Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: March Friday - Monday SAL

Debbie, this is quite a decision. You’re points on weather to add a new project to your rotation or to to try and finish an existing ones are true dilemmas.

For myself I would lean to not adding another project as I don’t like to have more than three at the max. I try to limit it to two. However, that being said I do understand the yearning to start a project that calls to you. I have several that I am always thinking about but I deny myself for now.

These are all beautiful patterns! I have to say that the Gipsy Firefly is my favourite of the four but it’s the one you haven’t started yet but I understand why you want to! So with that I would choose the Night Cafe to work on as the colours are so vibrant and it looks to have good chunks of colours so I would think you could move more rapidly with this one.

Whichever you choose though is not going to be a bad choice as they are all lovely! Good luck with you’re decision!

Images
    What a tough decision, Debbie. I love all of them, but particularly Night Cafe (as you already know). The detail and colours in Dragon Kin are lovely, as they are in Gypsy Firefly. As I'm not really a dragon person, if it was me, I'd continue on with Night Cafe or start Gypsy Firefly. There is no wrong answer here!!

Well, we've been here since Wednesday evening and the stitching hasn't even been unpacked. We have been at our golf school just south of Myrtle Beach, and just today moved into our permanent residence while here, a bit north of Myrtle Beach. Life will get to some sort of normalcy after tomorrow. I had a great game today, only my second time playing since October, and had my first birdie - there may be some hope for my game yet!!
    Wendy

Images
    I think I've narrowed down my choices. Someone on the HAED list posted progress on Gypsy Firefly and commented that she was in "blue he**". As she had just started the design it caused me to go look at the pattern closely. About 5 of the colors being used at the start of this design are ones that I'm currently using on Winter Wings Owl and about 5 more are shades of blue and gray in the same color families. And after closer scrutiny of the Dragon Kin design I find it's the same way (although there are a lot of mauves and violets in there, too.) I'm tired of blues and grays. I want to work in other colors! So I think Gypsy Firefly and Dragon Kin are both out of the running for now. So that helps. That leaves me with Magical Arrival Storykeep and Night Cafe. Sometime between now and when I finish Winter Wings Owl I may pull Magical Arrival out and put it on the frame briefly and work on it a bit to see how I feel about working 32 count 1 x 1. If I just don't feel up to working that small, Night Cafe will be my choice for the rest of the year. In anticipation of that, I've started laying in the diagonals on the pattern so I can figure out where I need to start to get this converted to diagonal parking.

Congrats on your golfing progress, Wendy. What is a golf school? I don't play the game (although I watch a lot of it on TV) so I have no idea what you would do at one.
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 03-25-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Here is my progress from this past weekend on Winter Wings Owl. I'm now at 12,470 stitches complete of the 17,325 in the design. I also completed leg 5 of my challenge on Sunday. Progress! Here's pictures of my stopping point last night and where I was at the end of the weekend last week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-18.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	9121 End of day progress as of 3/18/19 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-26.jpg 
Size:	717.8 KB 
ID:	9122 End of day progress as of 3/25/19
    Debbie K. in Illinois

That pedestal is really looking great! Nice progress Debbie.

I did manage some progress and even I can see it so Iím pretty excited about that! Here are my photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6CCD322A-9276-49E0-B866-41D98055F5A7.jpeg   D8E84A6C-F4E9-442F-9157-F4F9967D9049.jpeg  

Images
    Beautiful progress on your pedestal, Debbie! I can see your progress on your whole diagonal, especially the berries on the branches (I think they are berries). Our golf school was great. It was just Peter and I with our instructor, Mel. The first morning we spent time warming up and hitting balls with a full swing, and then Mel took videos of each of us swinging the club, both the front view and the side view. Then we went inside to watch them, and to listen to Mel's commentary on what was good and what had to be improved upon. Then he emailed it to each of us, so that we could see our swing and hear what he had to say, so that we have a permanent record to refer back to. Then we went back outside and he gave each of us drills to reinforce what he told us. Now, we just have to do the drills all summer! We went out on the course with him in the afternoon for a nine-hole playing lesson to learn about course management. The second morning was a repeat of the first, although it was chipping, pitching, sand shots and putting. His feedback and drills are invaluable. It's hard to put the changes into practice while we are playing, so we have to go to the driving range to practice. Hope that explains it enough!

