Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: March Friday - Monday SAL

Blog Entries
    Images
    Have a fab stitching weekend girls, as said I won’t have time to join in but hope to in the next one xx now off my iPad as I don’t want to repeat the tendinitis..... x
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Whew, that's a lot of stitching, Debbie, and yuck to the mis-counting! Your daily average seems to be rising, and Hilton Head won't help much. Enjoy your time there! Are you visiting your mother-in-law, or taking her there for a visit?
    Unfortunately, it is rising. Not surprising, I guess, since I rarely have the concentration to stitch in the evenings on days when I work. I try to limit my days at work to the agreed-upon 2 days a week, but recently it's been either 3 or 4, which has seriously cut into my stitching time. Plus we've been working on some major furniture rearrangements in the house on the weekends and that's cut into my stitching time, as well. But I'm not going to complain on that score because the end result is that I'm getting a dedicated stitching room. My husband has taken to calling it the Princess Suite! We've converted our guest room so that we can actually use that room rather than leaving it standing empty 99% of the time. We don't have overnight guests that often so all it ever did was accumulate junk and cat fur. So we got rid of the standard full bed and replace it with a cabinet-style Murphy bed. We've put a TV and DVD player in there, removed two of the bookcases from the room and swapped out another one, moved my chest of drawers that holds my projects, frame parts, etc. into that room, and put my straight back stitching chair and my platform rocker in the space. The room faces south with two large, double-hung window so the light is wonderful. And my standing frame is light enough that if I want to stitch in the living room in the evening, I just pick it up and move it. The only downside is that if I do this I have to readjust the height of the frame because my recliner is a lot lower. But that's just a minor inconvenience. We're not quite through yet. I've got a standing jewelry box that still needs to be moved into the bedroom to make a permanent home for the platform rocker, and we need to clean out the closet. I'm hoping to get rid of enough stuff in there to allow me room to store rotation projects and long pieces for my scroll frame. Once that's done I think that room is finally finished. It's funny. This all started because we had our living room window replaced right before Christmas and when the Christmas decorations came down I didn't want to put the living room sofa in front of it again and block the view. We've been juggling furniture in and out of the living room ever since, trying to figure out how we wanted it set up. We don't have overnight guests that often, but we do have people in on a routine basis so living room seating is a necessity. Plus our cats destroyed their pole in the room where I stored my needlework supplies and it had to be replaced. We couldn't find one that would hold up to 3 Maine Coons so we ended up going to a man in Ohio who customs designs and builds cat furniture. We replaced the one in the living room with a larger one and moved the old one into the back room. In the end, the only way to accomplish maximum seating with the new pole was to put the sofa on the wall where my needlework stand was kept and find a new home for that, which is why I now have a new craft room.

At any rate, enough of my house rambling. I need to post my stitching progress, which wasn't as much as I'd hoped for this weekend. So this is Winter Wings Owl as of last night. I've now completed 11,221 of the 17,325 stitches in the project, making it 64.77% completed. The first picture is my progress as of last weekend and the second one is where it is now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-3-11 - Lower Section.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	9109 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-03-18.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	9110

You know, I didn't realize it until I posted this that I actually ended in virtually the same place each weekend - just one diagonal band further to the right!
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 03-19-2019 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Do add an addendum commoent on the photos
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Debbie, the pedestal is coming along very nicely!

Here are my photos, itís hard to see my small progress due to it being so black and green. At least I finally managed to stitch and post some pictures! Maybe next time the difference will be more obvious.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1BD2EE7B-C9C3-4C59-9CB8-EE57707D614B.jpeg   F4CC0BC2-B5E4-4924-86D5-2A6DB8B20DB3.jpeg  

Images
    We're packing to leave for Myrtle Beach in the morning - a 7:00 am flight. I'll comment later, but here is my progress on David.

Name:	IMG_6947.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	9115 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6952.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	9116
    Wendy

Images
    Thanks, Lucette. I'm enjoying it. I do think it's going to be slower than some of the sections right above. It's pretty confetti heavy. But that's okay. It's the confetti that creates the detail, and working the piece on the diagonal so that I only work 10 stitches across at a time makes it easier.

