Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: October Friday - Monday SAL

Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi all! So sorry I didn't come in with my pictures-real life sort of got in the way! But now I'm free!

Lucette, I see you DID have a great stitching weekend-a lot of work was done. And it's such a lovely piece-I can't wait to see more of it.

Wendy, my goodness, what a lot of patience you have! David is lovely, but all those endless shades-he's turning even lovelier.

And yes, I am in this SAL with my Japanese Garden.

Here are my results-the pictures were taken last week-at the end of the last SAL:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAL-before.JPG   SAL-after.JPG  
    Nirmal

Blog Entries
    Images
    May I ask: do my images come out sideways or the right way? You see, when I view them from my desktop, they are the right way, and right now on my iPad, they are sideways.��
    Nirmal

Thanks Nirmal! I love the colours in your pattern! The pictures are up but when you click on them they are sideways. Mine always come out sideways.

Wendy I went to a used book store yesterday and one of the books that caught my eyes was a bio on Van Gogh!! I told my my husband that it was meant to be! So I got it and started to read it yesterday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 58188BCD-CA89-48C5-BE83-22C8169B70D0.jpeg  

Images
    Thank you Nirmal!

You've made lovely progress on your garden, and there are beautiful details appearing already. I love the colours! Your photos are right-side-up when I first click on them, but sideways on the second click.

Lucette, yours are sideways on the first click and right side up on the second. What a great find in the bookstore - I'll love to hear what you think of it! Another one to consider, especially if you prefer historical novels rather than a more serious read, is 'Lust for Life' by Irving Stone. It just breaks your heart. He wrote this book in the 1930's based on interviews he did with people who knew Vincent. I've read another one of his called 'Depths of Glory' about the Impressionist Camille Pissarro - not an artist that I was interested in at all, but a great read!
    Wendy

Thanks Wendy! I will look these up, I am a hugh bookworm!

Images
    Somewhat belatedly, but I am in for this weekend. And Wendy, I'd welcome having both GK and non-GK patterns available for each SAL, particularly since I think I'm the only one right now that is working a non-GK design! For now I'm continuing on Night Cafe. I'm in a window between HAED challenges. The last one ended on the 9th and the next one doesn't start until the 22nd. The new one will be much more laid back - you set your own goals and it will only run for 21 days. I've decided to continue with Night Cafe until the end of that challenge in November, and then I think I'll switch off to Midnight Moon for a while. It's still calling to me so I might as well take advantage of the desire to work on it to make some progress. I'll be starting Dragon Kin at the end of January. This was a chart I was RAKed and the person who gave it to me really wanted to see progress on it so I need to get it started. I'm going to a slightly larger count for this one. It will be worked on a 20 count Easy Guide fabric rather than on a 25.

Wendy, I need some input from you. I currently have 4 designs that were charted from Hubble images. All four are very large and use a lot of black. I'm thinking of working them on black the way you're working David. I know you're working him on 18 count black Davosa. Are you finding this difficult? The only designs I've worked on black have been worked 2 x 2 on 32 count linen. I found that very challenging. Does working over 1 on a slightly larger count make this easier? The four designs I have are Celestial Wings (which calls for 51 skeins of black floss), the Veil Nebula (which uses 38 skeins of black), Small Magellanic Cloud (30 skeins of black), and Pillars of Creation (which only calls for 12 and may not be a good candidate for working on black.) It's down the road yet, but I'm thinking of starting with either Celestial Wings or the Veil Nebula and doing them on black to avoid working the background. Celestial Wings is 525 x 611 stitches which makes it 21" x 24" on a 25 count. Taking it up to an 18 count would make the worked size 29.1" x 39.4". by the time you add mats and frame the completed design would be pushing 3 feet wide 3.5 feet tall! That's seriously pushing my house in terms of having a place to hang it! The Veil Nebula isn't much better. It's 700 x 467. At least it's wider than it is tall, which will make it a bit easier to find a place to hang it. I've included pictures of the two designs. What you do think? If it were you, would you work either of these on black?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Celestial Wings Image.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	8941 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Veil Nebula Image.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	8942
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Debbie these are lovely pictures! I really like the rainbow of colours in the one that looks like a tube. I think you are right about the black fabric. It would really make these colours so much more vivid!

Images
    Oohh Debbie, these are gorgeous! Wow, that's a lot of black, and I wouldn't stitch either chart if I had to do all of the background. I'm not having any problem whatsoever stitching on black thanks to my Ottlite and my magnifier. I believe you have a Mark II frame? Do you have the Lamp/Magnifier brackets? They hold my equipment perfectly! If you'd like the link for my clip-on Ottlite, I'll post it later today when I get back home.

I hear you about the size. David will be three feet high and two feet wide when finished, not including framing. This is the largest piece of fabric I've ever worked on and have no idea where I can put him when he's done!

I say go for it - I'm already anticipating updates!
    Wendy

Oh dear I thought she meant stitch on white fabric or black fabric only. I wasn’t even thinking if on white having to stitch the entire black background(even though you did mention how many black skeins you needed.). I must have been tired when I read it. I agree with Wendy I wouldn’t stitch all that black for the background. I have also used black fabric before and it was no problem to stitch on. It also helps if you lay a white towel on your lap, then you can see the holes really well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Oohh Debbie, these are gorgeous! Wow, that's a lot of black, and I wouldn't stitch either chart if I had to do all of the background. I'm not having any problem whatsoever stitching on black thanks to my Ottlite and my magnifier. I believe you have a Mark II frame? Do you have the Lamp/Magnifier brackets? They hold my equipment perfectly! If you'd like the link for my clip-on Ottlite, I'll post it later today when I get back home.

I hear you about the size. David will be three feet high and two feet wide when finished, not including framing. This is the largest piece of fabric I've ever worked on and have no idea where I can put him when he's done!

I say go for it - I'm already anticipating updates!
    I'm stitching all of the black on Night Cafe (calls for 10 skeins), but on that one, the black is less background than it is silhouettes. Those silhouettes are such an integral part of that design that even if I'd worked that one on black, I probably would have stitched the black anyway because of the sheen of the floss. But on these, I think stitching them on black wouldn't hurt the overall image at all. In fact, the flat black of fabric may actually work better since it would give that impression of infinite space. And yes, I do have a Mark II standing frame. I don't have the lamp/magnifier brackets, but I do have a corded, standing Ott magnifying LED lamp which gives me really good light. I also have 3X readers and I've found that on Night Cafe, I can use the lamp without the magnifying lens as long as I wear the 3X readers. Adding the magnifying lens to it should make it large enough to see easily. I have a piece of 32 count black linen in-house that would be large enough for The Veil Nebula, but I don't think I want to tackle working this on 32 count 1 x 1. I'm going to have to look at fabric to see what counts are actually available in black. I'm pretty sure I could get 28 count (although that's not that much better than 32) and I know that Davosa 18 count is still available from Needleworker's Delight. I wouldn't mind a 20 count, but I'm not sure you can get that one in black. One nice thing about working this on black - I won't have to worry quite so much about coverage. If the ground fabric shows through slightly, it won't matter!
    Debbie K. in Illinois