Lucette, your roots are growing beautifully! It's almost like you never stopped stitching. Even with all of those dark colours, there is lovely detail.

This is a small project that I started on our cruise, but the internet was so slow that I couldn't post any photos. It's an Artecy mini of Van Gogh's sunflowers - not a whole lot of detail, but it will keep me busy. I only stitched on Monday evening. Most of what I did was filling in empty spaces of a colour that I had forgotten to bring with me on the cruise. Starting tonight I'll have more stitching time.

Name:	IMG_6959.JPG 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	9125 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6964.JPG 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	9126
    Wendy

Images
    I think your progress is awesome, Lucette! The detail in this piece is amazing and you've made significant progress. I find the color shadings in this piece fascinating. I'm betting it's all blended colors, isn't it?

Wendy, your golf school sounds great. I've seen ads on TV where they use videos to demonstrate swings, so I get what you mean. I used to think that golf would be the perfect game to be able to go out and release frustration - just go out and whack that little white ball around. I've learned that's so far from the truth it isn't even funny. It takes such skill to do well. I'm sorry I never had the chance to learn the game when I was younger because I think I would have become addicted to it.

The colors in your little Artecy piece are great. I love the way that bright yellow sets off the reds and oranges of the flowers. Is it a nice break from David? David is a gorgeous piece, but by this time I think I'd be tired of all of the pale shades, not to mention working on black!

Oh, and speaking of that, did I tell you that I followed your lead and got some of your black Davosa? When the time comes, I'm going to try using it on the Veil Nebula, one of my NASA designs. Working on black fabric has to be better than working 38 skeins of black the design requires. And it's one of the small ones! Celestial Wings calls for 52 skeins of black. No way I'm going to work that much black on white fabric.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Debbie, you thought it would release frustration?? It has caused me more frustration over the years than anything else! I only started it in my late forties and I'm not a natural athlete by any stretch of the imagination. Actually I had never even considered golf, but one day Peter came home and said that he won the grand prize in a Rotary draw - a one-week vacation for two to Aruba - wow! Then he said that he'd like to take the cash instead and we could come to Myrtle Beach for golf school - whaaat?? I had no interest whatsoever, but he really wanted to do it, so I said that I'd take the golf lessons with him if he'd take ballroom dancing lessons with me, so we came down. Twenty-two years later there has not been even one dancing lesson. Now he says that he had said he would 'consider' it. I told him I would never have done it with a 'consider'. Then he says 'Well you like golf now', and I always counter with 'Well, you may have liked dancing just as much'. I won't let him get away with it!

My poor knees could never take dancing now, and I'm having trouble walking the golf course - which I much prefer over driving. I just found out before leaving home that I have a tear in the meniscus in my right knee, and two or three in my left. I know exactly when they occurred in each knee. My family doctor has referred me to an Orthopedic doctor, but with the doctor situation in our province, it could take at least a year just to get in for a consult. Then to have him do something could take another year or more. I think they only have to be cleaned out, rather than replaced, so when I get back home I'm going to check out private clinics, although I may have to travel to Toronto or Montreal. I'm 66 years old, so I want it done as soon as possible to enjoy these years - every year is precious.

So ... this is much more than you bargained for when you asked about golf school! You could still enjoy it if you started now, and the social aspect is great too. Lessons and practice are key. and you can still get addicted to it!