I can see your progress. I did a lot of that black and green combination when I was working on Midnight Moon the last time. You really do wonder if it's worth the effort of using two colors so close in shade until you step back and see the effect. I have the same thing right now with all of the shades of gray and blue gray in Winter Wings. I work 10 stitches across a row and use 10 different colors and question my sanity. Two or three rows later I stop and look at it and I get it. All of those fine shades of color really do make a difference!

Chris, glad you're back. Tendonitis is no fun so take care of yourself. It will be really great to have you back once you can find the time to stitch again. And as I indicated above, we've been moving furniture, too, so I feel for you.

Wendy, David looks great! As always, your progress is amazing. I assume you aren't planning to take him with you to Myrttle Beach? I hope you get to play a lot of golf while you're there. The weather in the States this year has been really weird and the East Coast has been either rain or snow saturated a good portion of the time. I know that Columbia, SC where Chuck's step sister lives got significant snow this year - something that never happens. I'll hold good thoughts for weather for you if you do the same for us since we leave for Hilton Head on the 5th! I am going to take my standing frame this year, and will probably also take one of my smaller needlepoint pieces to work on in the car. I'd like to finish the winter Seasonal Quilt Block design I've been working on and maybe even start spring. It's the last one in the set so once I finish spring I can have them framed. The rearrangement of the guest room into a stitching room has created a perfect space to hang them!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Wendy, great progress on David. Enjoy your holidays!

Images
    Thank you Debbie and Lucette!

Debbie, your pedestal is growing beautifully, and what lovely detail in it! I can see what you mean about ending in the same place as last weekend. I honestly don’t know how you are finding time to stitch with your extra work time and the furniture moving. Do you think you’ll be able to find time to go away?? Your new stitching room sounds perfect! No, I didn’t bring David with me. I want to keep him on my Mark II. I have a couple of projects with me, and if they never get finished it’s ok, just as long as I have something to work on.

Lucette, I can see that you’ve done lots more than a ‘small’ progress. I can see so much done around the roots, which is amazing considering all the confetti, the dark colours and your bad back! I’m glad that you’re able to stitch once again.
    Wendy

Images
    Well, I got my days mixed up again and forgot to mention this week’s SAL. I brought to projects with me and will continue with one of them, although I won’t have much stitching time this weekend. We have two days of golf school, a game and moving into a different location on Sunday, then stocking the place on Monday. Then I can relax! I should manage to do a bit of stitching somewhere in there. Will anyone be joining in?
    Wendy

I will join in with Mountain Landscape with a Castle. Enjoy your golfing. I hope you have great weather for it!

Images
    I'm in and will be continuing with Winter Wings. I'm starting to get excited because with the completion of my current diagonal I actually get into the last page of the design for the first time. Page finishes have been a bit deceptive on this design because I elected to enlarge the pattern to make it easier to see. Normally, I just set the copy of my working pattern to one side of my design area on my fabric so it's under the light and easy to see. But this piece has been too narrow so I've had no where to put it. That meant using my pattern stand. It puts the pattern further away, making it harder to see. So I took the pages and enlarged them so I had the top half of a design page on one sheet and the bottom of the page on a second one. Intellectually I know that it's the same number of pages, but working it makes it feel like twice as many! So starting work on a portion of the last page feels like making real progress!

One of the nice things about this job, Wendy, is that they don't tell me when I have to work - I tell them when I'll be there! They give me a huge amount of flexibility. They also know that I'm not normally going to take large blocks of time off since Chuck's still working full time so they're okay with it.

I know what you mean about something to work on, Wendy. I didn't bother to pack my Mark 2 the last time we went to Hilton Head. I was working on Lilac Lights at the time and knew that I could get it finished by Pam's birthday even if I didn't take it with me. By the time we left, I had been working on that piece to the exclusion of everything else (and pushing hard to get it finished) for close to six months and I was heartily sick of it. If you remember, at that time I was trying to work that outside repeating border on the right and left sides of the design and could not get it in correctly to save my soul. I lost track of the number of times I had to frog it and start again. A sure sign I needed to step away from it for a while. So I left it at home and took my needlepoint with me instead. It was on a 10" x 10" wooden frame and was easy to work in-hand. It was a good move because when I got back, I sat down to Lilac Lights again and the borders just fell into place. But I am going to take my Mark 2 this time. I'm so close to finishing Winter Wings that I don't want to stop.

I've also been thinking about which project I'm going to pick up once it's done. If I have any chance of completing the Around the World Challenge, I probably need to go with something that doesn't have a great deal of confetti, something that is hard to come by on full-covered designs. These are my choices:

Gypsy Firefly - This would be a new start. Pros: I've had this design kitted for over 2 years and really want to start it. It was scheduled to be started in July before the Around the World Challenge was announced and I considered starting it then. But it's been a while since I've had a significant finish and I wanted at least one this year. If I had started this one on January 1st, I wouldn't have gotten it. Also, as a new start, I can begin it working on the diagonal and not have to convert it. Cons: This is a max color design (238 colors!) so it will have a lot of confetti. Not so much right at the start, but I'll get into it soon enough.

Magical Arrival Storykeep - Pros: Working on this one gives me the chance for a second finish this year. With only 23,775 stitches in the design and already almost 26% complete, I should be able to finish it before the end of the year. Cons: It will need to be converted to diagonal stitching, which means it takes a while to get into the rhythm. Plus, I was just starting the dragon, which is confetti-rich. And finally, it's worked 1 x 1 on 32 count fabric, which is challenging and tends to slow progress.

Dragon Kin - Pros: This one is already being worked on the diagonal, so no need to convert it. I'm currently working the background and there are a lot of color changes, but at least in the section I'm currently working there's about a dozen colors in play, but in any 10 stitch row, there's no more than three that alternate back and forth, with one or two colors dropping out to be replaced by another in the next row down. So confetti, but not the really difficult sort. Cons: I don't know that I'm in the mood to work on this one right now.

Night Cafe - Pros: In appearance, this one is the furthest along of any of my large projects, even though it's only 15% complete. In other words, it feels like I'm further along. And I love the vibrant colors in the design. Cons: This one needs to be transitioned to diagonal parking, too, which means I'll be jumping around bit, and wherever I start, I'll be in confetti heaven since I'd finished a lot of the solid blocks of black before I took it out of rotation.

Decisions, decisions. Whichever one I go with, I'll be working on it exclusively until the end of the year, since the rules of this challenge state that you should work on a single project and take it around the world with you. The exception to that is if you finish a design. I'm leaning toward Gypsy Firefly, even though it means another project in rotation, because I've had my heart set on starting this one this year. As I said, it's been kitted for over two years now, and was supposed to be started last year but the RAK of Dragon Kin forced the start to be put off. If I go with a different chart once Winter Wings is finished, it means that Gypsy Firefly will be put off for another year.

So all of this has been leading up to this. I just keep going around in circles on this issue so I'm taking a poll. As stitchers who work these sorts of complex designs, I'd like some fresh perspectives. If these were your choices, which one would you choose and why? Keep in mind that to meet the terms of the challenge I need to complete 53,855 stitches by 12/31/19 and currently I've done a bit over 8,500. We'll be 1/4 of the way into the challenge on 3/31/19 so to be on track I should have finished 13,472 stitches by the end of the month. Unless a miracle happens, it's unlikely I'll complete 4,900+ in the remaining 9 days of the month since what's left on Winter Wings is pretty confetti-heavy. I've added picture of the four charts I'm trying to decide between. Please give me your thoughts.

One final thing you can factor in. If I don't manage to complete the challenge, I'm not going to grieve about it. I knew it was expecting a lot when I decided to try it. I'm not that fast of a stitcher (although I've gotten better), but I figured if I did my best I would be a lot further along than I would have been otherwise.

Name:	Gypsy Firefly.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	9117 Gypsy Firefly Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Storykeep Magical Arrival Image.jpg 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	9118 Magical Arrival Storykeep Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dragon Kin Image.jpg 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	9119 Dragon Kin Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Night Cafe Image.jpg 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	9120 Night Cafe
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 03-22-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    Debbie K. in Illinois