Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: April Friday - Monday GK SAL

Carmen (irises are my favourite flower, love them, especially the big fat Germanicas), Wendy, Chris,Angela, Abi. Thank you. Slow progress but still stitching.

I saw the pictures on the news yesterday of Ft.Mac. It looked terrifying. Carmen, I hope everyone you know is safe.

Images
    Angela, I know how it can drive parents crazy! But ... if it all works out for them just imagine the life lessons they will learn - and they will come to appreciate home much more. I hope the youngest son finds something that takes his interest.
    Wendy

Images
    Angela, tell him he's lucky he wasn't shipped off to a real farm for the whole first year after grad like I was, digging trenches, post holes, bringing in hay, mucking horse crap, chickens! Weeding an endless rows of veggies! Picking fruit, apples etc...My grandparents had a huge farm, and orchard, the works, if you weren't going to college, they took you for a whole year, paid you too, but it gave you a first job to learn in. I think it scared my younger sister into college lol! But it did give me a great work ethic and skills in retail( the fruit stand by the road, etc) At my first job after the boss hired me because he knew a " farmer's kid " would be a good worker lol, sadly there's not many people with farm relatives anymore...Or kids actually wanting to help them really

Cleaning is almost done than I can stitch for days till work starts! Lol

Happy Stitching
    "But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers so much more."

Hans Christian Anderson

Images
    Thanks guys, I hope it works out for them, I'm just so tiered of worrying all the time. I like to enjoy my life at least a little. lol
    Angela
    GK: Corner Of The Villa
    Other Projects: Cartography I and Spring Montage

Images
    Extremely hard work Carmen, but I agree about the work ethic. My husband was a partner in an accounting firm and he learned that the accounting students they hired who had grown up and worked on farms had the best work ethic of all. I can't remember how many times he mentioned it over the years!
    Wendy

Images
    That's actually quite funny to me because there were a couple of ministers at church years ago who hated the fact that we were farmers. One of them even went so far as to tell my father that he was a farmer because he couldn't submit to authority (work for someone else), but that showed how much he knew. Farmers have to have a lot of self-discipline or they don't survive, and you have to submit to lots of different authorities - a lot more than the person who just works 9 to 5. The bottom line was that these two men didn't like us because we knew how to think for ourselves. They've both long since left the church so we had the last laugh, even if they did make our lives hell for a while.

For some reason, I couldn't raise the GK site last night, so this is my first chance to congratulate Carmen on her job. I am SO happy for you. When my husband got out of the military 44 years ago, it took him 4 months to find a job - nobody wanted to hire veterans in those days - and the anxiety was horrible. So I always send up extra prayers when someone is looking for work.

Angela, my kids have been out of the house since 1999 and 2004, and I *still* worry. It never goes away. That's the part nobody tells you when you have kids.

I've been thinking about all you Canadian folks with these awful fires, and hope that none of you are directly affected. 100,000 evacuees was the last I heard - unfathomable.
    Meg Lark

Images
    Glenda, that is so funny - sad but funny - two ministers of the church making your life hell!

Meg, that must have been terrible - your husband serving his country and then unable to get a job.
    Wendy