Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: January Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Lovely work, Abi! Even though it's sky again there's also a very definite cloud. And I have to say that because of all the confetti in the tree it is looking so realistic - individual needles and rough and prickly.
    Wendy

Images
    Thanks Wendy, being honest that's just how I felt after finishing the tree page, rough and prickly
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    Hahaha Abi!

Here is my David. I've found that if I put the picture of him on the frame it helps somewhat with the lighting and glare, but he still looks much better in person. I'm still experimenting though. In some lights he looks quite yellowed and in others almost a bluish tone. Neither one is authentic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6221.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	8555 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6232.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	8556
    Wendy

Abi that is wonderful. Look at that sky.

Wendy David is looking good. The face that is appearing is so perfect.

I am still not 100%, but I am on the upswing from my cold. I lost 3 pounds in 4 days so it is making me tired.

My progress for this week. Slowly filling in my white gaps.

Before:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1470[1].jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	8557 After:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1474[1].jpg 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	8558
    Tamara - Current GK WIP S3743 Making the Magic Potion

“Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

Terry Pratchett

Images
    Thank you, Tamara!

I'm glad to hear that you are on the upswing. 3 pounds in 4 days sounds like a dream come true for me, but I know that yours is from your cold - not a very good way to lose it. It looks like you'll soon have another page finish on Potion if your gridding is to the page end! Those empty white spaces are quickly filling in. Beautiful work!
    Last edited by WendyLee; 01-18-2018 at 02:07 AM.
    Wendy

Images
    Good morning all! This week is our SAL for both GK and non-GK charts. Our SAL's have been getting smaller and smaller lately, so I hope that as the days start getting longer we'll have more joining in. I know that Chris is busy with her renovations and Angela's job has her getting up before 5:00 every morning. I will be continuing on with my David. Will anyone else be participating?
    Wendy

Images
    Wow, Wendy, I'm really impressed with how quickly you're moving on David. He's gorgeous!

Tamara, sorry to hear you've been sick. So far (knocks on her wooden desk and crosses her fingers), I've stayed healthy this year. I really hope that continues. Potion continues to look great.

And Abi, Raquette is still progressing well. I just love that sky.

I'm in on the SAL for this weekend. I'm preparing to rotate off of Midnight Moon and start Night Cafe again. Can you believe it's been over a year since I worked on that one??? I really didn't expect it to be that long before I had the chance to get back to it. Unfortunately, unless the miraculous happens, I won't manage the page finish I'd hoped for on Midnight Moon. Yesterday was one of those days where I simply couldn't concentrate and my needlework paid the price.

We had to have our eldest cat put to sleep on Monday morning (rest in peace, Zora baby), and I've been a bit off ever since. <sighs> That decision has always hard for us. My husband and I have been together since 1980 and been married for 33 years of that. In the course of that 38 years we've owned 11 cats (Willie, Sheba, Aggie, Kinsey, Piquet, Desiree, Xander, Zora, Harry, Mena and Thunder.) Of those, Mena and Thunder are still with us (at 5.5 years and 0.75 years respectively) and the other 9 have passed. Only Piquet went quietly in his sleep. The others declined slowly and we were forced to make that decision of when was their quality of life so compromised that we were keeping them alive more for our benefit rather than for theirs. That's a hellish choice, and one we finally had to make this week with Zora. It's thrown me off all week. Sorry, just needed to "vocalize" a bit.

