Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: April Friday - Monday SAL

Images
    Thanks Angela It might be all shades of brown that your stitching but it looks really lovely and growing well

Thanks Wendy The detailing on the start of your new row looks great, despite just coming back from your holiday you made good progress

Tamara thank you Well done stitching all those confetti sts, your doing a good job and it looks great.
    Last edited by Abi; 05-02-2017 at 10:40 PM.
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    Thank you Abi!

Angela, thank goodness you are on a hill and are safe from the flooding. I saw some photos and things look really bad.

Tamara, you've made great progress! Those empty spaces are quickly filling in and shrinking. How is your arm coming along? If you are going to look for a new frame, consider checking out the Mark II floor stand. They are made by Hearthside Craftworks, which is based in Calgary, and can accommodate many sizes of scroll rods. I've got one and wouldn't change it for anything! Angela has one too. Tammy, one of our Forum members who hasn't been here in a while has written a very comprehensive review on hers, so I won't go into any details here about it. Here's the link for you: http://goldenkiteforum.com/showthrea...orstand-Review! After reading it, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Wendy

Great progress everyone!

Im loving all the yellows although there's a lot of browns and greens in there as well.
    Wendy the detail is worth it but it's slowed me down to about 150 stitches a day because the confetti is so heavy.

Images
    I can well imagine all the confetti, Sherry, but already the beautiful detail is showing because of it!
    Wendy

Images
    Wonderful progress this week!

Sherry - You must be so excited to be adding a new color. The detail is already visible.

Angela - Your villa is beautiful. The woman has such a sweet face. I know the color pallet is similar to your map, but it's interesting how the same colors can be used to different effect. I think your map exudes antiquity - the shades of brown and rust just make it feel old, while the villa gives more of a sense being in a "homey" space. This may just be me, though. My home contains a lot of hardwood furniture, all in shades of golden and red oak so I'm accustomed to living in this color pallet and may equate that with that feeling of being home.

Wendy - Lesbia continues to progress. I love the window detail on the left. Did you take anything with you to work on while you were in Scotland? I always have to have something because traveling gives me the stitching itch. I know myself well enough to know that if I don't take something with me, before two days have gone by, I'll be looking for a needlework store to buy something. And when that happens, I'll end up getting not only a pattern, fibers and fabric, but a stretcher or snap frame, scissors, needles, and all of the other little items it takes to work on a project. It's just cheaper if I pack it all to start with! Of course, that won't stop me from purchasing new patterns and fabric if I find a needlework store along the way, but at least I don't end up buying all of the other stuff, too!

Tamara - I'm amazed at how quickly Potion is progressing. I know it will slow down once you get lower down into the pattern, but it is moving quickly right now. I have to say that you must have the patience of a saint when it comes to confetti. I could never leave those unfinished stitches on the left. They'd drive me crazy. I'd do them if only to have them finished.

And let me second Wendy's comment about looking at the Mark II by Hearthside Craftworks. I purchased mine in June 2004 and I love it as much today as I did when it first arrived. I have to say that it also looks as good today as it did when I bought it. I participated in a stitcher's retreat in January and I took the frame with me. There were 80 people at the retreat and I'll bet a good half of them stopped and watched me use it and then asked me about the frame and where they could buy one. I belong to a Facebook stitching list that has over 12,000 members so the same questions tend to come up ever couple of months. One of the big ones is how do you select a standing frame? While I will note that the Mark II from Hearthside Craftworks is my preference for frames, rather they telling them to buy this one, I provide a set of guidelines that I developed over the years for analyzing a frame for purchase. They are based on what I considered important features in a standing frame. In case anyone here might find them useful, I'll post them in a separate note.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images

Guidelines for Selecting a Standing Needlework Frame

There are a lot of good frames out there and we all have our favorites (mine is the Mark II from Hearthside Craftworks). What I would suggest is that if you decide you want a standing frame, you'll need to determine what features are important to you and then look for a frame that offers those features. After having purchases several different frames over the years, these are the guidelines I use:

1. Accessibility to the Back Make sure it has an easy way to access the back of the work. This is #1 on my list of requirements. It's the first thing I look for and if the frame doesnt provide this it simply isnt considered. One of the most popular frames on the market requires that you unmount the work to access the back! What a pain for tying off threads.
    2. Support of the Work And this is #2. Again, a make or break requirement. If you like working relatively large pieces (like fully stitched artwork conversions or large Chatelaine designs), you should look for a frame that supports the work from two sides. The work gets heavy once you have it mounted on the scroll rods or a large snap frame, and once you start adding thread, beads, crystals, etc. it gets even heavier. A frame that supports from both sides keeps the work much more stable. I had a frame once that supported only from one side and when I went to work larger projects, the clamp had to be so tight to keep the work in place that I kept stripping out the tightening knobs that held the frame and then the scroll frame would fall out. Very frustrating. And even if I could get it mounted, the frame still had to be supported with one hand to keep it from wobbling or falling over because the weight of the frame caused it to over balance.
    3. Adjustability - You want to make sure you can get it into a comfortable position for you to work. That includes ensuring it will fit to the chair you plan to sit in when you use it (standing chair, recliner, sofa, etc.). Height adjustability is essential. My frame will vary as much as 6" in height depending on whether I'm working in my recliner, the platform rocker, on the sofa, in a dining room chair, or in whatever chair happens to be provided in the hotel or condo Im staying in while on vacation.
    4. Size - Make sure it will handle the largest scroll rods or snap frames you think you may need. I got rid of a frame after only using it twice, because I didn't realize when I bought it that the largest scroll rods it would handle were 14" wide.
    5. Disassembly - If you think you'll need to periodically store it or you want to travel with it, make sure it disassembles and reassembles easily.
    6. Expandability - Going with a frame that can be expanded can save you some money in your initial purchase. When I bought my Mark II, I went with a base setup. That included a 40" stabilizer bar that could handle scroll rods anywhere from 6" - 36" in width, one flip frame, which is the piece that allows the assembled frame to rotate 360 degrees for easy access to the back, two sets of scroll rods, and one pair of 8" extender bars that hold them. But I did expand it later, adding both shorter and longer stabilizer bars, additional flip frames, 10 and 12 extender bars, and an assortment of scroll rods in a variety of different sizes. Going with an expandable system also gives you some leeway in case you miscalculate on your needs. Let's say you purchase the frame figuring you will never work work a project on anything larger than 24 rods. A year later you get a design that requires 36 rods. An expandable system will allow you to add only those items needed to work the larger design rather than having to replace the entire frame.

So, these are the guidelines I use. You may have others that you want to add to this list. But having a starting point for analyzing a standing frame for your use does make the process of selecting one easier and will mean that once you have purchased it, you have a much better chance of being happy with it for a long time to come.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Thank you guys for the advice! Wendy that was a great review and discussion on the stand. And Debbie that is such a great set of guidelines! I really thank you for sharing those. Some of the things in there I already had a hazy idea of them in my mind, but you have them put in a logical way to help with the decision. I figured out a way to make my stand work for now by getting my laptop cart to hold up the other end from my current stand. Then I can still flip it easily top towards me so I can see the back, but it does not just flop everywhere. And I can stitch 2 handed now. I get trapped in my chair though as it is a bit of a work to get it all in the right places.

I emailed Hearthside with a few questions and they said they can work with my current scroll frame and that I will need a 40 inch bar for it. They also said if I order now they will have it ready for me to get in September and only charge me once it is ready to come. They actually seemed to like that I would like to do a bit of an advance order. So I think I will order one and then over the summer on my days home figure out how to move my stitching corner in my room around to fit it. I really don't want to have to move to the front room where Dad blasts sports on the big tv all the time. Yes I turn 41 this year and yes I live with my Dad, but it is in a house we co-own. I get the house when he passes and I am in no hurry to have more room for that reason. I have the master suite which is huge, but I have so much stuff so this will just mean I have incentive to get rid of some of it to make room for my new stand.
    Tamara - Current GK WIP S3743 Making the Magic Potion

Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.

Terry Pratchett

Images
    Helen and John are great people to work with. And the stands they make are pieces of art - all handcrafted and beautiful. Actually, they are great people, period. My husband and I had he chance to meet both of them about eight years ago. We went to Canmore, Alberta for our 25th wedding anniversary, which is very close to Calgary. We spent the day with Helen and John and had the most wonderful time. You couldn't ask for better people.
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Debbie, thank you for your comments on Lesbia! I didn't take any stitching with me, because I knew there wouldn't be any time for it other than bus time, and I can't look down or I'll get motion sick. What I had planned to do was buy some yarn and a crochet hook to make a couple of twiddle muffs like Chris does, but can you believe this - I couldn't find a yarn shop anywhere in either England or Scotland - unbelievable! I would have been able to crochet with minimal looking down. I finally found one on the second-last day of our trip, but by that time it was too late. I was going nuts though, with nothing to keep my fingers occupied!

Thank you for posting your guidelines. I can imagine that Helen and John have received many, many orders from stitchers who have read them. It would have been so nice for you to have met them - sounds like a wonderful day, and it's great to hear that they are as nice in person as they seem on the telephone.

Tamara, if you do buy a Mark II you will never regret it - you'll love it more and more as time passes!
    Wendy