Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: January Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    It is fun, There are a number if people ahead of me, but more that are further behind (that makes me feel better!) This design has been interesting because it is a variation of a classic sampler design, where you'd have a saying with a variety of motifs that surround it. Throughout my years as a stitcher, I never went through that "sampler stage". It just wasn't something I was interested in. Over the last couple of years, though, I've developed more of an interest in them, particularly ones like this where you have a limited number of colors and they are used in various combinations to create a variety of motifs based on central subject. Lilac Lights was another example of this sort of design. Working one of these makes for a nice break from the fully covered pieces.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Samplers were never my thing either, Debbie, and I can't imagine I would ever stitch one, but I certainly can appreciate them and love watching yours grow!
    Wendy

Images
    What actually caused me to become more interested was visiting several museums to view historical needlework exhibits. Then I happened to pick up a copy of Antique Sampler and Needlework magazine and got more interested in the history. It's also a good way to learn and practice specialty stitches, which I do enjoy. I don't imagine I'll do much more of it, but it's been fun to do it for a while.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    I can well understand that, Debbie! We were in Bayeux in France one year and saw the Bayeux Tapestry - oh how I loved studying it! I bought a kit of one section of the tapestry and a description of the Bayeux stitch, but as of now I've never attempted it. Someday!
    Wendy

Images
    A number of years ago I accompanied my husband on one of this business trips. He had to spend a week in Albany, NY at one of his firms other plants. He was scheduled for vacation after the completion of the week in NY, so we scheduled a driving vacation in the northeast and Canada and I took an extra week and went with him rather than flying out to meet him later. During the week we were in Albany and he was working, I spent my days stitching in various local parks, visiting shops in the area, etc. But the best day was when I drove to Canandaigua, NY in Ontario County and visited the Ontario County Historical Society who had an exhibit of antique samplers from the area. I had been visiting needlework shops on our drive out and happened to find a postcard in a New York shop advertising this exhibit. I decided I wanted to see it while I was in the area. It was absolutely fantastic! They must have had at least 40 samplers on display, all from Ontario County. I believe the oldest one they had dated from around 1755 and was done by a girl that was born on 3/10/1739 by a girl named Esther Pearson. They had several hand-stitched reproductions of the oldest ones, including Esther's, so you could see what they must have looked like when they were newly stitched. Information on the girls that stitched them, what their lives where like, and what happened to them were included which it could be documented. I can definitely date my interest in samplers to that trip. Somehow, that exhibit brought those works to life for me and I've been interested ever since. I've toyed with the idea of creating one of my own. I may yet. You never know . . .
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    That sounds like a fabulous experience, Debbie, especially as you learned stories about the stitchers! If I'm ever in that region of your country again, I'll be sure to try to visit it.
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Images
    Ohhh I love antique samplers and would so love one or two don’t think pete would agree right now lol

Hi all sorry am not around much but we are so upside down at the moment that I have not had my head in the right place and I try to escape the house as much as possible xx

We are off to Manchester tomorrow to watch flash dance and staying at The Midland Hotel overnight so a nice quiet couple of dust free days for us and our friends xx
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Enjoy, Chris! We miss you and your stitching, so hopefully your home will soon be stitching-friendly!
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Images
    I hope so to Wendy xx they have said about a month now xx

The electrician is here now then the plasterer then the tiler and then hopefully the kitchen fitter and we will be nearly there x we are eating microwave meals and at friends who take pity on us at the moment
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    When did the work actually start, Chris? It seems like they have been there forever!
    Wendy