At any rate, I worked on Midnight Moon on and off most of the day and only managed to get a little under 100 stitches in. I got my colors off track and kept having to back things out, trying to figure out where I was off. Turns out I had two threads of the same shade in process. Originally they had been on opposite sides of the work area, but they'd more or less been merging toward each other and somehow I got one of them mixed up with a slightly darker but very similar shade and ended up with a whole bunch of stitches of the darker shade right in the middle of the moon, giving me a distinct line of color where it obviously shouldn't have been. It was a mess. I managed to get it all backed out and restitched correctly, but once I managed to accomplished that much, I stopped while I was ahead - or at least back to even! <shakes head> I hate it when that happens. So my goal for the weekend is to spend today working on Midnight Moon and get as far as I can (in between bouts of laundry). I'm scheduled to be out for a play day with a friend tomorrow (weather permitting), and then I'll switch to Night Cafe on Saturday. That will give me the week to get back into that one and make sure I'm not going to have any issues working on it before I head off to the stitcher's retreat in Chicago next Friday.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

I am in. Probably not for tomorrow as I am going to have a long work day. Leave here around 2:30 or 3 am to go out on a 2 hour drive and stare at logging equipment for 8 hours then turn around and drive home. Only one more day of that next week and then I am done it for now at least. Yesterday was 15 hours long for work. Let's see if I can find what I put on Facebook: "15 hours from when I left, 1034km, crosses the Rockies (twice), and coffee in Jasper. All just to have lunch in Edson. Alone. At Dairy Queen. Well and drop off a time sensitive package for work, but that doesn’t count." What a day. I sure hope we get the contract I was delivering a bid for whatever it was.

Oh Debbie you have my condolences. Cats are wonderful companions and it is so hard when they pass. Hoping your other 2 are being a comfort.

Wendy you are right that will be the end of that page. My photo shows the 2 page spread I was working on and there is only that little bit left now. It will be nice to finish them. There is another window and some purple curtains at the end of this row that I am looking forward to.

I am still having some sinus sniffles and a bit of a sore throat so I think my flu morphed into something else, but I feel a lot better overall.
    Tamara - Current GK WIP S3743 Making the Magic Potion

“Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

Terry Pratchett

Images
    They are a great comfort. They've been more clingy since Zora disappeared (wanting laps throughout the day) and both seem to be trying to be comics, deliberately attracting our attention and then doing something silly to make us laugh. And they talk to us continuously. If you've never heard a Maine Coon talk, it's a series of chitters and soft trills. According to the books I've read, scientists have cataloged more than 50 unique sounds that they make on a regular basis. It's like a language. Thunder still searches for her but that's beginning to slack off. I think he's starting to realize that she's not coming back. I did talk to our breeder yesterday and she's put us back onto her waiting list for a new kitten. I have told my husband in no uncertain terms that I do not want another red tabby Maine Coon (a specific variant of the breed.) It was hard enough since both Harry and Thunder were red tabbies. It felt a bit like I was trying to replace Harry. But Zora was also a red tabby (although she was a true tabby cat, not a Maine Coon) and I simply don't want another one. Susan says that the cat she will be breeding next month generally has tortoise shell or patched tabby kittens. Either would be fine, although I'm hoping for a tortie. At least this adjustment shouldn't be as bad as the last one since Thunder is still young. We'll actually be getting him a playmate, which I'm sure will please Mena beyond measure! That having been said, she does play with him now. It's like stampeding elephants when they both get started. So far all of my lighted ceramic Christmas trees have survived but I watch them like a hawk. My mother made those trees and I don't want them breaking any of them! We've also been lucky that Thunder has shown no inclination to try to climb the Christmas tree. Play under it, yes. He loves to hide down there and attack anyone or anything that goes by. He also like to strip the ornaments off the bottom of the tree. I anticipated that a long time ago and I've got an entire collection of ornaments that is designed specifically for the bottom third of the tree so they all have something to play with. They all play happily with those and leave all of the glass ones higher up alone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zora_age_9.jpg 
Size:	478.2 KB 
ID:	8559
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 01-18-2018 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Adding a photo
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Wendy your doing great stitching David, his face looks brilliant

Thanks Tamara and I'm glad to hear your getting better. Potion looks great and the gaps are getting smaller

Debbie thank you, I am so very sorry that you lost Zora

I'm working all weekend bit I'll try to do a bit on Raquette if I get time .
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure