Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: September Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Thank you so much Debbie!

I love your hummingbird, and your legend that you've designed! I hope you'll be able to take a photo that will show the iridescence - it will be lovely! Did you say that this is a retirement gift for your boss? He/she will be thrilled. Wow, you've made beautiful progress on your Shore Patrol. I guess colonoscopies are even good for those who only wait!
    Wendy

Images
    Thanks Debbie, my needle seems to have run out of fuel as I haven't done a single stitch since last sal In all honesty though my hands are playing up again so maybe the rest will do them good.
    I love your little Hummingbird, great choice for a card
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    Thank you so much Debbie!

I love your hummingbird, and your legend that you've designed! I hope you'll be able to take a photo that will show the iridescence - it will be lovely! Did you say that this is a retirement gift for your boss? He/she will be thrilled. Wow, you've made beautiful progress on your Shore Patrol. I guess colonoscopies are even good for those who only wait!
    In proofreading this before posting I came to realize that the following paragraph is something of a rant. Venting did make me feel a bit better (and my husband has already heard it all, and at much greater length) so I'll leave it here. Feel free to skip it if you aren't interested in the woes of the State of Illinois and it's residents.

Thanks, Wendy. Yes, the card is for my former boss at University of Illinois. I'm really glad he finally decided to retire. He's been under a lot of stress and in talking with his wife, I found that she was really concerned about him because the stress is staring to interfere with his health. As I'm sure many of you have heard, the State of Illinois is in a dire mess financially. We've had corruption at the state government level for many years, and the party politics that comes out of Chicago has compounded the mess. It's a long, torturous, and complex tale and I won't bore you with it here, but suffice it to say, when Governor Rauner was elected two years ago on a platform of "let's treat government like a business" we were set up for disaster, and that's exactly what we got. His first target was the state pension plan, which was in dire straits due to years of routing the state contributions to other projects, and serious, long-term mismanagement. Rauner's plan was to simply get rid of it because the State couldn't afford to fund the outstanding liabilities, leaving people already retired without an income, and current employees on the brink of retirement with insufficient time to make up the shortfall. The State Supreme Court ruled that he couldn't do that (thank God!) But his attempt to do this with no regard to the people who would be hurt resulted in a serious split down party lines (the governor was Republican, but the legislature is controlled by Democrats) and both parties went to war. The result was that absolutely nothing got done. No one would compromise on anything. The State went almost 2.5 years without a budget. We moved from one emergency funding action to the next, and several times the State government closed down completely for several days due to lack of funding. Many programs were terminated (primarily in the social services area - things like the school meal programs, Medicaid programs for the elderly and the developmentally disabled, etc.), and several small university had to close their doors due to lack of funding and have never recovered. All universities state-wide showed a marked decrease in enrollment because students were afraid to attend one of them only to have the school close or their program be eliminated due to lack of funding. The University here in Charleston is regularly ranked as one of the best mid-sized universities in the midwest for the quality of the education it provides, its small class sizes, direct learning from PhD professors, and its graduates' job success rate following graduation. But Eastern has had a 30% loss in enrollment, and lost 45% of the staff to lay offs, reduction in force, or resignations without replacement. The financial losses to the State have been incalculable. So that brings us back to Jay, my former boss. About five years before I retired, we had a department head change and suffice it to say, in most people's opinion, it was not a change for the better. He's superficial and image is everything. If it doesn't reflect well on him then he refused to allow it. He'll spend a huge amount of money renovating the student lounge/mailroom (because it's visible), but turns down spending requests for operating supplies or replacement equipment for the undergrad teaching labs (which is not nearly as visible, and furthermore , they're only undergrads and don't do research.) None of us thought he would last that long, but the man is good at fawning over the higher-ups. He also has little or no use for any employee who does not hold faculty status, so he largely considers his support staff as dead weight. Needless to say, there was absolutely no morale among the staff all all! As business manager, it was Jay's job to hold it all together, execute the department head's directives, and get the money allocated for whatever he wanted done (or that needed to be done) and it was seriously taking its toll on him. He'd been with the department for close to 35 years in this capacity and he was really amazing. In talking with Kathy (Jay's wife) at the retirement reception, she was seriously glad he had decided to call it quits. And it's telling that when I asked who would be replacing him, the answer was that they were reallocating many of his duties to existing staff and they are not planning to replace him at this time. <shakes head> This man ran that department and was liked and relied on by everyone - faculty, staff, and college level administration alike. All I can say, is I'm glad I got out when I did!

And yes, colonoscopies are good for progress on traveling needlework projects!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh Debbie sounds like you and your boss made the right decisions x we do have the same here in the uk too - too much spent on fascia and not enough on background - the important things x
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk