Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Extended SAL!! Please join in - all are welcome!

Images
    The sizing does wash out, but aida is just innately a stiffer fabric due to the way it's woven, so some of that will linger. I'd wash it before stitching just to get some of the stiffness out, but you can't do that with the pre-gridded fabrics because the gridding washes out. Mind you, I haven't finished any of the projects I have on pre-gridded fabric so I can't testify to how well the grids wash out. It's one of the reasons why I've only used them for fully covered designs. At least with Magic Guide and Easy Count, the companies claim the grid will wash out completely and you can use them on designs that aren't fully covered. But I'm going to have to be convinced of that before I'd ever commit to using one in that fashion. Furthermore, for designs where the fabric shows through, I prefer the look of the high quality linens and evenweaves.

Well, yesterday I had the surgery on my right eye done. Things are going really well. My distance vision is clear and sharp. I still find it miraculous to wake up in the morning, open my eyes, and have everything around me in sharp focus. I'm nearsighted (or was) and went into glasses at the age of 10 so I don't even remember a time when I could see clearly without them. I've got an eye shield that I have to wear at night until I see him for the post op follow up next week, but other than that, it's just eye drops, eye drops, eye drops! My doctor also says that I'm about 2 weeks ahead of where he would expect me to be on my close vision. He says that nearsighted patients usually take longer to adjust to the multifocal lenses. I asked him if my quick adjustment might have something to do with my already being accustomed to multifocal lenses in my glasses. He said no, that by the time most patients came in for cataract surgery, they had been in bifocals or trifocals for some time. He said it was his own personal opinion, but he thought it was more likely that it was my needlework that was making the adjustment go more quickly. He said that my needlework already had my brain accustomed to focusing on fine detail, and because I had been struggling to focus, it had only honed my brain even more. As a result, when I got the implants and I went to focus, my brain responded as it always had and is simply adapting more quickly. Another good reason to do needlework! He tells me that my vision will continue to improve steadily for the next 8-12 weeks as my brain adjusts to the new lensrs and learns to maximize their capabilities. I can't even imagine it. I'm already staggered on how much better my vision is, that I can't even grasp at how good it will be when it finally settles in. He tells me to use my eyes in all situations and push them so my brain learns to use the lenses. He also told me I should avoid trying to use my glasses, but that won't be hard since now that the second surgery has been completed, I can't see out of them anyway! So I have to say to anyone who is thinking about doing this, when your doctor tells you that your eyes are ready for the surgery, don't hesitate. It really is worth it.

And now I'm going to go stitch! I'm going to work on Midnight Moon today, and then switch back to Autumn Garden Labyrinth, as the next part of that pattern was released yesterday.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Blog Entries
    Images
    Debbie that’s fabulous news xx hope it keeps going well x
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    That is so great to hear, Debbie, and reassuring to me for when my time comes! Most people say that they can see better, but they aren't stitchers - you are addressing my concerns perfectly.
    Wendy

Images
    Don't get me wrong. There is an adjustment period. I'm in that stage right now, where I'm still adjusting to the lenses for close up work. At this stage, I really can't read (at least nothing in small print) and there's no way I could work on 22 or 25 count over 1. The vision isn't clear enough. <laughs> If I have to read something, I take it to my lighted magnifier to get it big enough to bring it in focus. But every day it gets better, and supposedly that will continue to improve for up to 12 weeks after surgery. I believe it having seen how it improves day to day. Using my magnifier I was able to work on 18 count the first day after the second surgery. According to my doctor, that's practically unheard of. So I can be patient. I'm following the doctor's directions to the letter and I'm firmly convinced that once the healing and adjutment process is over, my vision will be better than it's ever been. Thank you Dr. Pine!

And speaking of my progress on an 18 count project, this is my progress so far on Midnight Moon. Call this my starting point for the weekend. I'm up to 246 stitches completed using one shade of dark avocado green, one shade of dark pewter gray, one shape of dark purple, and 4 shades of dark brown from 3 different color families. I've decided to stick with this one for one more week before switching to Autumn Garden Labyrinth. While AGL on a 28 count over 2, the fabric is a synthetic blend evenweave that is very prone to splitting. I'm not sure my vision is quite good enough yet to catch that when it happens, even using the magnifying lamp. As Midnight Moon is worked on aida, I don't have that problem. I'll post progress pictures again after the weekend SAL and we'll see how far I get. I'd appreciate any comments about the coverage. I'm not accustomed to working on 18 count and I'm still not sure I shouldn't have started this with three strands of floss rather than two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4239.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	669.2 KB 
ID:	8446
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    It's sounding wonderful Debbie!

Your coverage looks really good to me, and I love those dark colours. I've stitched my last four GK's on 18-count and had great coverage. My first one was on 20-count and I found it too tight, which is what you might find if you went to three strands. Give it a test try in the corner to see!
    Wendy

Images
    Great news Debbie, hoping every day sees an improvement in your vision

Your coverage looks great to me. I once tried 3 strands on 18ct aida and at first it looked ok but the more I did the less neat it looked and it became harder to pull the thread through the fabric. I now stitch mostly on 18ct Davosa evenweave (like Wendy) and it's a dream to work on.
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    Two strands on 18 count seems to be the consensus so I'm going to stick with it. Railroading all of the stitches is helping ensure good coverage. Thanks all!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

It looks great with 2 strands Debbie. I am doing 2 on 22 count and it is a bit puffy, but 1 just did not give me coverage. Especially since I started with all darks on white.

I had a pleasant surprise when I opened my email today and saw my Nordic Needle newsletter and that the featured stitcher was none other than Debbie Kluge. Debbie all of your work is gorgeous. You do such a wonderful job on all your pieces.
    Tamara - Current GK WIP S3743 Making the Magic Potion

“Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

Terry Pratchett

Images
    I'm working on an Artecy chart while I'm waiting for my custom chart from Marcus, and it's on a 22-count. I bought the fabric well over a year ago and have no idea why I bought such a small count. I'm working 2 over 1 and it's ok for now, but I'm not enjoying the fabric and I miss my Davosa. I didn't realize yours is a 22-count, Tamara. Is it an Aida or something else?

Debbie, congratulations for being the featured stitcher - that's quite an achievement!!
    Wendy

Images
    Debbie well done! The Nordic Needle newsletter is great. All your stitching pics look gorgeous

Wendy I'm hoping to see a progress pic
    Last edited by Abi; 11-07-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure