Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: October Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    I had always used an OttLite floor model with the attached magnifier with my old stand, but I just couldn't get it to be functional with my Mark II. Wherever I placed it, the flip frame would hit the lamp when I flipped it. I found this big clip-on one that works perfectly. It's flexible, so I twist is around so that it's horizontal over my work, and it clamps perfectly to the bracket. Another bracket has the goose neck magnifier, and I can position it anywhere I like. I loved my floor model, but this one makes everything so compact. Here's the link:

https://products.ottlite.com/p-340-f...p-on-lamp.aspx

Have you worked on Davosa before, Debbie? I really like it, but if you're used to working on smaller count fabric it would be quite different for you.
    Wendy

Here is my before and after. I did manage to finish the second page and started the top of the third page. Really happy with how itís looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6A05CD43-4677-4EDE-9C73-FA73400A88B6.jpeg   7054DC0C-E607-4EED-A4A4-39ADE538D452.jpeg  

Images
    What beautiful progress, Lucette, and congratulations on a page finish! I can see that you've started some of the sky and a star. I love the detail in the shutters.

Here is my David. That odd looking thing to the left of his hip is the beginning of the long piece of fabric that will be covering his 'unmentionables'!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6639.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	8945 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6640.JPG 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	8946
    Wendy

Oh that is funny! It is a very nice pattern! I do enjoy watching you’re progress.

Thank you for the kind words!

Images
    Thank you Lucette!
    Wendy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Have you worked on Davosa before, Debbie? I really like it, but if you're used to working on smaller count fabric it would be quite different for you.
    I haven't. Midnight Moon is being worked on an 18 count, but it's on an Easy Count fabric by Zweigart, which is more like an aida than an evenweave. It doesn't have the same kind of weave as an aida, but the feel is similar. The picture here is of a 20 count Easy Count (I don't have any 18 count handy without digging into my fabric box) but the 18 count is similar to this. It's funny. I don't even remember when I began the move to smaller count fabrics. I suspect it was when I was living in Phoenix, which was close to 30 years ago now. I know my Arizona pieces are worked on 14 count aida. I chose aida deliberately for those because I wanted that geometric feel you get with that fabric. But I also know that the next piece of any size that I finished after the three Arizona pieces was the mother polar bear and cubs, and that one is worked on 32 count linen, 2 x 2. So somewhere in there, I transitioned to smaller count fabrics. The first pieces I worked after I moved back to Illinois were 2 of the Lavender and Lace Celtic Lady seasonal pieces, and by then I was firmly fixed on 32 count linen. I blame my friend, Rhoda. She's a highly skilled needlewoman and I'm sure she was the one that got me started on smaller counts. And I KNOW she was the one that talked me into doing the Teresa Wentzler Pea**** Tapestry on 32 count mushroom linen 2 x 2. Joke's on her on that score. I got about a quarter of the way into it and decided I didn't like Teresa Wentzler designs. I haul it about about every 5 years or so and work on it for a day, and then put it away for another 5 years. I suspect this one is probably officially a UFO, but still . . .

I looked at the Needleworker's Delight site this morning. It looks like I can get black in the 18 count Davosa, a 22 count Ariosa (but that's 37% rayon, which will stretch) and in 20, 25 and 28 count lugana (which has even more rayon in it than the Ariosa does) but that's about it for evenweaves. In linen, I can get 28 count Cashel, 25 count Dublin or 32 count Belfast, which I already have. Nothing in 20 or 22. So it looks like my choice will probably be either the 18 count Davosa or the 25 count Dublin linen. The Davosa I'd worked 2 x 1 and the 25 linen, 1 x 1.

Name:	IMG_4903.jpg 
Size:	939.6 KB 
ID:	8947
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    And here is my progress on Night Cafe from the weekend. I really do like the new section. The play of colors is great. I added a close up of that section as well as one of the overall piece. The top row of stitching is about 15 stitches short of the center of the design. From there to the right will largely be intermittent patches of color alternating with black that is the foliage of the trees.

Name:	IMG_4901.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	8948 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4902.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	987.0 KB 
ID:	8949
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Great progress Debbie! I love the bright colours!

Images
    It's gorgeous, Debbie! I love the colours in the new section you're working on, and now the tree is really looking like a tree.

Is this Easy Count fabric stiff like Aida, or is it softer? The stiffness is what I don't like about Aida. This 20-count with the gridding looks on the softer side, and the gridding would be very helpful. I don't feel the need to grid my fabric, but if it was there already I wouldn't complain!
    Wendy

Images
    Good afternoon everyone! Time for another SAL, both GK and non-GK once again. I'll be continuing on with David's abs and his cover-up drapery. Will anybody be joining in?
    Wendy