Thread: June Friday - Monday SAL

Blog Entries
    Images
    Good progress Robert

Thank you Wendy, no it seems that the end is in sight now
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Lovely progress on your glass, Robert! How many stitches across do you work on your diagonal? It looks like perhaps 10? I love watching it develop this way.
    Wendy

Images
    diagonal is 10 stiches wide
    Robert

Images
    Well, this is somewhat belated, but here was my finishing point on Magical Arrival Storykeep for the weekend ending 6/25/18. It was the end of the 90 day challenge and I was roughly 400 stitches short of making the 25% completion mark. I'm going to try to finish those by the end of the extended SAL next week. I'd really like to reach that milestone before rotating to Night Cafe for the new challenge which starts the 2nd.

Duh. I don't know what I was thinking. I also worked on a second piece since we were traveling this weekend. This one is Spirits of the Woods: The Fox. Not a terribly complex design, but good for working on a snap frame while traveling. The first picture was where I stopped the last time I worked on it, and the second is where I finished up when we got back from Wisconsin late Sunday night.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4824.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	903.1 KB 
ID:	8823 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Fox 3-20-18.jpg 
Size:	607.6 KB 
ID:	8824 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fox 6-25-18.jpg 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	8825
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 06-27-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Add additional progress photos of second project
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    ribbon looking good, hope you made the goal. fox looks cute
    Robert

Images
    Your ribbon is growing beautifully, Debbie! How do these challenges work? Does each person stitch a chart of their own choosing, or all you all stitching the same chart?

I love watching this fox fill in after it is all outlined!
    Wendy

Images
    No two challenges are ever exactly the same, which is why I enjoy them. This one is actually more structured than most. Between the 26th and the 30th of June you have to submit your intention to participate. Then on July 1st the list owner posts a Day 0 post. Anyone participating has to reply as part of a single thread listing the design(s) you are planning to work and either a picture of the chart, or a picture of your starting point if you are going to be doing a current WIP. Stitching starts on July 2nd. Then, every 10 days a new thread is posted and you reply to that one posting a picture of your original starting point and your current progress. Every time you post progress on the 10 day mark, you get an entry for the end of challenge drawings for prizes. If you don't or can't stitch one of the days during that 10 days period, you can't post to the 10 day thread and lose the entry you would have earned for that period. If you have to stop for a full 10 day period (say you went on vacation and couldn't stitch at all) you cease to be eligible for the drawings and you can no longer post on the 10 day cycle, although you can continue to stitch and post your finish at the end of the challenge just to show the progress you made. At the end of the 100 days drawings for the prizes (which have been donated by HAED or other stitchers on the list) are done and prizes are awarded after midnight on the 100th day (October 9th). There are only a few added rules: (1) Since this is a HAED challenge, you must work on a HAED design, but it can be any design HAED currently sells, or one of their retired designs. (2) You can work on up to 4 different designs of your choice, but they have to be either 1 for 100 days, 2 for 50 days each or 4 for 25 days each. (3) You must list the designs you plan to stitch on the Day 0 post and you must be fully kitted out and ready to start by the 2nd. The only change you can make to this is if you decide you want to stick with your first design rather than changing designs during the challenge. (4) You must stitch every day, even if you only put in one stitch. And I think that covers it. The woman who runs this challenge (and she does several a year for HAED) is a pretty linear person who can't start something new until she finishes her current project - in other words, she does not suffer from start-itis. This is her way of trying to impress on people that if you stick with a given project rather than starting a new one every few weeks, you will be able to finish it. I appreciate what she's saying. I have a mild case of start-itis, but have ways of controlling the inclination. But I've seen members of that list that have 10 or 15 large projects already in the works and who have never finished a single one who happily announce that they just started 4 new ones in a single day! At any rate, I enjoyed the 90 day challenge I just finished and since I want to make some serious progress on Night Cafe, I figure this is a good way to do it!
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 06-29-2018 at 02:22 AM.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Thanks for the explanation Debbie - it sounds like fun!

Four new starts in one day - yikes! One chart at a time is enough for me, other than a smaller travelling one. I like my finished pieces!
    Wendy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    One chart at a time is enough for me, other than a smaller travelling one. I like my finished pieces!
    <laughs> I always have more than one going at a time. As much as I love finishes, I can't seem to work small. Even Magical Arrival, which is only 2.34" x 9.9" stitched still has 23,775 stitches in it. And most typical small designs that can be finished in a couple of days to a couple of weeks simply don't appeal to me. So I end up with large ones. But I can get bored with a large design and when that happens I start making mistakes and end up having to frog the errors and restitch. Multiple starts is how I solve that problem. I don't rotate in a set pattern, but when I start getting bored with my current design, I put it away and take out the one that is calling to me. But I control myself by not starting more designs that I have scroll rods in-house to hold them. If I have the urge to start something new that will require 20" scroll rods, I won't start it if I have something else on my 20" rods. That project has to be finished first. My one exception to that is if the project I want to start requires a size of rod I simply don't have. For example, my new start for this year is Gypsy Firefly by Heaven and Earth Designs. I've been looking at that pattern for several years and finally broke down and bought it for myself for Christmas last year. I spent about three months getting all of the floss and getting it prepped, and I got the fabric about a month ago. But this design (on 20 count, which is what I'm going to use) requires a piece of fabric that is 29w" x 38h". I don't have the setup on my Mark 2 for something that large. So I ordered a 48" extender bar and 38" and 42" scroll rods for the frame. I want to go back to Merry X-mas when the current challenge finishes, but plan to start Gypsy Firefly as a Christmas present to myself in December.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Oohh Debbie, Gypsy Firefly is gorgeous! I love the vibrant colours.
    Wendy