Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: April Friday - Monday SAL

Blog Entries
    Images
    Wendy I can feel for you as you well know we went through all this with pete’s mum xx I am sure in time your mum will understand the changes that have to be made for her now are for her own health and safety xxx it is a worrying time for you all bit I know you will all stand by each other and rally round to help xx if you need to chat we are all here for you xx
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Thank you so much Chris!
    Wendy

Images
    I'm in, although not with Autumn Garden Labyrinth. I was determined to finish that, even though I was bored with it, but after having to frog the same section 5 times, I admitted defeat and set it aside for a while. I'll be working on HAED's Magical Arrival.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Oh Debbie - five times - yuck! I can well understand leaving it for a bit.
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Thank you Debbie, on both counts!

We learned today that the health professionals have scheduled a family meeting for Thursday next week to go over the results of her various assessments and make recommendations on living quarters. I know that you are probably very familiar with the procedures. My heart is breaking for her - she just wants to go home, and I'm sure that it won't be possible for her, at least not by herself.
    Best of luck, Wendy. I volunteer in various ways in long-term care and I know first-hand what a confusing and anxious time it is for everyone. All you can do is be there and keep trying to reassure your mom that she will not be alone. That said, you have to advocate strongly for her and for her care. Keep your eyes open and if there is anything happening that you don't like, write down the details with times and stuff. And go to the people who you think are responsible immediately. Lots of times things can be fixed right away. Don't let anything fester.
    This all sounds a bit dire and I might be jumping the gun. I don't mean it that way. It can actually be a very positive experience.
    Debby

Can't really join in for a few weeks. I'm leaving on vacation in a few hours. So looking forward to it - sun and the Caribbean Sea.
    Debby

Images
    Thanks so much for this info, Debby. We are all trying to stay on top of things, but this will encourage us to speak up if needed. One big plus that we have is that my brother, John is a nurse at the hospital, so everyone is going out of their way to be helpful.

Enjoy your vacation! Since summer is taking it's time to get here, things should be much nicer when you return.
    Wendy

Images
    I agree with Debby. I will also add that you can tell a lot about the quality of a long term care facility by watching the attitudes and interactions of the staff with the residents. If you have aides that interact in a caring and attentive manner and treat the residents respectfully, you generally find that the facility is a good one.

My grandmother lived with us the entire time I was growing up. Toward the end of her life she suffered from what we called "forgetfulness". Not classic dementia as we define it today, but her short term memory was unreliable. She would start something, get distracted and forget what she had been doing. We had a gas stove in the kitchen and after she burned up 3 coffee pots in a week my mother knew something had to be done. It was my grandmother's choice to move into the nursing home my mother ran. She adjusted to life there very quickly and after about a month, every time Mom tried to take her out of the facility for an outing or to visit family she refused to go. Mom finally sat her down and questioned her about it. It was only then that we discovered that ever since I had left for college, my grandmother had been scared to death when she was alone in the house. It was too big and too quiet all day long when it was just her. We should have seen the signs, but we didn't. Mom would get up in the morning, open the drapes and the blinds and then leave for work. My grandmother would immediately close them all and lock the house up tight. She told my mother that when she moved to the nursing home it was the first time she had felt safe since I left. How sad is that? And what does it say about us that she was able to hide that from us for so many years? The point I'm trying to make is that often there are side benefits that you don't anticipate from a move like this. She's gong to get a lot more attention, a lot more care, and be around people closer to her own age on a daily basis. Given time to adjust, you may find that she's happier there than she was at home.
    Debbie K. in Illinois