Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: June Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Thank you Wendy The original picture used greys/neutrals, so why Scarlet Quince decided on orange purple seems a bit odd, even though it does work.

You making progress on David taking shape now
    Robert

Images
    Thank you Robert!
    Wendy

Images
    Robert nice work, the colours are perfect

Wendy your doing great on David, he looks stunning against the black background

I didn't manage a lot but I did finish the page and it only took about 7 years

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	8788after Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	8789
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    thank you Abi. Nice work how many more pages to go?
    Robert

Images
    Congratulations on your page finish, Abi - it's lovely! I hope this is a small chart, because seven years per page will take quite a while!!
    Wendy

Not much progress on my Medieval Mystery SAL - I had a busy weekend and didn't stitch much. But we have to take advantage of good weather to do stuff outside when we can.

So here's before and after. I did manage to get that February band done (I find it very tedious with all that repetition) and the dark green dragon was really slow going. But he's got most of one wing now. LOL

Name:	P1030093.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	8790Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030120.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	8791

Thanks for the note about the vacation.
    Mine could have been better. We almost didn't make the flight out of Toronto. We were supposed to go down the day before and stay overnight. After sitting on the tarmac for 3 plus hours, the flight was cancelled because of the wind storm that developed on that Friday. They closed the Toronto airport!!!!
    The trains had all left by that time, no rental cars were to be had in the airport and the bus company wasn't answering their phone. What a nightmare! We got a taxi back home, got a few hours sleep, and then got up at 4:00 a.m. and drove to Toronto (which takes about 5 hours). We did get the flight to Grand Cayman and the adventure continued.
    I got food poisoning, so we didn't have the anniversary dinner we hoped for. Other flights were rescheduled and it rained a lot.

We were really disappointed in Grand Cayman this time. It's SO busy now. People everywhere (even in May) and the traffic is insane. Roads under construction, many buildings going up. And even at the condo where we've stayed before, people were getting up early and "claiming" lounge chairs. There were signs not to do that, but people did it anyway. We always did manage to get chairs, but still I've never seen that in Cayman before.

Anyway, back safe and sound and now we're getting ready to move up to the lake.

Images
    Good progress made by all this weekend.

Debby - I continue to watch your progress on this sampler with interest. I'm also getting this pattern, but I think I liked their prior year design better, although I'm still reserving judgement. This one just doesn't seem to have a coherent theme to me. Granted, samplers have never been my thing and it's only in recent years I've really taken an interest in them, so maybe I'm too much of a novice, but thematically it just seems that the design jumps around. The first band seems very Greek influenced. The decorative bands that separate the primary bands are nicely decorative without a particular influence. But the next major band is all dragons. That certainly doesn't strike me as Greek. The third major band seems very Nordic in influence (all those reindeer!) and the June/July band has bearded lions, unicorns, and heraldic-style crests. I don't know - it just seems kind of jumbled to me. Maybe they'll tie it together somehow. But irregardless of the pattern itself, I still really like your color selection for this and your stitching is beautiful.

Abi, all progress is good progress, even if it has taken you seven years! Don't feel bad. I've got a Teresa Wentzler design that I've been working on since about 1988. That would make it upwards of 30 years now. Every time I think I should just call it a UFO and write it off, I get the urge to work on it again and I'll put it back on a stretcher frame and put in another 50 or so stitches. That causes me to remember (1) how much I loved the design, and (2) how much I hate the actual pattern, and it ends up going back into hiatus again. Maybe I'll finish it. I managed to complete her wedding sampler and I disliked that pattern for all the same reasons, so I still have a glimmer of hope for the Pea**** Tapestry. At least I haven't given up on it totally!

Wendy, I continue to be awed on how quickly you stitch. When you consider that you've had some major stretches of time where you didn't work on him because you were traveling, I'm amazed on how quickly he's stitching up. He really is wonderful and you've doing a beautiful job. At the rate you're going, pretty soon you're going to have to start thinking about what you want to do next!

Robert, I love the latticework in that window. The detail is really nice. I know what you mean about the purple and orange. Other than for the red damask tablecloth and the painting on the wall, the rest of the original painting is pretty neutral and rather atonal. Lots of blacks, whites, grays and browns. I actually think I like the added color Scarlet Quince put in the design. Have you seen the original artwork? I'm wondering if part of the atonal nature of the original might be due to age. It's hard to tell from pictures.

I've made fairly decent progress on Magical Arrival since the last time I posted. The starting picture dates from 5/22/18 and the finish is where I was when I stopped last night. I decided to continue working in blocks of color at least for a while longer because when I finally got out of the heavy confetti section I found that a lot of it was devolving into blocks. They kind of alternate between bouts of confetti so I'm laying in the large sections of single colors and then I'll park the confetti sections. This piece has been challenging because working this 32 count fabric over one has presented two new challenges for me. The first is that I'm working on an evenweave over one which means I'm having to deal with thread slippage. I've always worked cross stitches from lower left to upper right and then lower right to upper left, but I can't do that on this fabric because the stitches will slide along the warp fiber of the weave and I'll lose some of them. So I've changed the pattern in the way I work the crosses, working from upper right to lower left and then upper left to lower right. It took a while to get the hang of it, but it's fine now. The second I've already mentioned - tying off threads. The count is so small that the threads snug into the weave and you can't get a needle under them. Working in blocks of color allows me to do stretches of stitches where I do the bottom leg all the way across and then the top leg back, giving me longer stitches on the back that I can get a needle under. I still use the pin stitch to tie off unless the stitches around them are too different in color. At least now if I have to I can anchor on the back. I hope it's okay that I've always pretty much treated this as an update from the last time I posted rather than from just the weekend. At the end of the day yesterday the piece stood at 4,416 of the 23,775 stitches complete (18.57%) with 53 of the 89 colors now in use. This has been worked as part of a 60 Days of HAED Challenge that is due to end on 6/22/18 and I'm still hoping to be able to hit the 25% completion mark by the end of the SAL. I'm 1,528 stitches away from making that goal so we'll see how it goes.

Name:	2018-05-22.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	986.3 KB 
ID:	8792 Starting point as of 5/22/18 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06-05-18.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	8793 Ending point on 6/5/18
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Debbie, thank you. I have seen the original picture and it is more on the neutral side. The scarlet quince palette works, just I would have preferred it to be more neutral

I find it interesting that you had to change how you stitch for over one, but I have not I think the slipping stitch problem happens if you are using one thread and not when you use 2 threads
    Last edited by olfen; 06-06-2018 at 06:12 PM.
    Robert

Debbie, thank you for your kind words on my Mystery SAL. I think I know what you mean about the lack of coherence in the piece, but LOL, maybe that is what is attractive to me about about it. I too thought it was a Greek theme at first, but then it became more medieval. So much is going on so it keeps me interested. And I think the motifs of the dragons, white harts, lions, etc. are all part of the time frame. We have a kind of heraldic shield in the middle and after that, who knows? A knight I expect. And his lady maybe. Or a king and queen. We'll see. Now I have to start the second of the repetitive type of bands and I'm not looking forward to that. I'll be alternating between that and the band with the harts in it. I'm way behind, but then, that's me.

It's interesting that you like the 2017 design. Most people absolutely love it, but I don't really like it at all. It's really busy and has far too much repetition for me. I do like the "motif" kind of thing.

It's also interesting that you solved your slippage problem by changing the way you stitch. I'm glad that worked for you. I've never stitched over one and at this stage in life I'm not likely to try it now. I love the way the ribbon is taking shape. Beautiful work.