Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: February Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Wow, what beautiful progress, Debbie! I think you've got the right idea, working both sides together. These colours are beautiful - did you choose them or are they a part of the chart? I wouldn't have even wondered except that Debby is in her Mystery SAL and has to choose her own colours.

It's a good thing that you found your extra stitch early! It looks like there won't be that much to take out, but I know it's still a pain. If it had gone much further would you have been able to add one more stitch all the way to the end, or would it have complicated things too much?
    Wendy

Debbie, it would be so nice to be working in those bright colours. It's an exciting looking piece. And Magical Arrival looks like a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    These colours are beautiful - did you choose them or are they a part of the chart? I wouldn't have even wondered except that Debby is in her Mystery SAL and has to choose her own colours.
    I was part of an SAL that required that you chose your own colors, but not this one. This design is charted in these colors, which I think is the reason it caught my eye to start with. I particularly like the shades of purple interspersed among all of the shades of orange, gold, green and brown. It's a somewhat unusual choice for a fall design and makes it really appealing. I think there's four different shades of purple.

Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    It's a good thing that you found your extra stitch early! It looks like there won't be that much to take out, but I know it's still a pain. If it had gone much further would you have been able to add one more stitch all the way to the end, or would it have complicated things too much?
    I seriously considered leaving it and just adding the extra stitch all the way through. The problem is that the added stitch came about 5 stitches in from the edge (at a color change), which will throw off the design pattern as it gets further down into the pattern. Simply adding a stitch at the end isn't going to solve the problem. I'll have to adjust and add the stitch in varying places to keep the design from being totally thrown off. Considering the amount of work that will be, it's just going to be easier to correct it now. I haven't frogged it yet, but told myself that I would get it done before the weekend is out. As it's now Sunday, I probably need to think about doing it!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Aahh, I thought that it was at the end of the row. Now I understand why you will do some frogging!
    Wendy

Images
    And I got them out and put back in correctly. Not sorry that's done. It's a pain in the behind to pull stitches on 32 count over 1!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Debbie, I've been meaning to ask you about railroading. When I do that, one piece of the floss ends up being much shorter than the other when I get close to the end of it. Do you find that? Am I doing something wrong?

Images
    I do get it, although the two strands are ususally not dramatically different. If they end up too far off, I do go looking for the knot I missed. I think it has to do with twisting. Be sure you allow your needle to hang and the thread to untwist periodically and I think you'll see the difference diminish. I've found that having railroaded both legs of all of the stitches on Lilac Lights, it's now become a habit and I don't even think about it. I just automatically railroad any multi-strand stitching I do. It slows the stitching process down a little, but in the long run I really think it's worth it. When I posted the finished work to the Chatelaine website, one of the stitcher there commented, "Wow, all of the stitches in that piece are perfect!" They weren't, but it was nice of her to say so. That's what railroading does for you!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    I get the differences in length too, even if I don't railroad. I've been railroading the top leg of my stitches for some time now - perhaps I'll try both legs to see the difference. I've been trying to speed things up a bit with just the top one, but if it looks better with both I'll sacrifice the time!
    Wendy

Images
    I figure if I'm going to put all of that effort into a large piece, I should make every effort to do it right, even if it causes me a little more time.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Agreed!
    Wendy