Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Extended Year End SAL - Please join in - everyone is welcome!!

Images
    Oh Gail, your poor mother. All the things that must have been going through her mind as she lay there, and it would have seemed like forever. She (and you) are fortunate that it was 'only' cracked ribs - very painful I know, but as you say, it could have been a lot worse. I'm glad to hear that she is on the mend. My mother is 88 and still in her own home, and I'm continually trying to have her get a 'Life Line' for just this reason, but she won't budge.

I'm envious of your sunshine. Well, we do have sunshine, but we also have had an Arctic air mass stalled over us for the past three days along with very strong winds and a windchill of -32c. But .... the days are starting to get longer again - just not fast enough!

Your light sounds great - what brand is it?
    Wendy

Images
    Brrr - hope you get a break with the weather soon! Just heard on the news that all the power is back on in Nova Scotia. Boy - that's a chilly Christmas.

My Mom said all she was thinking about was how to get up off the floor. She was right in front of the elevator and had tripped over the wheel of her walker. There is a door beside the elevator and she though if she could crawl over to it, she could grab the door handle and pull herself up. But that didn't work. We had been telling her she should get a Lifeline, too, but like your mother, she has resisted. I think she thinks it would be an admission that she is old and frail. Well, she is old but definitely not frail, which is a good thing!

Since this, she has said that it might be a good idea to get the Lifeline. Although, we don't know if it would work if she is out of her apartment. She said a lot of her friends have it, but don't take it with them when they go out.

My light is wonderful! The name on the box is Sure Light. I've never heard of it before. But, highly recommend it! And it was $120, which is not out of line with what I had been looking at online at places like Amazon. I would much rather buy things locally, if possible. I had had a homestay dog stay with me for 10 days, so I'm saying Little Joe bought it for me. No sunshine today, but when it gets a bit brighter, I'll take a photo of it and post it.

I don't usually participate in the Forum but I had to add a comment here. I've had the Sure light/magnifier for a year, and it's wonderful. Wendy, I actually bought it at the shop near you, and I believe they still sell them. They let me try it out with my embroidery in the shop before I bought it, and I was sold. The light comes in pieces that assemble in seconds. It can be used as a floor lamp, table lamp, or clipped to a table or chair. The light can be adjusted for different intensity and colour balance. I find that handy for working with different colours, or different levels of natural light. A lot of stitching and craft shops seem to be selling it now, but you can also buy it online.

Images
    Aww Gail, that just breaks my heart thinking of her lying there wondering how to get herself up. I had always thought that the Lifeline would work from anywhere, so I guess I had better do some homework before trying with Mom again. Peter's aunt had one, but laid it on the bed while she changed for the night, and fell and broke her hip (or broke her hip and fell). She laid on the floor all night unable to even reach her telephone, waiting for her daughter to come over in the morning.

Thank you Gail and Peggy for the info on the Sure Light. Peggy, that must have been at Because You Count? They are wonderful there! I have a clamp-on Ott Lite that I love, but the on/off button has been giving me some difficulty lately and I never know when it may quit on me. I can't find this model any more, so I now have an alternative that will clip on, and the magnifier is a bonus!
    Wendy

Images
    Wendy, it didn't surprise us that she would try. My Mom has always been really independent and the type of person who will figure out a way to do what she wants done before she will ask for help. We teasingly call her tenacious. Sometimes we say stubborn - LOL.

Re: Peter's (is that your husband?) aunt - that is a heartbreaking situation for sure. While the Lifeline has probably helped save a lot of people, there are always limitations and unforseen situations. Another thing we have suggested to my Mom is that she have a cell phone. But, she is adamantly opposed to that! And, again, for it to help at times like this, it has to be within reach. If it's in a person's pocket, and the person falls on it, probably either wouldn't work, or the person would be unable to get it out to use it. As my Mom always says - old age isn't for sissies!

Re: Sure Light - as Peggy mentioned, it does have a lot of options! I'm thinking it is a very good investment.

Images
    It sounds like your mother and mine would get along just great, Gail! No cell phone for Mom either - she won't even use mine if I dial the number for her! And if she did bow to pressure, she likely wouldn't think to keep it charged. Yup, Peter is my husband - sorry for not clarifying.

I'm going to check up on that light once the holidays are over.
    Wendy

Images
    Happy New Year to everyone!

This is my progress on Virgin and Child with Saints and Donor.

Before... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	before.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	730.9 KB 
ID:	8528After...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	753.6 KB 
ID:	8529
    Mireille
    GK - WIP: Virgin and Child with Saints and Donor.
    GK - WIP: The Adoration of the Kings.

Here is my 3299 Vintage Seed Packet progress. Had hoped to get this packet complete but have about 2500 x to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171218_073435.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	8530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180101_151359.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	8531

Images
    Mireille, such beautiful work and you stitched so much! At first I thought it was just the church, and then I saw all the work on her neck and bodice. Gorgeous!

Sue, it's lovely to see your seed packets once again and they're making me impatient for spring! It looks like there's tons of confetti in it and your are moving along famously. Beautiful stitching!

Here is my progress on David. I'm still experimenting with lighting and these photos don't show the detail very well, but I am pleased with how he is turning out. At least the progress shows, if not the detail!

Name:	IMG_6174.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	109.9 KB 
ID:	8532 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6192.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	8533
    Wendy

Here's my Winter progress. I got some of the building to the right of the main house completed.

Name:	P1020877.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	8534 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020891.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	8535

And oh my, have we had winter weather here! On New Year's Eve we broke cold records. They cancelled some of the festivities on Parliament Hill because it was dangerously cold. Apparently some people had come all the way from England just to see some of what ended up being cancelled. That was too bad, but they could have seen what the forecast was like! Now it's snowing, but it's much warmer. And then it's back to the deep freeze later this week. Jeepers, I do hate winter.
    Debby