Thank you for your comments on my Sunflowers. Yes, it's a cheery little piece, but after David it feels like I'm back in kindergarten after being in high school! I'm glad you got the black fabric. I'm with you - no way would I want to stitch all that black. Do you have any idea when you'll start it?
    Wendy

Images
    Good morning all! Another SAL is upon us, and now that I've started stitching again I'm raring to go! I'll be continuing on with my Sunflowers, which is moving along quickly. Will anyone be joining in?
    Wendy

Images
    I'm in and continuing with Winter Wings Owl I'm going to get that sucker finished if it kills me. And you know what I still find astonishing? I've only been working on this since the 2nd of December! This is the quickest I've ever finished a fully covered piece. Yes, I know it's small. But still . . .

Why are you apologizing for talking about golf school? Particularly to the woman who is prone to writing dissertations in posts. Just tell me to shut up when I ramble. I believe golf can be addictive. I've had a number of family members, including my mother's middle brother and his wife, that were all but obsessive about the game. Uncle John and Aunt Mary started wintering in Florida when I was only a young child just so they could pay golf all year round. Unfortunately, I do think it's too late for me to take it up now. Several years ago I tore a muscle in my lower back and have had chronic lower back issues ever since. Considering the nature of a golf swing, I don't now how tolerant my back would be and believe me, the misery of having a lower back in pain is enough to make me respect my limits! And what is it about husbands and dancing, anyway? Mine won't dance either. About the only time I can drag him onto a dance floor is at a wedding and even then, he bolts as quickly as he can.

<laughs at the comparison of sunflowers to David> I know exactly what you mean. Working on my Spirits of the Woods designs are just like that. But they do make for good, mindless stitches when I'm sitting at a race track with my husband. I'm still working on the fox and right now it's endless rows back and forth in the same color to fill in the body. Haven't picked it up since Road America last August, but I'm sure I'll be back at it now that racing season has started again. We've got tickets for 3 Indy Car races (Indianapolis 500, Road America and Gateway) and I'm betting he adds at least one more to our summer racing schedule. We'd hoped to do Laguna Seca in California this year, but the timing is bad. He's talking about an extended summer vacation next year that includes taking the train to northern California again and then renting a car and driving down the coast to see the race and do some sightseeing. I'm up for that. Lots of stitching time on the train, beautiful scenery all the time and hopefully a lot of wildlife to see along the coast. I'll also push for a trip to Monterrey Bay Aquarium. Doubt that will be hard to achieve since he loves that aquarium as much as I do.

Oh, and in answer to your question about the black fabric, I don't have a specific start time in mind for Veil Nebula. Certainly not before I start Gypsy Firefly. However, the next charts in line for kitting and a start are Veil Nebula, Cliffhanger by Aimee Stewart (which was a chart Chuck liked and asked me to get), one of the designs by Jonathon Earl Bowser (probably Primeval Geometry or Invariance), and one of the designs by David Bartholet. I have a number of his, but the choice will probably be between New Heron or Vineyard Quail. I still haven't made up my mind which one to choose. All of them are different from anything else I've done, so all are good choices. I have one more start I can do after Gypsy Firefly and then I have to have finishes because I've maxed out my scroll rods. I control my startitis by refusing to start more projects than scroll rods I have to put them on. I relented on this rule when it came to Gypsy Firefly because I didn't own scroll rods long enough to hold any really large designs so I bought a set of 42" rods, a set of 46" rods and a 48" stabilizer bar. And as luck would have it, the Canadian and US governments were in the midst of political infighting when I ordered the 46" rods for Gypsy Firefly and they got stuck in US customs for upward of 8 weeks. Neither Helen or I could get them unstuck. She shipped me a second set (which got through customs with no problems) and when the other one finally came unstuck, I ended up with two sets of 46" scroll rods. At any rate, these are the charts I'm considering for kitting.

Name:	NASA - Veil Nebula Image.jpg 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	9127 Veil Nebula Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stewart - Cliffhanger.jpg 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	9128 Cliffhanger Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowser - Primeval Geometry.jpg 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	9129 Primeval Geometry Click image for larger version. 

Name:	invariance.jpg 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	9130 Invariance Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bartholet - New Heron.jpg 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	9131 New Heron Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bartholet - Vineyard Quail.jpg 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	9132 Vineyard Quail
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 03-28-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Add black fabric response
    Debbie K. in Illinois