Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: June Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Robert thank you, 19 more pages to go

Thanks Wendy

Debby I love your sampler, its different colourful and perfectly stitched. Sorry your vacation was not all you hoped for, enjoy the Lake

Debbie thanks, your stitching is lovely and its coming on nicely
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    Thank you Abi and Debbie! Yes, he is stitching up more quickly than I expected, although each row so far has been a a short one.

Beautiful progress, Debby! I'm enjoying your colour choices and wondering what comes next. I'd find that band tedious too - you must be so relieved to have it finished. It sounds like you had the vacation from hell! You will really enjoy he peace and quiet of your lake life!

Debbie, I'm another one who is intrigued by you having to change the way you stitch. Good for you for trying something different! I love the vibrant colours in your ribbon - it really pops with the dark colours in the background and it is growing beautifully!
    Wendy

Images
    Good morning everyone! This weekend is our SAL for GK charts and I'll be working away on my David. Will anyone be joining in?
    Wendy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olfen View Post
    I find it interesting that you had to change how you stitch for over one, but I have not I think the slipping stitch problem happens if you are using one thread and not when you use 2 threads
    I think you may be right about the number of threads. I've worked on evenweave over one before when I haven't experienced the problem, but now that you mention it, I do think it's been when I've used 2 strands of floss. I'd experienced the problem in the past, mainly when working Chatelaine designs where the bulk of the project was worked 2 x 2 on 32 count fabric, but where she shifted to 1 x 1 for some detailed sections of the design. In those cases, I'd just overlay a second stitch over the slipped one, being careful not to pull it too tight, and continue on. But knowing this entire piece would be worked over one, I went looking to see if there was a "fix" for it. The Funk and Weber Design site has some really good "How To" tutorials for cross stitch and they offered two solutions to the problem. I'm actually using both techniques and it has completely eliminated the slippage problem.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DebbyS View Post
    It's interesting that you like the 2017 design. Most people absolutely love it, but I don't really like it at all. It's really busy and has far too much repetition for me. I do like the "motif" kind of thing.
    I think it appealed to me because it was the kind of pattern that I find easier to stitch when I don't want to have that intense concentration that a HAED or a GK requires. Once the pattern it set, you can work it with half an eye on something else. Can it be boring? You bet. Autumn Garden Labyrinth is that way. It's why I chose it at the time (after having come off of 8 months of intense work on Lilac Lights, which required a lot of concentration, I needed the break) and it's repetitive nature is why it's on hiatus now, even though it's so close to being finished. But if you want the restfulness of stitching but are a bit too tired to have that intense concentration, a pattern like this is useful. I don't mind working small, although I will admit I probably won't try another one on 32 count over 1. The fabric I purchased for the L&T 2017 Mystery Sampler is a cranberry-colored 40 count linen, but I'll be working that over 2 so it won't be that bad, particularly since my thread will be a cream-colored silk.

While all stitchers share a common craft, it's our differences that make us interesting. It's why I find SALs and Facebook cross stitch lists fun. We're all so different in our tastes. I've seen so many designs that I would never consider doing myself, but it's fun to watch someone else do them and see the joy (and frustration) of the process. I was following a thread the other day on the HAED list that probably shouldn't have been funny, but it was. The woman was a new member of the list and was so excited because she'd settled on her first pattern and had ordered it. She got it in print form rather than in pdf and had ordered the material pack, as well, so it was obvious that she hadn't done more that look at the picture and decide she liked it. I don't remember how long she had been stitching, but I do remember wondering at the time she posted her choice of patterns if she realized what she was getting into. Her shipment arrived the first of the week and when she posted the next time you could literally hear the bewilderment running through the note. She had opted for 14 count pre-gridded fabric for the piece (it was the count she was accustomed to using) and when she opened the fabric up and spread it out, the length was longer than she was tall! Oh wait, I remember. She had selected Little Dreamer's Tree by Aimee Stewart which is 150W x 997H, making the finished work just under a foot wide and just short of 6 feet long! You could tell she hadn't run the calculations before she selected the pattern or the count and was now struggling to wrap her mind around the size. To give her credit, she was determined to carry on with it in spite of the size. I think we can all sympathize with her bewilderment. Haven't we all at some time in our stitching lives selected a project and then later come to realize it was a lot more than what we had anticipated? I guess that's what made it funny to me. I've been there and remember what that was like.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Debbie, I'm another one who is intrigued by you having to change the way you stitch. Good for you for trying something different! I love the vibrant colours in your ribbon - it really pops with the dark colours in the background and it is growing beautifully!
    I think I learn something new about stitching almost every day and try to apply it whenever I can. I'm always game to try something new. Several years ago, I joined an SAL through Papillion Creations. The project was called Around the World in 80 Stitches and it ran 24 months. At the start you were directed to select your fabric and thread. You were to get 3 shades of green, 8 floral shades, white, one metallic, and 2 colors of beads. Beyond that, the choice was yours. Then every month you got a new part of the pattern. The fun part was that each part came from a different country and there were 3-4 different specialty stitches that were country-specific in each part. Each pattern part came with a description of the country's stitching history and what stitches you would be doing in addition to the cross stitch. It was amazing and a lot of fun. Talk about a learning experience! I need to start that one again. I had gotten through part six when I had to set it aside for a bit. I left it on the frame, but covered it with a white towel and a white trash bag to keep it clean. It was tucked between two dressers in a north-facing room with no direct sun but decent ambient light during the day. One of the lessons I learned from this design is how to properly store WIP. I was working on a solid green evenweave. The white towel and white bag didn't provide sufficient protection from the light and the top third of the fabric faded almost to white. There was absolutely no way of salvaging it and it had to be tossed. So both good lessons and bad. Now, I store all of my works in progress is a dark corner and they are wrapped in white towels, then covered with black or dark blue fleece, and a plastic bag is draped across the top of the frame to ensure they stay both clean and light free!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    I went out and looked and the Around the World in 80 Stitches SAL is still available. You need to subscribe to their newsletter, but once you do the design is free. Below are two samples of the finished work. The first was done by Carolyn H. from Missouri and the second by Mayeli from Mexico. If you're interested you can find it here: http://papillon-creations.com/welcome_frame.php?lang=en

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0471.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	445.9 KB 
ID:	8794 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1455.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	352.5 KB 
ID:	8795
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    wendy i'm in with flowers and fruit pattern 220
    Robert

Images
    This is the point I have reached on gentleman writing. It is now reached the stage where it is not possible to complete a diagonal in a week, but it is progress.

Name:	DSC00202.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	8796
    Last edited by olfen; 06-07-2018 at 09:03 PM.
    Robert

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Kluge View Post
    I went out and looked and the Around the World in 80 Stitches SAL is still available. You need to subscribe to their newsletter, but once you do the design is free. Below are two samples of the finished work. The first was done by Carolyn H. from Missouri and the second by Mayeli from Mexico. If you're interested you can find it here: http://papillon-creations.com/welcome_frame.php?lang=en

Name:	0471.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	445.9 KB 
ID:	8794 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1455.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	352.5 KB 
ID:	8795
    downloaded, now to find time to work this
    Robert