Debbie K. in Illinois

Blog Entries
    Images
    Am in with my boys xx

When I can I will catch up with all the posts xx
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Hi all!

Sorry I don't have any update pictures for you as I have not had a chance to work on my cross stitch in a couple of weeks. Just so so much to do. I am even working on a weekend right now. I was supposed to go out to camp to start flying aerial photos tomorrow, but weather and the lack of an available helicopter are hampering me. I go up Monday morning instead so I will be there and ready for when everything else lines up. Right now evenings and weekends have been for studying and getting stuff done around our place. Our decks are on the move now that we have plans finalized for where we are putting them and what we are doing. We just have to wait for the rain to stop and the ground to dry out to get more done. Our storage container is in place and getting leveled. Dad is building some shelves in it for us so we can move stuff out of our old trailer house. He is out in the old house today with a friend looking at where to start tearing that apart and how to do it efficiently and safely. They are also hoping the rain lets off enough to let them take down an old woodshed we had too. Lawn planting is now put off until the fall or next spring. The "nice soil" we had brought in late last fall is full of nasty weeds so I am now waiting for rain to stop long enough for me to herbicide it because alien invasive plants are not on my list of wants. I could care less about native clovers and even dandylions, it is the toxic, take over the world ones I don't want. And no thistles.

So I am looking forward a bit to camp for a couple of weeks so I can slow down and maybe take an evening to stitch here and there. As always it will be a smaller project. Like Debby I have a stitch-a-long I am far behind on so I think that will come with me. And my map from last summer as well.

Debbie I am working 2 threads over 1 on 22 count hardanger and I have to be careful how I do my stitches and pull as I too lose them. They just kind of pull more straight up and down rather than diagonal sometimes. I seem to have just picked up a way of doing my stitches so it minimizes it without really realizing I was doing it at the time. I still get the occasional one that I really swear at because it does not want to cooperate. And I am right with you with the Teresa Wentzler UFO that has been hanging around forever. Mine is not quite as long as yours, but approaching 20 years for something 5X7 inches. I have it at my friend's house for when I go visit her right now. Except she got a new job so our weekday hours no longer line up and now she is doing some volunteering on the weekends for a crisis line so she is really busy with that too. Hopefully by fall we can get back in sync and get back on our projects. She is trying to finish up a Mirabillia (just beads left) and then she hopes to maybe join us here with a GK Carmen gifted to her.

You all are doing such wonderful work. If I am not out flying or completely swamped with work I will try to join in next weekend with on of my Non-GK UFOs as I think next weekend looks like it is appropriate.
    Tamara - Current GK WIP S3743 Making the Magic Potion

“Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

Terry Pratchett

Images
    Tamara, I can't imagine when you ever get time to stitch at all! After those long, busy days and studying at night, one would think there wouldn't even be time to get it out, let alone the actual stitching. You certainly are an inspiration, girl!

Debbie, thank you so much for your lesson in project storage. I had no idea the fabric could fade like that. Was it just the fabric, or did your finished stitching fade also?
    Wendy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Debbie, thank you so much for your lesson in project storage. I had no idea the fabric could fade like that. Was it just the fabric, or did your finished stitching fade also?
    Just the fabric. The floss was fine. Floss will fade over time, as well, but not that readily. It's one of the reasons I've started using museum glass on any work I value highly. It's expensive as sin, but the UV protection ensures that neither the fabric nor the floss will fade from having the work hanging in the house.

I will add a qualifier about the fabric. I was using Lugana for this project. I normally prefer to stitch with linen or something that is at least 85% or more cotton or flax so it doesn't stretch, but because of the nature of this piece I decided that a true evenweave would be a better choice. I know cotton and flax take dye really well, but it's possible that the synthetic thread in the fabric had something to do with the dye not holding as well. But I learned my lesson and I now make it a point to ensure that projects are either stored in a dark closet or are wrapped in heavy, dark fabric and stored in a shadowed corner to ensure that does happen again.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Thank you so much Debbie!
    Wendy

Images
    Here's my progress on David's arm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6492.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	8803 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6497.JPG 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	8804
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Images
    Morning x here is my progress 9n my boys x

Before Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62359843-3FC0-4070-9595-21FF74F06028.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	8805

After Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6F56A365-8A76-4EC1-B06D-47CCDE5EB8A0.jpeg 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	8806

Next days will see the end of this page then only one full a4 sheet to do and the bottom row is only half pages or less each I can see light at the end of the tunnel at last and I think I have cracked the stitching area for myself - just means I have to move the light into position each time to avoid shadow over my top working hand xx

Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Here's my progress on David's arm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6492.JPG 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	8803 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6497.JPG 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	8804
    Beautiful progress Wendy, your David is growing so fast xx

Images
    Wendy nice work! David looks great You must be so glad that your not stitching him a black background

Chris it's great to have you back stitching with us The Boys look great

Oops I was in Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	8807afterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	er.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	8808
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure