Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: March Friday - Monday SAL

Blog Entries
    Images
    Good afternoon guys xx I think I have cracked it and have my light in the perfect place now woohoo xx stitching on a non gk just for a few days then I will get back to my boys xx
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Way to go Chris! It will be so nice to have you back stitching and stirring things up here!!
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Images
    Will take a photo of my stitching a bit later not gk but it’s getting me back into it xx

Images
    I'll await it. Chris!

Here is my Sunflowers. I managed more than expected. Silly me, I forgot I was watching the Masters here instead of at home, so with the time difference it ended earlier in the evening! And due to the weather they started it earlier on the last day. I almost finished my page - about 30 stitches left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6996.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	9147 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7001.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	9148
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Images
    Beautiful work Wendy, this does make me think of summer

Don’t faint everyone

Name:	A296AA9B-008D-4D6F-A30C-7A51B90E75F6.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	570.9 KB 
ID:	9149

Name:	18ACB3CD-8534-4210-B544-F57AEA3B7EE1.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	9150

Name:	348EFA2A-4146-4222-8DA6-28C184DF2175.jpeg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	9151

This one is getting me back into my stitching, shouldn’t take too long but I will hopefully work on my boys too

Images
    Thank you Chris! Yes, summer! We will be back home next week and I understand that all of our snow is gone - summer is on the way!

It's so good to have you back stitching. I love this chart you've started, and you have made an excellent start on it. Before you know it, this will be finished and you'll be back to working on your boys!
    Wendy

Images
    Welcome back, Chris. We've missed you. I understand small projects. I find large projects can get disheartening because you can work for multiple years without a finish. Smalls worked alongside a large project can give you the occasional finish while still allowing you to concentrate on your large project so it continues to make headway. This a really nice small project and I just love the fabric. I've never worked anything from Little House Needleworks, but have worked projects from Blackbird Designs and Rosewood Manor, which do very similar kinds of designs. I hope you enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed the ones I did. And I do look forward to seeing you work on your boys again!

Wendy, your flowers are really lovely. The colors just pop. It's really stitched up quickly.

Well, as I somewhat expected, I didn't have nearly as much time to stitch as I had hoped to while on vacation. No surprise. But I did make some headway on a couple of projects. On the ride down to Hilton Head I did some work on Shore Patrol, the winter scene with the foxes that I restarted some time ago. This is the one that I had been working on kit-supplied 14 count aida that I didn't like much. The coverage was poor, the floss wasn't great, and I'm not fond of aida at the best of times. I finally restarted it when I ran out of one of the primary colors (it was way short) and couldn't match it. For some reason I thought I had restarted it on 18 count, but as it turned out I'd used 22 count hardanger. I like the look of it a lot better, although it is a bit small to be working in a moving car. After working on it for a couple of hours I decided that I would be happier if I shifted it to diagonal parking, so I started that process. I did make progress, although I won't say it was really noticeable. I haven't take a picture of this one yet, but I will and will post it later. Once I got to Hilton Head, I set up my needlework frame and began working on Winter Wings. I was the early riser of the crowd, tending to be up by 6:30 or so most mornings. That gave me a chance to have a light breakfast and coffee out on the enclosed patio and then pull out my needlework and put in a couple of hours before everyone else stirred. Once they were up, my needlework time was largely over. I was in fairly heavy confetti so working only a few hours in the early morrning I only managed 780 stitches for the week. But some headway is better than none! If I needed something to do with my hands in the evenings when we were all together, I picked up Winter Sky, the winter piece from the 4 seasons needlepoint quilt block series I've been working. I also worked on this one on the drive home. I would have finished it too, if I hadn't discovered that the middle pink section of the piece was wrong and I ended up having to pull it all out. At first I thought I wasn't going to be able to do it. The piece works from the center out in concentric pattern rings and I'd already worked the outer ring and one of the two outer borders when I realized what I'd done If I'd anchored stitches from the next outer ring behind the pink stitches I probably couldn't have gotten it out. But it turns out I hadn't and I was able to pull the entire pink section. I need to put that section back in correctly, complete the second outer border and do the final finishing stitches and it will be done. I've given it a rest since I got home because by the time I'd pull it all my hands were cramping and hurt quite a bit and I didn't want to push it. Needlepoint, I've discovered, requires a lot more hand strength than embroidery. I plan to pick it up again tonight. I want to get this one finished and when I do I'll post a picture on that one, as well. That will leave me only Spring Flowers to do and I'll have the set finished.

So that was my holiday in Hilton Head. We took a trip to Charleston one day and old town Bluffton another day, and ran around the island shopping and walked along the beach the rest of the time. I guess it rained the entire previous week, but we only got rain one day while we were there. Naturally, it was the day we went to Charleston. It was nice while we were there, but we got caught in a huge storm on the drive back. It was bad enough we should have pulled over, but we were on rural roads with little to no shoulder and if there were side roads we could have used, we couldn't see them because it was all but zero visibility (naturally this had to happen after dark). Chuck was driving and he decided the safest thing to do was to keep moving at a reduced rate of speed. Thank God for our SUV and it's traction control. The rain was torrential and even at low speeds you risked hydroplaning. We had five people in the car and the other three were seriously tense. I didn't like it, but I know how good of a driver my husband is and I knew he'd get us back safely. Not that I'd ever want to do it again! We made it back home on Sunday with a day to spare for laundry and the like. Now we're both back to work again and life is getting back into its regular rhythm. At any rate, this is my progress on Winter Wings Owl. I'm now down to 3,445 stitches left to complete this piece.

Name:	2019-04-16 Day 100 Challenge Finish.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	500.3 KB 
ID:	9153
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 04-18-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Get rid of an unwanted attachment
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Welcome back Debbie, and thank you for your comments on Sunflowers!

It sounds like you had a great time in Hilton Head. How long of a drive is it from your city? I visited Charleston once for a couple of days, and it was lovely. That sounds like quite the rainstorm you had! It's so hard driving in the rain at night - everything looks so black, so it's good that he is a good driver.

Your Winter Wings is coming on beautifully! I love all of the detail that is appearing in the pedestal. And ... your diagonal appears to finally be getting smaller! Too bad about the frogging you had to do on your other one, but as you said, you got it in time.
    Wendy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Welcome back Debbie, and thank you for your comments on Sunflowers!

It sounds like you had a great time in Hilton Head. How long of a drive is it from your city? I visited Charleston once for a couple of days, and it was lovely. That sounds like quite the rainstorm you had! It's so hard driving in the rain at night - everything looks so black, so it's good that he is a good driver.

Your Winter Wings is coming on beautifully! I love all of the detail that is appearing in the pedestal. And ... your diagonal appears to finally be getting smaller! Too bad about the frogging you had to do on your other one, but as you said, you got it in time.
    Thanks, Wendy. We did have a good time. And I found it reassuring, as well. Chuck's step-mother has always been a real go-getter and when we visited her at Hilton Head she always wanted to be out and doing things constantly Her attitude was that we were in a different place from normal so we should want to be doing things. She's been retired long enough that she's forgotten what it feels like to be so burnt out all you really want to do is sit and relax, regardless of where you are. But that came back to bite her two years ago. We where there on the last of her three weeks and she had been going like crazy first with her girlfriends that come every year and then with her daughter and grandkids in the second week. When Chuck and I and Chuck's brother and his girlfriend got there in week 3 she was seriously exhausted. Oh, and I guess I should mention that she was 81 at the time this happened. When we arrived she started her push to take us out to do things. All of us where concerned because she wasn't looking good, and on Wednesday of our stay she more or less collapsed. She developed chest pains, got light headed and passed out. We weren't there at the time. We'd decided to go to Charleston to visit the Center for Birds of Prey. We asked everyone if they wanted to go and they all declined, having been there before. When we got back, her bedroom door was closed and John and Deb looked beat. They had spent almost the full day at the hospital with her. They finally determined she was just exhausted and sent her back to the condo and to bed. We were all a bit afraid she'd try it again this year, but she didn't. She's taking things much more slowly now and things went well.

As for the drive, it's just under 1,000 miles. We generally do it in two days, making a stop somewhere along the route. We stopped at Rogersville, TN on the way out this year and stayed at the Hale Springs Inn. That was an experience! The Inn was originally the site of the stage stop in the early 1800s and the original inn was built in the early 1800's. It was a temporary structure that was used while the brick, Federal-style, 3-story inn was built. It opened in 1824 and operated as an inn continuously up until 1998. It was closed due to the need for extensive renovations. The Rogersville Heritage Association purchased it the following year and through fund raising efforts and commitments from businesses in the area, they managed to raise $2.1M to reinforce the building and restore the interior. It reopened for business in 2009 and it is just fantastic. It only has 9 rooms, but that are deluxe! They have modern amenities (like really nice, modern bathrooms, internet, and TVs), but the "modern" is visually minimized so the rooms look really period. And the landings on each floor aren't just hallways. They are large open rooms, decorated with period furnishings and are used for meetings and receptions. The pictures below are just a sample of the ones I took while we were there. They are (1) a view of the front of the inn, (2) the reception area and main entrance, (3) the dining room, (4) the 2rd floor landing outside our room (ours was the Andrew Jackson suite at the far end on the left), (5-9) various view of the room including the sitting area around the fire place, the bed, the dressing area, the sitting room, and the second bedroom, and (10) the outside back patio. Take a close look at the rugs. They were just fabulous. The also left all of the unoccupied rooms open and you were encouraged to browse through them. They were all like this! And the final amazing thing about it? It only cost us $99/night. That's only about $10 more than what you pay for a Motel 6 these days. It's worth the trip to Rogersville just to stay there, but there also a lot of other things to do in the area.

Name:	Hale Springs Inn.jpg 
Size:	864.0 KB 
ID:	9156 (1) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Entry & Reception Hale Springs Inn.jpg 
Size:	374.0 KB 
ID:	9154 (2) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dining Room at the Hales Springs Inn.jpg 
Size:	571.2 KB 
ID:	9155 (3) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Landing Outside the AJS.jpg 
Size:	629.8 KB 
ID:	9157 (4) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fireplace in the AJS.jpg 
Size:	633.0 KB 
ID:	9158 (5) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bed in the Andrew Jackson Suite.jpg 
Size:	498.6 KB 
ID:	9159 (6) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Across from the Bed.jpg 
Size:	505.9 KB 
ID:	9160 (7) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sitting Area in the AJS.jpg 
Size:	507.2 KB 
ID:	9161 (8) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Second Bedroom in the AJS.jpg 
Size:	435.9 KB 
ID:	9162 (9) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back Patio Hale Springs Inn.jpg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	9163 (10)
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh I so need to visit this inn it looks spectacular