considering doing some Van Gogh flowers in a GK chart. I never in a million years envisioned myself stitching flowers!
    Wendy

Images
    I doubt I'd leave them all out. I figured I'd leave out the background stitches, but work any of them that fall within the "veil" itself. I could certainly stitch the whole thing. It would mean 25 count 2 x 2 to get the right kind of coverage. I've seen a lot of people who are stitching the Small Magellanic Cloud and it just makes me wince. Everything shows through except seriousl dense stitching. All I can do is play with it when I get ready to start. I'll probably cut a small piece of fabric and do a test stitch before I commit to cutting whichever fabric I elect to use.

Oh, and there is a method that allows you stitch isolated single stitches. I had to learn that technique when I was making Angel of Peace for a friend. The angel is surrounded by isolated single stitches in white that represent stars. The piece was worked on 32 count blue spruce linen 2 x 2 and if you trailed thread on the back, it showed. So all of those stitches had to be tied on, the cross made and tied off again. Tedious and a long way from being my favorite things to do, but if necessary, it can be done!
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 04-02-2019 at 12:35 AM. Reason: To add a comment on stitching isolated stitches
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Finally, here's my weekend progress on Winter Wings Owl. I hit a milestone yesterday - I'm now over 75% complete! I've complete 13,100 stitches and there is only 4,225 remaining to be done. So the first picture is where I finished up at the end of last week's SAL and here is my progress as of last night. I worked all day today and will work all day tomorrow, as well, so there won't be any progress logged for today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-26.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	717.8 KB 
ID:	9134 As of end of the Day on 3/26/19 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-31.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1,019.7 KB 
ID:	9135 As of end of the day on 3/31/19
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Debbie, congratulations on reaching another milestone! What a beauty, and I love all of the new details that are appearing in the branches and the pedestal. Ahh, those isolated single stitches seem like a real pain - not something that I'd attempt unless it was on a chart that I just had to do! I can see that you have a plan on your Veil Nebula, and it sounds like a good one.

Here is my progress on Sunflowers. I've reached the other side - on this small piece it's not as much of a milestone as yours, Debbie!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6974.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	9136 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6976.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	9137
    Wendy

Debbie, congratulations on reaching over 75%. Youíre stitching so fast on this itíll be done soon.

Wendy, love the bright colours!

Here are my before and after. Lots of greys and greens!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CC02EBAF-5BB6-4F2F-9977-5B2C14C8F937.jpeg   FFDE1993-ABA3-4331-8756-30792FB62D9F.jpeg  

Images
    Thank you Lucette!

You must be sooo ready for some other colours! You are making beautiful progress on your tree, and it looks like the rock will soon be finished - you're almost at the bottom! Will that be the bottom of the row, or of the page?
    Wendy

That will be the bottom of the row. Yes, I am getting a little tired of greens and greys however I have a number of pages I want to complete before I pull out my Van Gogh. So I will have patience and continue for a little longer.

Images
    Lucette, I'd forgotten which design you were working but I just went out and looked at it on the GK site. This is a gorgeous landscape! I can completely sympathize with your gray and green issue since I'm in the same boat. The detail in the area you're working is amazing. I'm really looking forward to watching this one develop. Not that I won't enjoy seeing your Van Gogh back in rotation again, as well.

You're making great headway on Sunflowers, Wendy. And a milestone is a milestone no matter how big, small, complex or easy the pattern might be. I've never worked an actual still life, but I'd really like to before all is said and done. GK has some of the most gorgeous ones I've seen. I'm particularly smitten with Red Roses in a Crystal Goblet, and I own both Lilacs and the small version of A Still Life with Lilacs in a Vase. I've looked at Red Roses several times, but have never broken down and purchased it, mainly because I can't make up my mind which size I want to get. I'd love the full sized, blended colors version of the chart, but even on 25 count fabric it's not small and I only have so many walls I can hang things on. But if I go with one of the smaller version of the chart, the detail won't be as good. Decisions, decisions.

Well, I'm now done with work until the 16th. Today is laundry day, tomorrow is packing day, and we plan to leave by no later than 7:00 am on Friday morning to head to Hilton Head. So if I don't have the chance to post until we get back, everyone have a good couple of weeks and I'll "see" you when we get back, hopefully with some good progress to show for our time away.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Thank you Debbie!

Have a fabulous time in Hilton Head! Other than a couple of really cold and rainy days here in Myrtle Beach, the weather has been great.
    Wendy