Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: November Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Thank you Lucette!

18 count is my preferred fabric too, although the stiffness of Aida is what I don't like. I love Davosa, which is nice and soft. We all like something different! My first GK was on a 20 count and although at that time my eyes could handle it, I found that it was too bulky for my taste.
    Wendy

Nirmal that is wonderful progress! It is a very pretty piece.

Lucette that is gorgeous work. I love the stars in this one.

Wendy that is nice progress on David. Sometimes it is nice to have a run of easy. It is nice when they mix too.

I am in year 19 with this company so I am kind of used to all the travel. It does make you appreciate home more.

As for the beetles they will leave the areas where it is normal levels. The ones were it is slightly elevated they will do some targeted treatments which they call fall and burn. That is where they go in and cut down the individual trees and burn them to help stop or slow the spread. The areas that are majorly attacked they will use this information to direct logging. A spruce beetle outbreak in the 1970's is why the Bowron River Valley east of Prince George is alternatively called either the largest clear cut in the world or the largest reforestation. The outbreaks go in cycles and I wish this one will come to an end soon.

Here is my progress. I got quite a bit filled in. My next colour will fill in quite a bit more too. It is nice seeing my progress on it again.

before: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1902[2].jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	8995 after: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1909[1].jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	8996
    Tamara - Current GK WIP S3743 Making the Magic Potion

“Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

Terry Pratchett

Thanks Tamara! You’re page is filling in very nicely! Petty soon you’ll finish your page, which is always a happy time!

Images
    Wendy, I'm still amazed and how quickly David is moving along. You're doing such a beautiful job!

Nirmal, I simply adore the colors on your piece. And the detail is really wonderful.

Tamara, it's so nice to see you post updates to Potion again. I really do like this design and it's pure pleasure to watch you work it.

Everyone made such great progress this week!

I made pretty good headway over the weekend too, and finished up the black (which means black, very dark navy blue, brown black, and very dark pewter gray) in the section I've been working. Everything below and to the left of the black all the way down to the scroll frame is now in bright, vibrant colors. Well, there's some very dark purple thrown in there, too, but you can actually tell what color that is without a good white light, so I don't class it in the black shades. Waffling yet again, I've decided that I'm not going to set it aside, but I'm alternating it with the new Christmas piece I wanted to do. So I work on Night Cafe during the day when I'm home and work on the Christmas piece in the evenings. It's on a larger count fabric and much easier to see so it's not so hard to work on at night in my recliner. So here's my progress so far. The first picture is my starting point for Night Cafe for the weekend and the second is where I ended up on Monday night. I've also included a couple of pictures of the Christmas piece I'm working on just for fun. It's called O Tannenbaum in Pink by a French designer named Faby Reilly. I elected to work it on a laurel green 14 count Lugana rather than the recommended white because I wanted something that contrasted better with all of the pale pinks in the design. The fabric isn't nearly as dark as the picture makes it appear. It had the added advantage of being in my stash already so I didn't have to purchase it!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4928.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	8997 Night Cafe 11/16/18 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4929.jpg 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	8998 Night Cafe 11/19/18 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	O_Tannenbaum_in_Pink.jpg 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	8999 Christmas Project Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4933.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	890.7 KB 
ID:	9000 Current Progress
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Thank you so much, Tamara and Debbie!

Tamara, I love watching those white areas keep shrinking with each posting and then, presto - the page is finished! You've made lovely progress.

Debbie, you've made a great start on your new project - it's going to be a beauty! Your Night Cafe is growing beautifully. I'm so glad that you're continuing to work on it.

Tamara, I was telling Peter about your job and he is so interested. Thanks for the further info on how the beetles are dealt with. I suppose care has to be taken so that the natural predators of the beetles aren't destroyed or the situation could be worsened.
    Wendy

Images
    Good morning everyone! Another SAL is upon us, and I'll be hibernating while stitching on David. I can't believe the weather here. We've had three snowfalls in the last week and a half necessitating snow plows. Today it is -13c, with a wind chill of -23. I've never seen a November like this in my adult life. My golf course normally closes on Oct. 31, but there is another one that stays open as long as the weather permits. There have been many years that I would have been golfing on this date, sometimes wearing just a light sweater. And they are worried about global warming!!

That's my rant for now. Will anyone be joining in?
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Images
    Good morning, Wendy. I'll be joining in this SAL. My goodness! You've had a lot of snow already!! I'm just hoping it doesn't come this way-not for a long time-if ever!!

Lucette, wow, you have such a lot done! Your sky has really expanded, and that star is lovely!

Wendy, great progress. Lucky you to have a stretch of a single colour! As you say, we must enjoy it while we can and make the most of it. David is looking lovely and growing rapidly.

Tamara, great progress! You really have filled in quite a bit!

Debbie, wow! You've made great progress on Night Cafe-and the vibrant colours are gorgeous! Your Christmas project is so elegant-I love the dove, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
    Nirmal

Images
    Thank you Nirmal!

Trust me - this is so not normal for this time of year!
    Wendy

I will also join in. Wendy, you can keep all that snow. I like snow but not that much in so short a time. Hopefully that is it for you guys for a while now. Have a good weekend!

Images
    Thanks, everyone. I really do appreciate all of your comments.

I'm in, although I won't promise how much I'll get done. This is one of those years when the holidays and life in general is ganging up on us. I worked on Wednesday. But I also had three family members who arrived late Wednesday afternoon to spend the night before the family dinner we had today. There's another one tomorrow about an hour from here with another group of family. On Saturday, Chuck has to finish working on his car (he had two wheel bearings fail in the course of a week), and then he has to delve into mine because it's also having an issue (either a thermostat that failed, or a water pump that is dying). While he does that, I'll be working on cleaning up leaves in the yard. The weather here has finally warmed up enough that we have a window to finish outdoor clean up and get all of the lawn furniture, and plant pots stored in the shed for the winter. And I also have to do laundry in there somewhere. Normally, I do laundry on Monday and Tuesday, but Chuck has to go to Detroit for work on Monday and won't be home until Thursday. He needs some of the stuff in the laundry to take with him, so that's another task for the weekend. I envy your hibernation weekend, Wendy. I could use one!
    Debbie K. in Illinois