Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: September Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    You're doing some beautiful work, Debbie - it must be like child's play after your Lilac Lights! What a shame that the kit didn't provide enough floss. I did one kit and had that problem. I had to re-order right from the company about four different times, so no more kits for me! This was all pre-GK though, no more need to buy kits. Are you liking the Solaria fabric, and is it stiff like Aida?
    <laughs> It does make a nice break from the complexity of Lilac Lights, that's for sure. Shore Patrol was one of those designs that I looked at for a long time (as in years!) before I purchased it. I seldom purchase kits and then only when I simply can't get the design any other way. I can't say I've ever had a good experience with a kit. I've either had to replace the floss, the fabric, or both, which makes a kit an extremely expensive investment. But I loved this design and it was the only way it was available. Even with that, the only reason I bought it was because I happened to find it on clearance at a Hobby Lobby for $9.95 (it was originally about a $50 kit) so I figured it was worth it. I waited several years more before I started it, and by the time I realized it was short on floss, it had been discontinued by the manufacturer for so long they couldn't provide the matching floss. I did try. I'd actually considered replacing both the floss and fabric before I ever started it, but never got around to doing it. And then I needed a traveling project quickly and just decided to stitch it as is. I know better so it's my own fault. But I'm much happier with it now.

As for the fabric, yes I like it. It's soft and easy to handle. It was one of the first pre-gridded fabrics I ever saw and when I found it I purchased a yard of it. I originally bought it for working Looking Down Yosemite Valley and have used some of the remaining fabric for other things. It's a 22 count and Solaria recommended you work it over two (<shakes head> Who would want to do that?) so it's gridded in increments of 20 rather than in increments of 10. But I really haven't found that to be a problem. If I need the added reference I just use red fishing line or Easy Count griddling thread and run a gridding stitch between the pre-gridded lines to add the 10 markers and I'm fine. I found it originally on the Solaria Gallery website. The designer is Stoyanka Ivanova and she is based out of Bulgaria. I remember the fabric did ship from overseas. I'm not sure it is available any longer. At least it's not on the Solaria site where I first found it. It's possible it was manufactured by someone else and she just retailed it, but nothing on the website at the time indicated that. It's too bad. It's nice fabric.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamarack29 View Post
    I took a photo of our yard as of this morning and it is such a change from 2 weeks ago when we had big piles of dirt and ankle breaking ground out front with an old sewer tank in the middle that had to be dug out. We got the big part done with the machines yesterday and have a front lawn area now. Now for our work to begin with marking out garden vs lawn and getting it ready to plant grass seed. And doing some clean up and getting the stair and such safe for winter at least on the decks and getting on that front one. We are getting the needs done, then picking away at the rest as we can before snow.

Attachment 8310
    That is definitely major league landscaping! I don't envy you. Ours was bad enough. But it's going to be lovely when you get it finished. I hope you post a finished picture once everything is done. I'd love to see it.

I'm holding off on the "finished" picture of our yard until next spring. While everything else was finished last fall. the landscaping didn't go in until this past May. So it's still trying to get established. We haven't lost any plants and as long as we don't lose any over the winter, next spring should be great. I was talking about all the work we've done to this house with my husband's step-mother when we were in Akron (Ohio) last weekend for the holiday, and commented to her that my husband's mother is probably rolling over in her grave. She would never let anyone change anything in this house. We inherited it when she died and other than the floor plan, I don't think there's anything in it that remains the way she had it. We've taken whole rooms down to studs and joists and rebuilt them, replaced all of the infrastructure (water lines, sewer lines, electrical, heating, air conditioning, etc.), replaced all of the exterior doors, repaired cracks in walls, removed and replaced trim work, replaced the greated majority of the windows, reinsulated, recarpeted, gotten rid of the sea green and gold she used to decorate and largely replaced it with cranberry and cream, added decks on both the front and back of the house, added an outside storage shed that's painted to match the house, and now have redone the outside. It's still a work in progress, but it's a lot different than it used to be. In fact, I think the only thing we left the same is the exterior color of the house. It's still red! It helps to have a manufacturing engineer for a husband, and one who enjoys working with his hands and is good at it. Most of the work we've done ourselves. The exceptions are the things that really require a professional contractor: (1) the upgraded electrical panel (the house had 40 amp service when we moved in and we had a new power panel installed that brought in 200 amp service - my husband did all of the interior wiring himself - as he made his living building wiring harnesses for passenger aircraft for a number of years and knows how to read wiring diagrams and code in his sleep, we figured that was safe), (2) the heating and central air (the house had hot water heat and no air conditioning so ducting had to be added), (3) the sewer work (we had absolutely no experience there), (4) the majority of the water lines (it was included as part of the sewer work - we'd already replumbed the kitchen and the bathroom water lines ourselves), and (5) the lot regrading and landscaping. I suppose I should add that this work has been ongoing for the last 20 years. You don't know how much I celebrated the day we finally closed up the last holes in the interior walls from having the hot water radiators removed! But it keeps us busy and out of trouble, right?
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Wow Debbie, that's some work in progress! It sounds like you have an almost-new house other than the outside walls. It sounds lovely!
    Wendy

Images
    Pretty much. It's not large (only about 1,250 square feet), but it's perfect for us.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Here's my progress on Lesbia - I've reached the bottom!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lesbia 004.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	8315Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lesbia 007.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	8316
    Wendy

Images
    Progress on Raquette Lake,

Name:	before.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	8317afterClick image for larger version. 

Name:	aft.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	8318

Wendy congrats on reaching the bottom! Not long now before the lovely Lady is finished
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Thanks everyone! We had no choice, but to do the landscaping as the old house sat front and center in that photo. And an old cement sewer tank we did not want to collapse in on someone. I actually fell through the ground at our Chetwynd office in summer 2016 into an old, disused wooden sewer tank and that got use thinking we really needed to deal with this one. We did not care if it happened 100 years after we are gone, we don't want it to happen to anyone else because they may not fall and bounce as well as I do. It has poured rain since I took that photo so nothing more has been done as we are a giant mud pit. Have to wait for it to dry out a bit before we continue. And for me to come back to camp. I leave tomorrow and hopefully by the end of the day I know for how long. We may be working a 5 on and 2 off shift structure or a 10 and 4 or a just go until it is done.

Debbie that is much like getting a new house! That really is a lot of work, but it is what you wanted and that is what matters. Our place is the same size as yours. We went from 750 sq feet to 1256 and we have no idea what to do with all the space. The 750 also included the outside to the point of the hitch on the old ones so not all of it was inside and 1/5 of that was a hallway. Our livable space was essentially a tiny home before so 1250 feels like a mansion

Wendy seeing the bottom of Lesbia is absolutely fantastic! Looking so forward to see her finished.

Abi yours is coming along nicely too. That sky is gorgeous!

I forgot to take a photo on Thursday before I started so I have to use my photo from last Monday. With all the rain I got a fair bit done. Before I can work on it again I have to find new scroll rods as the ones I have have failed. The velcro is already letting go and one of the knobs broke. I just bought them in March so I don't think it is worth it to try to fight with them to the end of this project. I just put in an order with Hearthside for the proper 36 inch scroll bars and a second flip frame (as per you guys' advice) so when I have a second project on the go it is easier to switch them out.

Before: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1298[1].jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	8319After (sorry it is sideways): Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1303[1].jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	8320
    Tamara - Current GK WIP S3743 Making the Magic Potion

“Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.”

Terry Pratchett

Images
    Abi and Tamara, thank you so much!

Oh Tamara, I can just imagine the mud. I hope it doesn't take too long to dry out, so that your lawn can start growing before winter. How long does your camp go on? I love the new colours that are appearing in Magic Potion! Next will be the windows and even lighter colours - a stitching vacation for you! You're doing beautiful work. Good luck with your new scroll rods - hopefully they arrive soon.

Abi, what lovely detail is in your sky, especially the new part that you've stitched with the blues appearing! This sky is much nicer than on Monarch. Are you enjoying it more than Monarch?
    Wendy

Images
    So I thought I would share. I managed to get to my cousin's house yesterday and took my camera and tripod with me. Here is a decent picture of the final framed version of Lilac Lights. I really like the colors she chose for framing. I think it suits the piece and matches her living room well. She framed it with conservation glass, which should keep it from fading over time.

Name:	Lilac Lights Framed.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	8323
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Great work everyone, a few days late but here are my before and after pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0582.jpg   IMG_0583.jpg  
    Angela
    GK: Corner Of The Villa
    Other Projects: Cartography I and Spring Montage