Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Well, better late than never. Here's my progress from last weekend on Winter Wings Owl.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-02-11.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	732.8 KB 
ID:	9096 Starting Point Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-02-19.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	794.0 KB 
ID:	9097 Progress as of 2/18/19
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    You're making wonderful progress, Debbie! I can see that the poofs of snow have grown considerably, as has the branch of the tree. I love watching your diagonals!
    Wendy

Images
    Good afternoon all! Another SAL has rolled around and I'm hoping to finish David's slingshot, although my daughter will be home so I may have limited stitching time. Will anyone be joining in?
    Wendy

Images
    I made some good progress last night and have my current stitching all the way down to row 130, leaving only 55 stitches left to complete the current diagonal. I'm excited about this because part way through the next diagonal I'll pass halfway on this design. Woo hoo! And I've made all of this progress in just over 3 months because I restarted this design back on December 2nd because I didn't like the fabric I was using. I'm definitely feeling accomplished on this design!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    And I'm in with Winter Wings Owl for this weekend.

Oh, and did I mention that I'm doing the Around The World HAED Challenge this year? This is the one where we do legs where the number of stitches in each leg is equivalent to the distance between the locations. We started in London. The first leg was London to Paris (470 stitches), then Paris to Turin (775 stitches), Turin to Brindisi (1115 stitches), Brindizi to Suez (3727 stitches), etc. all the way around the world. The challenge runs from 1/1/19 (or whenever you decide to jump in) to 12/31/19 and the goal is to complete the 53,885 stitches that is the distance between the various locations. The killer one is the New York to Queenstown, NZ leg at 15,006 stitches. Will I make it? I don't know, but it's fun to try and it's definitely incentive to keep at it. Porsche really wanted you to pick a single project to work on but she didn't make it a requirement. Since I'm shooting for finishes this year, I went with Winter Wings Owl to start since I wanted to get it done. Then I have the choice of moving to Magical Arrival Storykeep, the little Christmas dragon design that I started last year (which I should be able to finish), returning to Dragon Kin, starting Gypsy Firefly (which has been screaming at me to start for the last 18 months), or returning to Night Cafť. I suspect I won't make a final decision until I have to put something on the frame and start working on it. And once I make that choice, it will be stick with it until the end of the year. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to drop out of the HAED challenges so I can get back and work on some of my non-HAED designs. I wish we could do non-HAED designs as part of these challenges because if we could I would have been working on Merry X-Mas. I'd really like to get that one done. AND I'd like to return to Yosemite Valley. I'm definitely going to convert that one to working on the diagonal when I return to it. I think that will make working with the blended colors a lot easier and it will get me out of all of the sky!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Debbie, that challenge sounds like so much fun! I wish we had more stitchers here so that we could do something like that. I suppose one could try on the Facebook site, but I find Facebook much more impersonal and I really miss all of the interaction we've had here on the Forum for years.
    Wendy

Images
    Why not announce one on the Facebook site and then see if Marcus would be willing to put a notice about it on the main GK webpage. I'd be willing to help you with it. We could either do it on a new Facebook website (not my first choice) or set it up on the forum. I've often wondered how many of the people on the GK list don't come to the forum simply because they've never taken the time to explore the website fully and don't realize it's there. The trick to a challenge is not to make the guidelines and requirements so onerous or hard to meet that people get discouraged. I would say that the HAED Around the World Challenge is really more geared to highly experienced stitchers with a lot of time to spare. If you do the math, if you'll find that for the total number of stitches in the project, you'd have to complete just short of 150 stitches every day of the year to complete it. That's asking a lot, even assuming that you'll have periods where you can spend more time on it and can complete a lot more than 150 per day. The reality is that unless you're doing your piece in tent stitch, it's going to be hard to complete that many stitches in a year. I think i's highly unlikely that I'll be able to complete all of the stitches in the project within the 12 months. But for experienced stitchers, that won't be a deterrent. They will take it as a challenge and do the best they can. But less experienced stitchers, or ones that are new to artwork conversions or fully covered work are likely to get discouraged and quit. But you make the goals achievable and set the time frames shorter and you get people who are willing to participate and get a thrill out of meeting the goals and showing off their work. And THAT becomes addictive. That's how I got started and now I really enjoy them and am willing to tackle the large ones that I'm fairly sure I can't meet the final goal. Even if I don't, the incentive makes me work more diligently and I get a lot further than I would if I simply stitch when I feel like it.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Thanks for all this info, Debbie! Is the HAED Challenge right on their website, or on a Facebook page? I'm not sure what sort of participation we would get with the GK stitchers as I've gone on the Facebook page numerous times in the past, inviting them to participate in SAL's, and particularly extended SAL's along with a link to the page on the Forum, but no takers. I'm wondering if it may be the lack of English that may be holding some of them back, but I even address this in the extended SAL invitation - it's the stitching that we're interested in! What are the language demographics in the HAED Challenges?

Here is my progress on David. I finished the slingshot and moved to his torso. If all goes as planned, when I stitch downwards everything will align perfectly!!

Name:	IMG_6929.JPG 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	9098 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6931.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	9099
    Wendy

Images
    The HAED challenges are run by a particular individual and she has a separate Facebook page for them. As far as for particpation, it's also possible that the European members are a bit less willing to participate in something like this. It seems most of the new members recently have been from there, although I've noticed a lot more traffic on the GK Facebook page lately. I wish our participation was bigger, but that's just the way it goes, I guess.

I haven't had the chance to get a picture of my progress for the weekend yet, and I problably won't get it done tomorrow either since I have to work all day. But I'll definitely post progress pictures on Thursday.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    I keep getting worse and worse about posting my progress pictures. I blame the group I work for. Things have been crazed there and the 2 days a week I'm supposed to work has turned into 4 or 5 recently. By the time I get home, it's already dark so I'm not getting the pictures. I'm going to be glad when things settle down again!

I've had two evenings to work on this since the end of the weekend SAL and I didn't get pictures in between, so this will be my end of last weekend's progress/start of this weekend's SAL. I managed to add 195 stitches on Tuesday and Wednesday evening, which completed the current diagonal. That means, if my math is correct, I got 420 stitches in over last weekend which isn't too bad when you consider I worked on Friday and we ended up going to dinner in Champaign unexpectedly on Saturday because my cousin, Pam, and her husband made it back from Florida and wanted to get together. So as of this morning, I'm at 8,475 stitches complete, which makes this 48.92% complete. 188 stitches and I'll be half way done. I need to clean up my kitchen and start some laundry and then I'm going to sit down and start to work on this. With any luck, I'll be beyond halfway before the end of the day.

Name:	2019-2-28.jpg 
Size:	935.7 KB 
ID:	9100
    Debbie K. in Illinois