Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: October Friday - Monday SAL

I will join in with Cafe Terrace at night.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucette View Post
    Great progress Debbie! I love the bright colours!
    Thanks, Lucette. I love your piece, as well. The detail is spectacular.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    It's gorgeous, Debbie! I love the colors in the new section you're working on, and now the tree is really looking like a tree.
    It is, isn't it. It's interesting that for all that I have been working on this piece steadily since the first of July, I'm still not bored with it. Midnight Moon is calling to me, but not because I'm tired of this one. I think it's more because Midnight Moon is a late fall/winter design and the shift in weather to cooler temperatures is making me want to work on a themed piece. I just really love the colors in Night Cafe. And it's interesting to work the shading because the colors that are used you sometimes wouldn't consider if you were trying to do it yourself. Greens shading into blues makes sense to me, but brilliant oranges shading into pink? Now that would never have occurred to me!

Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Is this Easy Count fabric stiff like Aida, or is it softer? The stiffness is what I don't like about Aida. This 20-count with the gridding looks on the softer side, and the gridding would be very helpful. I don't feel the need to grid my fabric, but if it was there already I wouldn't complain!
    I have become a huge fan of pre-gridded fabrics. I tend to want gridding for any large piece I work. I won't use pre-gridded fabric for a piece that isn't fully covered simply because I don't want to go to all of that work and then have problems getting the grid to wash out. There have been some people that have had that problem. It may have been a result of not following the washing instructions, but still. For pieces that aren't fully covered, I'll put in a grid using lightweight nylon fishing line. The exception to this is when I work Chatelaine designs. Those are so geometric, that there is always a place to you can count to for checking your stitch placement. I've found that using pre-gridded fabrics cuts way back on the number of counting errors I make. It's a very simple matter to park a thread and to know it's in the right place. I count to the new location, but before I actually park it, I check the stitch's placement to the grid. If it doesn't match to the grid, I know something is off long before it can be worked into the piece and create a real problem. In answer to your question, it's not soft. It's not as bad as some of the aida I've seen, but it does have a lot of . . . I guess I'd call it body rather than stiffness. I've found that I like that about it, though. Working with 2 threads on such a small count, the body helps with the work. 2 x 1 on 25 count can be a tight fit and it requires that you make sure the threads lay side by side and that they have no slack in them. They need to be snug to the fabric. On soft fabric, it takes a really delicate touch to get them flat and snug without causing the stitch to deform the fabric. Plus anchoring threads on the back on this small of a count on soft fabric can also be problematic when it comes to fabric deformation. You have a lot less problem with this on the Easy Count fabric. Finally, you also have a lot less problem with splitting stitches. On softer fabric, it's easy to split a stitch, even using a tepestry needle. It's a lot harder to do that on Easy Count.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Oh, and I'm in this weekend with Night Cafe!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Debbie, where do you find this pre-gridded fabric? I didn’t know you could get such fabric. Would be very handy, as I would imagine you can also stitch faster if you don’t spend as much time counting and re-counting to make sure you have the right spot!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucette View Post
    Debbie, where do you find this pre-gridded fabric? I didn’t know you could get such fabric. Would be very handy, as I would imagine you can also stitch faster if you don’t spend as much time counting and re-counting to make sure you have the right spot!
    To be honest, the easiest place I've found to get it is to order it through Heaven and Earth Designs. You can get small pieces of it through Amazon (mainly in 14 count), but if you're working anything of any size, you'll probably need a special cut or yardage. A local needlework shop might be able to order the fabric for you, but in my experience most shops don't carry the stuff in-house. I know my LNS tried it once, but Kelly said it simply didn't sell, probably because most people who frequent needlework shops tend to do samplers and other open work designs so they are looking for overdyes, linens, etc. and the demand for gridded fabric just isn't there. I tend to purchase mine by the yard because I know I'll use it. HAED sells it in 1/4, 1/2 or full yard pieces or you can use their cutting service and order a single piece in exactly the size you want. One word of warning. If you are buying yardage for a specific designs and the fabric you need is more than 36" in both directions, you'll need to put a note in the order letting them know that you need a single piece more than a yard long. The fabric is 55" wide, but unless you specify, if you order 2 yards of fabric with no notes, you will get 2 one yard pieces. The fabric does go in and out of stock periodically, depending on demand and how quickly Michele can get it back in stock when she runs out, but she does carry it consistently. I also know she's got a new, long-term contract deal with Zweigart for the Easy Count fabric so it will be consistently available.

There are two manufacturers that currently make pre-gridded fabric. Easy Count is made by Zweigart and comes in both evenweave and aida in a variety of different counts in either white or ecru. DMC also makes a pre-gridded fabric called Magic Guide. Again, it comes in both evenweave and aida in a variety of counts and in both white and ecru. The big difference between the two is that on the DMC Magic Guide, the grid is printed on the fabric after weaving (the grid is pink) while the Easy Count has every 10th fiber dyed and the grid is actually woven in (the grid is gray on this one). This means that you can rely on the grid to be accurate and straight on the Easy Count, but you have to watch the Magic Guide because if the fabric isn't straight when the apply the grid lines, they can be off. The other downside of the Magic Guide fabric is that the 25 count fabric is gridded every 20 stitches rather than every 10. What ever possessed DMC to do that is beyond me. What would you ever work in 12.5 count???? All of their other fabrics are gridded every 10 stitches.

I have heard some complaints about the grid not always washing out, even when following the manufacturer's instructions, but they have been few and far between and come mainly from people who work in tent stitch rather than full cross, or who argue that they don't like their stitches "crowded" and so work on 20-25 count fabric using 1 x 1. Also, having come to know some of the people who have complained, I suspect they ironed their fabric before they started to use it. That is definitely not a good idea since it can set the grid lines. I don't tend to worry about this because I'm finicky about coverage so the grid lines don't tend to show even before I wash it.

Hope this helps.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Thanks for all this info, Debbie! I'll give it some thought before my next start, whenever that happens to be.
    Wendy

Yes thank you for the info! I really appreciate it. I will most definitely be looking into this fabric.

Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello, my stitch sisters! Just to let you know, I haven’t deserted you or GK! It’s just that right now, I’m in the middle of things, and I’m moving very soon. So I won’t be able to join in any SAL’s now, but in early November, I’ll be back! ����
    Nirmal

Blog Entries
    Images
    Morning all xx sorry I am missing in action but at the moment I can’t get myself into my boys as I have so much going with family etc but am hoping for a lull in proceedings very soon xx I am having to content myself with Knitting the boys their picture sweaters - two more paw patrol members and also a lacy sweater for Aubrey but I am so itching to pick up my stitching but my head isn’t in it and I don’t want make mistakes at this late stage xx

Nirmal am sure we will all be here waiting for your return and good luck with the move xx
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk