Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended SAL!! Please join in - all are welcome!

Images
    Tamara, I wish you could pass on some of your organisational abilities to me! I desperately have to get at it here, but something more interesting - which is almost anything - always manages to get in the way!

Chris, that time has passed so quickly - it's hard to believe that the baby is almost here!
    Wendy

I don't know about organization skills, but I had to do something about the various piles of stuff I have on shelves here and there that the piles keep falling over. So far I only have the intent as this weekend turned into a bit of a whirlwind of activity. Maybe when I get back from camp again which is after this projects field work is done. We have about 11 days left, but depending on weather days and the pilots I may not be back until after Thanksgiving (Canadian). Tonight I pack. And maybe get a few more stitches in my Magic Potion.
    Tamara - Current GK WIP S3743 Making the Magic Potion

“Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

Terry Pratchett

Images
    My problem was that I couldn't find anything in mine any longer. I'd have to hunt for half an hour or more just to locate what I was looking for. Reorganization had become an absolutely necessity. But what I discovered was that it was getting started that was the hard part. Once I dug in, I thoroughly enjoyed the process. It was fun to go through the patterns, sort the fibers, look at the fabric and put it all into order. This usually isn't my thing, but I guess it must have to do with going through the materials for a craft I enjoy so much. And it gave me the urge to stitch!

I managed to get the 1st band of Autumn Labyrinth finished yesterday (with 5 days to spare before the next part comes out - woo hoo!) I've decided that rather than working on Yosemite, I'm going to work on Merry X-mas for the time being. I haven't had that out for a while and it's smaller and closer to being finished than Yosemite is. I've promised myself that I won't start anything new (at least, large new) until I finish some of the projects I've already got started so I'm starting to focus on the projects I've already got on frames. That means working on Yosemite Valley, Merry X-mas, Night Cafe (although that one is a loooong way from being finished), Autumn Labyrinth, Winter Wings Owl, and Miribilia's Christmas Elegance. That doesn't count the traveling projects, which I'll continue to work on when we travel. I will be adding one to that in the spring. We're taking the train from Chicago to Los Angeles in April. There we'll rent a car, drive to Phoenix to see friends and attend an Indy Car race, then work our way back to LA (probaby via Vegas), see a second Indy Car race the following weekend, and then board the train for the return trip. I'm planning to take the Hummingbird afghan from Stoney Creek on that trip. It's a larger count and I found that working on afghans on the train is easier than trying to work on fabric.

At any rate, if I want to stitch, I need to get moving. Today is laundry and housecleaning day and I can't stitch until I've made major headway on both, so I'd better get started! Have a great day, everyone!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Wow, that's quite a trip you've got coming up, Debbie! How long will you be away?

I can't imagine having that many projects on the go. I've tried rotating two, and that was more than I liked! If you can do it, the more power to you! Maybe I'm obsessively trying to finish a project and you're just enjoying the whole experience. Is Merry X-mas the GK with the little bird? If so, I love it!
    Wendy

Debbie that sounds like a fantastic trip! I spent a night on either end of my Grand Canyon trip there a couple of years ago and Phoenix was such a nice place. I want to go back some time to see more. And probably go back to the Grand Canyon too.

I am at at that point with not being able to find things and it is just a mess now. I have projects on the go I completely forgot about from when I moved back to Prince George over 5 years ago. This time last year I found a stack of old WIPs and told myself no new projects started until Jan 1 and I finished the third of them on Jan 1. There owls I am doing did not even look familiar when I pulled them out. And I keep finding more stuff.

I do like to rotate a big project with a smaller one. It helps me keep going when I am in camp and just cannot take a large project. It is helping get some work done on my WIP pile. I would like to get these owls done by Christmas to give a couple away and a couple for our tree. Maybe do a couple of other ones so I have one for everyone. Then onto my next WIP for my camp bag. I love that map I did last summer, but I have to know I have good light for it. Not all camps have that.
    Tamara - Current GK WIP S3743 Making the Magic Potion

“Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

Terry Pratchett

Images
    Well girls your all so busy!
    I haven't stitched much at all what with the bad wrist/hand and working as a volunteer at the Hospice charity shop the time has just flown by and I'm actually doing a bit of knitting as that doesn't require much bending of the wrist. I must do a bit of stitching though as I'm scared that the stitchy bug will fade
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    Oh no Abi - perish that thought!
    Wendy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Wow, that's quite a trip you've got coming up, Debbie! How long will you be away?
    Just under two weeks. It's been a long time since we've been gone that long at a stretch. When we were much younger and my husband worked in a printing plant as a pressman we used to take two to three weeks at a stretch every year. Our best trip ever was a three and a half week driving tour of the western states. We sprinted across Iowa, Nebraska and eastern Colorado to Denver where we visited some of his family. We left Denver and headed north, going through Wyoming to Yellowstone National Park. We had left in mid-March so it was still winter in Yellowstone, and I have to urge anyone interested in visiting there to go in the winter. It is stunning beyond description! Yes, a lot of the areas are closed (you can't get into Grand Teton N.P. at all), but all of the animals are down from the high country so there are moose, elk, deer, bison and a whole host of other animals down in the main park and around the geysers and hot springs. It was amazing. We even had a bison wander up to our car while we were sitting in the Old Faithful parking lot looking at a map and look in the driver's side window, for all the world like he was going to offer route suggestions! We just sat there we our mouths hanging open and eventually he decided we were boring and wandered off. We were driving a little VW Sirocco and he was bigger than we were! Watching Old Faithful erupt into the frigid winter air where the superheated steam condenses into show was . . . well, I'm running out of adjectives. From there we drove through Idaho and into Washington state all the way out to the coast. We picked up the Pacific Coast Highway and took that south along the coastline through Oregon and northern California. We stopped in Napa and spent a day doing a wine tour and then continued down through San Francisco and on to LA. We spent a little under a week in LA, visiting the sites, swimming in the ocean (in spite of the fact that it was still early April), and saw Formula 1 cars run on the street circuit at Long Beach, before we headed out again for Phoenix to visit his uncle who lived in Sun City West. We spent an additional day there that we hadn't intended to spend and ended up needing to make a 36 hour sprint home so that he could report to work on time. He drove at night while I slept (through eastern Arizona and New Mexico and into Texas) and I drove during the day while he did the same (through Texas, Oklahoma, and eastern Kansas). In the late afternoon we switched off again and he finished up the drive through Missouri, into Illinois and home. We made it with about 45 minutes to spare before he had to leave to head to work (he worked nights.) The only stops we made on the way home were for bathrooms and fast food drive-ups. As I said, we were a whole lot younger then!

Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    I can't imagine having that many projects on the go. I've tried rotating two, and that was more than I liked! If you can do it, the more power to you! Maybe I'm obsessively trying to finish a project and you're just enjoying the whole experience. Is Merry X-mas the GK with the little bird? If so, I love it!
    I prefer having a number of pieces going at the same time. I work mostly large stuff and tend to get tired of it before I get it done. When that happens, I start making mistakes and eventually I'll do more frogging that I do actual stitching. I've found that rotating projects keeps me from having that problem. When I start getting bored with the piece I'm working, I simply switch to one of the others. It keeps the work fresh and me interested and attentive, which helps prevent errors that have to be frogged. Lilac Lights was a serious exception to the way I normally do needlework and the boredom factor probably explains a lot of the reason I had such a hard time with the right hand outer border of that design. By the time I reached that point, I'd already worked the top and left hand side of that border and I was heartily sick of both the colors and the pattern itself. I really enjoy Chatelaine designs but she does love decorative borders and uses a lot of them. Particularly on the larger designs, by the time you hit the broad, complex ones that Martina tends to use to frame the full piece they tend to be extremely repetitious. If you're already bored with the project, it's asking for trouble. So switching off helps me a lot. The downside is that finishes tend to be few and far between, which is why when I start itching for a finish I have small projects handy that I can pick up for a quick finish.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamarack29 View Post
    Debbie that sounds like a fantastic trip! I spent a night on either end of my Grand Canyon trip there a couple of years ago and Phoenix was such a nice place. I want to go back some time to see more. And probably go back to the Grand Canyon too.
    We lived in Phoenix for 12 years and really did enjoy it. It was a nice city. I will admit that by the time we moved back to Illinois, we'd both decided that we'd had enough of city life and wanted our cities to play in rather than as a place to live. I know a lot of people who can't understand why people want to live in a rural setting, but I do. Maybe it's because it was where I was raised, but I just find it a nicer place to live. I will admit that I miss the amenities of city life. I took for granted the simple things, like 10 different grocery store chains, all within a 5-10 minute drive from my house. Now I have Wal-Mart or an hour's drive to a larger city. Also, I miss things like season tickets to the symphony (I can get that but it's an hour's drive to get to the venue), really nice restaurants, a baseball game whenever the mood strikes, and hiking in the mountain parks, one of which was just down the street from where I worked. Or the shopping mall just up the street from our first apartment. But I don't miss 45 minute one-way drives in bumper-to-bumper traffic every day to get to work, smog, wildfires, postage stamp sized lots for your house, etc. It's all given and take, I suppose. But I still enjoy going back to Phoenix and still have very close friends who live there. And you sure can't beat the scenery in the state! The sky just seem to go on forever. Phoenix sits in a big valley (called the Valley of the Sun) that is formed by the Bradshaw Mountains to the north, the Estrella Mountains to the south, the White Tank Mountains on the west and the Superstition Mountains to the east. The city itself sits at the base of the Estrella Mountains. It grew first eastward toward the Superstitiions and the northward, and finally toward the west taking up probably about half or a little more of the valley floor by this time. Our house was on the west side of the city and I used to be able to look out my kitchen window and see the peaks of the Bradshaw Mountains, which were about 75 miles north of our house. And standing in my driveway I could look out over the city and on a clear day I could clearly see the Superstition Mountains over 100 miles away. And even on a smoggy day, you could look all around you and see that you were living in a great big bowl. One of the most beautiful drives I've ever been on is the two-lane (although I think now they've finally made it multi-lane) road that takes you from the Wickenburg to Kingman, AZ. It's down through canyon country and the scenery is just breathtaking. Either my husband or I drove that road at least twice a week for 4 months while we were in the process of relocating from Phoenix to Bullhead City. He'd taken a job in Bullhead and I stayed in Phoenix getting our house ready to sell and trying to find work in Bullhead. For all of the times I drove that road, it never looked the same way twice because the differences in the light changed it every time. The Grand Canyon is the same way. If you can't tell, I may not want to live in a city any longer, but I do miss Arizona.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Blog Entries
    Images
    Abi, take care of the wrist xxx we won't let your stitch bug go - I can just jump in the car and come help you look for it
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk