Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: September Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Here's my progress on David's arm. This page is almost finished, and then I'll move over to his six-pack abs!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6615.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	8926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6623.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	8927
    Wendy

Wendy you made really good progress! I didn’t make any this weekend. However I hope to have a better week and weekend for stitching.

Wendy I also agree that perhaps summer is a challenging time for some to make progress. Winter is so much better for this. I would also not like to see the stitch alongs go away as I love watching people’s progress.

Images
    Thank you so much, Lucette!

Thank you also for your input on the SALs. It's great to hear that people are still interested in them!
    Wendy

Images
    Wow, Wendy, David looks great! And I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the six-pack abs.

And it hadn't even dawned on me that I forgot to post. <shakes head> I'm all turned around. Chuck is traveling for work and I feel like I'm running around like a crazy person. He does a lot around the house and trying to keep up with what he does, plus what I normally do has me feeling like I'm going in circles. Friday can't come soon enough! At any rate, here is my progress on Night Cafe. This is actually Day 90 of my 100 day challenge. Another 10 days to go and the challenge is over. I've actually finished the bottom section that is missing here and started at the top right again. As of this post, I was at 22,941 complete. Since then I've added an additional 667 stitches for a grant total as of tonight of 23,608.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-10-29 Day 90.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	8928
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Thank you so much, Debbie!

You have made beautiful progress on both the bottom and the side of Night Cafe! I compared this photo to the last one you posted, and can see just how much you have stitched. The dark colours on the right really accentuate the vibrant, lighter colours beside them. What will you do when the next ten days are finished - continue on with this one or rotate to something else?
    Wendy

Images
    At this point, I'm thinking that I'll continue with this one for a while yet. The problem is that Midnight Moon is calling to me. I'd like to work on it for a bit before I start Dragon Kin. And to be truthful, I wouldn't mind a break from 25 count fabric, and Midnight Moon is worked on 18 count. So we'll see once the 10 days are up.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Debbie, I also really like the colours in this. Just lovely!

Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow Debbie that sounds great-what a wonderful idea! I need that motivation too! But not on the scale you’ve arranged it. With me, I try to stitch every day-minimal time-one hour. I set that for when I work. Otherwise I can stitch for hours. But it doesn’t always work-sometimes I get too tired coming back from work-yesterday was bad-but today, I will be a good little stitcher!
    Nirmal

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellegurl View Post
    Wow Debbie that sounds great-what a wonderful idea! I need that motivation too! But not on the scale you’ve arranged it. With me, I try to stitch every day-minimal time-one hour. I set that for when I work. Otherwise I can stitch for hours. But it doesn’t always work-sometimes I get too tired coming back from work-yesterday was bad-but today, I will be a good little stitcher!
    It actually sounds worse than it is. The time it requires is getting it set up to start with. Then it's just a question of posting to the spreadsheet on a regular basis and marking progress on the pdf by highlighting completed stitches. I tried using my iPad for this, but some charts it worked for and some it didn't. I suspect it has to do with how the pdf files were created by the designer. So now I stick with paper for the actual stitching and update my pdf file on the computer periodically. If I don't go long periods of time without updating the computer it takes no time at all. And the motivation factor makes it well worth it. The number of stitches I've completed in the last 100 days boggles my mind!

But I get what you mean. I never clock time spent. I think for a slow stitcher like me, clocking time is actually de-motivating. A case of, "Look at how much time I spent for so little accomplished!" I already know how much time this craft can take. But what I have found that works for me is what the sponsor of the HAED challenge suggested. She recommends setting a reasonable goal for yourself, but not a daily goal. You can never anticipate what a given day will bring, where a range of time allows you to adjust for bad days. Pick a time period, be it 100 days, a month or a week, and decide how many stitches you can reasonably expect to complete in that period of time. In setting the goal, be sure to take into account the nature of your design. If it's all confetti, you probably won't be able to complete as many as if it's all blocks of color. That's where the reasonable goal part comes in. For example, when I started the 100 day challenge, I had 10,866 stitches complete on Night Cafe. So my goal was to double that number by the end of the 100 days. That worked out to an average of 109 stitches per day for the 100 days, which I figured was reasonable since the area I was working encompassed both blocks of color and confetti. Then she said make it a a point to stitch every day. If it's been a bad day and you don't think you have the energy, put in one single stitch and stop. But stitch every day. What it does is maintain the continuity and something about that works in your head and helps keep you going. In doing this, I often found that when I sat down to put in that one stitch it got me started and I ended up with 50 or more complete. The end result is that I am 4 days away from the end of the challenge and not only did I meet my goal, but I'm more than 3,000 stitches beyond it! So it has definitely worked for me, and I think I'm going to keep at it.
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 10-05-2018 at 04:41 PM.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Debbie, thanks for explaining your process. I will give this a try as I always wonder how much I truly stitch in a day. I have always just told myself how long I stitched each day was good but noticed that my progress was slow. So I am like you I find that saying how many hours I worked on it in a week and looking at the results can be a de-motivator. I am also a slow stitcher and find myself comparing my progress with those that seem to finish their patterns so quickly. I will try not to do that any longer and will track the amount of stitches as this is a true way to measure my progress. I feel this will make a big difference in my progress!