Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Extended SAL!! Please join in - all are welcome!

Images
    I love that design, Gail. I own the pattern and intend to stitch it eventually. The colors are really gorgeous. You're making good headway.

And Tamara, Potion is looking really good. This is going to be beautiful when it's finished. And I grin every time I look at your owls. Those are great.

Is this weekend a GK SAL weekend or "anything goes"? I'm trying to finish the next part of Autumn Garden Labyrinth before the end of the weekend. I'm scheduled to have the cataract surgery on my left eye on Wednesday, with the right one to be done a week later. The doctor says that there will be an adjustment period so how long I'll be on a stitching hiatus is open to question. That's going to be a killer as I've become accustomed to being able to stitch every day. In case the adjustment period takes longer than a couple of days, I really want this part completed before I go in for the surgery so I don't fall too far behind on the SAL. I really would like to finish this thing on schedule in April.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    This weekend is for both, Debbie, and I just sent you a FB message about it before I saw this post. Good luck with your surgery! It will be some time in the future for me and I'm so worried about my near vision already, so I'll be interested to see how you fare. Can't have anything messing up my stitching!
    Wendy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    This weekend is for both, Debbie, and I just sent you a FB message about it before I saw this post.
    I'm definitely in for this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Good luck with your surgery! It will be some time in the future for me and I'm so worried about my near vision already, so I'll be interested to see how you fare. Can't have anything messing up my stitching!
    My stitching is one of the reasons I'm going with the multi-focal lenses, even though my insurance isn't going to cover the cost of them. I've been glasses since I was 10 years old (near sighted with mild astigmatism) and over the years I've gone from single focus lenses to trifocals. When I was still working I actually had three pairs of glasses; a set of tri-focals for general purpose use, a pair of bifocals with close-up and mid-range lenses for computer and desktop work (which left the distance fuzzy all of the time) that I just left at work, and a bifocal pair for close up and distance vision which I used at night at home to be able to work on needlework and still watch TV. When I met with the surgeon he questioned me closely on the kind of things I routinely did and when I went to be measured for the lenses, I took in several examples of my needlework, including Sundowner Rose and Yosemite Valley, some examples of beadwork, and a St. Patrick's Day blackwork piece from Sweetheart Tree that I did for my mother's birthday a number of years ago. <laughs> He has his entire staff in looking at the pieces and commented that he couldn't see the stitches on the two GK pieces with his 40 year old eyes. I pointed out to him that the light in his office wasn't the best for viewing that sort of detail! At any rate, he told me that he could optimize my vision for the closeup work with single vision lenses, but that it would require a sacrifice of my distance vision. Basically, if I did that, I would go from being nearsighted to be farsighted in terms of my distance vision and I would still have to wear glasses. If I went with the multi-focal lenses both my distance and close up vision would improve and I would no longer need glasses. He also says he would anticipate that I could do this kind of needlework using a pair of 2x across-the-counter reading glasses and eliminate the need for a lighted magnifier. I doubt I'll get rid of the magnifier at my needlework stand, but it will be nice to be able to sit in my recliner and stitch without having to completely reset my standing frame and rearrange my living room to work in that chair! So I bit the bullet and we're going to pay the added $4,000 for the multi-focal lenses. In the long run, it will be worth it. I just have to get through the surgery and the adjustment period.

And Wendy, you will reach a point when the surgery is more attractive than continuing the way you have been. You know the thing that finally got me to do it? I can't see color gradations anymore. One of the reasons I'm not working on Yosemite Valley right now is because that sky is all blended threads in shades of gray, pink, blue, yellow, cream, and two shades of white. I can't distinguish between all of those pale shades any longer so it makes verifying that I have the right colors threaded on the needle next to impossible. I can't even be sure I'm right if I have the full labeled skein right in front of me and lay the loose strand on top of it. You can't imagine how frustrating that is.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Blog Entries
    Images
    Good luck Debbie with your eye op xx I will be thinking of you and also like Wendy be watching as I at the moment have what we call varifocals which is one pair of glasses for all three things, near, distance and general i,e, tv etc x
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Thanks for all this info, Debbie! I guess I'm not at your stage yet as I can still see the colour gradations. What worries me so much is I now have progressive lenses (I think it's the same thing as the varifocals that Chris has). I can't function indoors with them, or outdoors without them. If I get stuck with an implanted lens that behaves this way, I'll go nuts! Everything indoors is much too intense and almost pulls my eyes out. I just use my readers for stitching perched on the end of my nose, and I can still see the TV. If I'm in a conversation with someone, I have to take them off too. Once these lenses are implanted, they're there forever!

I'll be happy to hear your full analysis when you're all healed. Good luck with your surgery!
    Wendy

Images
    I never went with varifocal lenses on either my trifocals or my bifocals. My optometrist recommended against them because he said that in using them you lose about 30% of your peripheral vision because they are made with an emphasis toward what is directly in front of you. I did so much driving when I was still working that I needed the peripheral vision since I was always driving through deer country and you had to be aware of any movement along the tree and crop lines to the right and left, which required peripheral vision. He said I'd be happier with the lined lenses and I think he was right. But as I understand it, a good part of the problem you're experiencing comes from lenses that rest an inch or more from the lens of the eye. There is that dead air space that both the lenses and your eyes have to focus through. Implanting the lenses corrects the actual focus point of the eye so the images hit the retina properly without having to adjust for the gap between your eye and the lenses. It fixes the focus point to the right place and the varifocal lens allows you to find the sweet spot of optimum vision by moving your eye slightly rather than making the aging muscles of the eye flex the actual lens (which is hardening with age) into the right position to bring the image into focus. He did warn me that part of the adjustment period will be getting used to the correct amount of light coming into the eye again. The cataract has dimmed the amount of light coming into the eye, hence the need for brighter and brighter lights to make things clear. He says that there's a good chance that my lighted magnifier will be too bright for me to use once the surgery is done, not because my eyes are hypersensitive, but because they simply don't require as much light to see well. At any rate, we'll see how things go and I'll keep you apprised.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Very interesting information Debbie - thank you so much! I'll do some more research and ask my doctor more informed questions when the time comes.
    Wendy

Images
    And I made my goal for the weekend! I completed part 2 of Autumn Garden Labyrinth. I was so disgusted with myself, though. It wasn't until I finished it up, dismounted my pattern and looked at the whole thing that I realized that on the lower right side, I had picked up two colors incorrectly and the lower right and lower left sides didn't match. So I ended up picking out about 40 stitches and putting them back in using the correct colors. <shakes head> Stupid. I even checked the symbols. But the pattern uses both a standard type forward slash and a boldface forward slash for two different colors. I just picked up the wrong one. The other was a case of up pointing and side pointing arrows and I did the same thing on that one. I knew one was a shade of orange and the other was a shade of gold. They were both just the wrong shades of those colors. But it's fixed now. As I haven't posted a picture since I completed part 1, my before picture is from the end of part 1. I didn't think to take a picture on Thursday evening, but I was just past the midpoint, working the right side. The next part isn't due until a week from Wednesday, so I'll work on Merry Xmas when I can until the new part is released.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Progress 9-27-17.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	8406End of Part 1 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Completed Part 2 10-22-17.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	8407 End of Part 2
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Oohh Debbie, how lovely! I love those rich Autumn colours. Picking out stitches is a real pain, but it's a good thing you discovered it in time. I have eight arrows in my chart, four white and four black, and what I do with the left and right ones is hold my finger out in whichever direction while I'm looking for the correct symbol, otherwise I'm sure to make a mistake! I can handle the up and down ok though.

How many installments are in this beauty?
    Wendy

Images
    Eight. The final installment will come in April. I have an idea of how the overall piece will look because she's doing a 4 seasons set based on this design. Summer is already out so it gives me an idea of the finished piece. I picked this one largely for the colors, although I've welcome the chance to work on a "sampler-style" design. They were really popular back in the 70's and 80's, but they never particularly appealed to me then. I did one for my mother because she liked them, but that was it. I've studied more of the history of samplers now and am starting to have a bit more interest in them. I've also got the materials to do a classic band sampler when I get around to it. Although I have to admit I don't think I'd ever have the heart for something like "Death by Cross Stitch" or "Life After Death" by Long Dog Samplers. I suspect they would drive me nuts!
    Last edited by Debbie Kluge; 10-23-2017 at 03:12 PM.
    Debbie K. in Illinois