Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1226 The Love Letter

Images
    You have made a fantastic progress, Sarah. It's beautiful and you are going really fast.
    Mireille
    GK - WIP: Virgin and Child with Saints and Donor.
    GK - WIP: The Adoration of the Kings.

Thanks, ladies! I love sharing my progress on here where you all understand the level of challenge in these patterns.

Brilliant progress Sarah! Seriously thinking of doing future projects in tent stitch. Onthe backgrond areas I might go for basket weave rather than tent stitch. Though I am just not confident my tension is good enough even in a frame to stop warping, no matter what type of tent stitch I do.

Rachele, I think my tension is pretty loose, compared to the results of different stitching methods I've seen from other people online. On this project, I've been very mindful of the coverage of the darker stitches as well, fluffing them up as I go to make sure they're laying nicely. I think that has helped keep a looser tension also. If you tend to stitch tightly, you might need to worry more about warping since any affect it makes would be exaggerated.

Images
    Beautiful stitching! And so much progress! I look forward to seeing more of this one!
    "But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers so much more."

Hans Christian Anderson

Images
    Sarah, inspired by you, now I am trying 25ct linen continental stitch. The coverage is acceptable, but now my small project is half way done, and I find the fabric tilts a little. Right now I am trying to stretch it back using a frame. I think maybe next project I should use a stiffer fabric. That brings me to congress cloth. I have only heard of it yet never have a chance to see it. It seems you have tried both these two fabric, how do you feel about the coverage of congress cloth, better than 25ct linen, worse than it, or about the same?

Ingrid,
    Sorry I didn't see this post sooner! When I stitched a half stitch on 32ct linen, I was able to block it after it was washed and it straighted up. I think I prefer evenweave for half stitch now, since it is a sturdier fabric than linen, and doesn't have the occasional slubs in the weave, like linen does. And I don't like continental stitch - it warps much worse than regular half stitch does.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golden Kite misc 2.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	276.8 KB 
ID:	7229As for congress cloth, it is very strong! It's much like a canvas, rather than a fabric, so it holds its shape very well. I was a bit nervous that the coverage wouldn't be as good since it only comes in 24ct, but with what I've done on it, the coverage seems very nice - maybe even a bit better than the 25ct linen I'm doing The Love Letter on. I haven't gotten very far - here is a picture of my progress on the piece I started on Congress Cloth. Nothing against the pattern or the fabric - the reason this one got shelved was because I received some special order projects from Etsy customers and when I came back to personal stitching, other projects were calling me more loudly.

Images
    Sarah, thanks for your answer. It has all the information I need. A moment ago I just ordered for a piece of congress cloth of light blue, hoping this will help to improve the coverage. The speed of tenting is so attractive, yet I am not sure if I like the final effect. Keep on struggling in between. And at the same time ordered a 32ct silk gauze also for a try of GK tenting. I failed once trying to work 2 over 1 full stitch with 25ct linen, but it comes back again and again to my mind, urging me to try again. So many possibilities to try, can't resist any of them....

loving to see your progress. It is really inspiring