Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 199 The Marquise de Pompadour WIP

Carmen, this is a gorgeous picture to stitch with all that fabric and its folds, and you have made great progress in such a short amount of time. Really going to enjoy watching this one grow. Though I don't feel like stitching at the moment, I have 2632 - Princess Leonilly in my stash and I look at the picture with all that fabric and drool. Then I remember I don't feel like stitching, so Marquise and Leonilly together might just get me back on my flowers. .

I looked up Madame de Pompadour on good old Wikipedia. I love that they have her occupation as Chief Mistress to Louis XV.

Images
    She was such a smart women, married young, got noticed by the king after having a child already with her husband, the king still disbanded the marriage in order to have her, she had to leave her child and husband to become mistress to the king, but her husband and child became higher gentry, acquired a lot of land and lived very well, the husband even remarried and she was set up after she was not the mistress anymore, the king only lived a few years after he let her go and he says in a journal it was his biggest mistake to have let her go...she made friends with the Queen and was accepted in many circles of the court, her wit and laugh were welcomed and as in my painting she is stunning in her gowns! She was one of a few truely independent women of that era, had her own estate, finances and household. In my chart painting, you see her writing letters, reading books, there's bookcases and a writing desk around her showing her intelligence, her look is one of contemplation I believe...her small dog awaits her leisure But yes, The gown is where it's at! Luxury like no one else! Marie came after her, but she set the standard for beauty ! I wish her other awesome painting was a chart too, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	6666so peachy pretty in the garden!

Images
    Wow, what history lesson - thanks so much Carmen!! I love it!
    Wendy

Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Views:	17 
Size:	563.4 KB 
ID:	6667Click image for larger version. 

Views:	15 
Size:	282.3 KB 
ID:	6668Friday night, just an hour and a bit before bed since last time, been too busy to stitch the last two days, with work and mom in law about I wanted to get a page into the Marquise to get a feel of what a page is, like for the work, as this chart is 10.5 pages across roughly and my Lady and Unicorn is 21 across...I'm starting to get a feel for how truely big these charts are, and how wonderful it is to see colors converge and melt and become something, even what I thought of as a simple curtain area is becoming beautiful and complex...I can't wait to get to the fabric and roses and see her emerge from the chart the photo is almost too simple to go with the chart!

Blog Entries
    Images
    fabulous progress Carmen as I said you may yet finish before Wendy definitely before me

I love this type of history I find anything about kings and queens so fascinating - not our current royal family but past royalty - Henry VIII etc I devoured it at school until they changed it and started to teach politics etc - that I didn't like at all mind you I could put a Bill through Parliament by the end of it lol
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    You're making great progress, Carmen. I assume there isn't much confetti in there just yet. I'll be interested to see how stitching on top works when you do get to some. I'd imagine it'd be best to do those colours before the others, so that the thread on the back is well and truly stitched over. I love the lacy bits of her dress in the second picture! How many pages are there in this design?

Images
    Lol, I actually hadn't looked that far ahead Glenda!
    Upon scanning all the way to the bottom of the PDF file, I discovered 88 pages, but the last page of each row is only 1/2 a page, so I'm saying 81 solid pages...! Than it got real as I looked at the back page of my Lady and Unicorn and it said page 252! But once again it's a 1/2 page for the end of the row..so 246 solid pages...!!!! I knew Lady and Unicorn will be a 'life' project, the orginal tapestry was 5 years in the making roughly they believe, I've given myself the time to enjoy that one and feel no pressure for speed. I wanted a long term project and I have it now lol!
    The Marquise I want to finish quickly and see her, and have a giant chart finished, hopefully in the next year, stitching her has been a revelation of what I might expect with my tapestry...I want to not 'perfect' but solidify my technique and learn from the Marquise now before starting the Lady; the Lady is too important to me to rush my skills at this point, and now that I know what can be expected of that chart I need to get a good ways into the Marquise before I even start on it I think.
    By confetti, do you speak of one stitch for a color every 3-4 sections kinda thing? There was a stitch in this row that was only twice the whole row, there was a few like that in the first and second rows too, I've been trying to do those "odd" symbol colors first, than once through most of the odds, and do the main color for that row last, the book shelf is in the next page, so I bet I'll come across a lot more odd stitches .. Maybe some truely weird ones as sometimes it seems the color choice is way off but it somehow blends when complete ! Like the occasional bright pink stitch in row 2, it just works

Images
    I think I'd consider 246 pages a life sentence rather than a life project. I'll be interested to see just how long you do take to finish the Marquise. If you finish it in a year, even without working on the lady and unicorn at the same time, I'll know that parking definitely does help with the speed. I read up on parking a lot a few months ago and I believe it is faster, but my analytical mind just won't let go of some things. I'd be worrying that there'd be a stitch just over to the right that I could pick up at the same time, especially when it's one of those colours with only very scattered stitches (confetti). I'd see it as a waste of thread to start a new thread just for that stitch if I could zigzag down the page and pick them all up with the same length of thread.

I've analysed it to death and I know that it's either be frugal with the thread OR do parking and save heaps of time. I've got a pattern that appears to have large patches that use just a few colours so I think I'll try parking 'properly' with it. I already use some of the principles of it but just don't actually park many threads. It'd be hopeless to use it on my current project but the last one I did had a LOT of different cream colours so I got a fair bit of practice in while doing it.

I have trouble putting my blinkers on and not looking past the bit I'm stitching on at the moment, partly because I'm so analytical but mainly because I hate starting off and finishing so much, especially with blended threads and when using more than two strands. While I know blended threads have their place, I'm really a bit over them at the moment!! I like being able to just grab a colour and get stuck in! I'm slowly getting used to finishing off so that I don't hate it quite as much. I know the more I fight it, the more I'll hate it. I got used to backstitch and the only time it bothers me now is when it's hard to keep track of where I'm supposed to stitch it (designs with lots of similar colours in the pattern).

Are you using acid-free tape to hold the thread ends down?

Images
    It's just regular scotch tape as it's very temporary and they the threads stuck there will get cut off once I'm done row 3.

Yes, it's going to take a long long time! Lol
    I think the Marquise will be about a year, I might finish her first top pages before starting the Lady to really get my flow and stitches up to par
    I'm not doing the classic parking technically, ( line by line row by row) I see the rows as mini projects, each row has its own colors etc, I lose only about an inch of thread to start and end a blended thread, almost nothing for solids, compared to flipping and tying etc as I did before on kits, I'm saving thread I believe!
    I start a solid color with a loop, so no loss there at all, I than stitch that color all the way to the bottom of the row, if I think it won't continue down into the next page below( I check too!) I close the thread to the side with the 'other tiffs'. Blended is a tad different as I start with a tiny knot, go 'in' at the 'tiff row' do my stitches down etc, than close off, see the knots and tiffs here in a picture I took last week,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	583.5 KB 
ID:	6669as you see in the picture here and I pop up where that color should be, do my stitch, travel down the row if there's more, or I go back to the tiff row and end it, this is me ending by looping in a stitch and securing it by grabbing a line of the Aida to hold it tight.
    My tiff row or ending/starting row is the third row into the next next section, the row before it secures it all, this pic shows the ends from row 1 ( in row 3's space) and row 2s tiffs just starting at that time ending in row 4's space, to be secured by row 3's stitches. Before I start the next row I " dig up the tiffs" and snip them off. There might be a whopping 1/8 inch of thread lose at the back, but the rest is held pretty solid by the row that went over the tails. I hope that makes sense!
    You can also see that if the color continues from the row into the next naturally..as in the symbol just keeps going...I follow it for that line, this also helps with keeping it from becoming a " farmers cross stitch " as one you-tuber called it, where you can see the rows due to parking/working only that rows colors...it creates an 'edge' between them apparently. I have parked a thread a row over knowing its continuing there if there ar no more stitches in the row, it's been very rare so far!
    If I only did 3 stitches etc, the needle and extra thread go directly onto the bobbin, ready for next time, I've modified it for speed and confetti is not that much of an issue unless it's more than 40 stitches away( the amount of thread I'd lose by ending and starting is my target stretch) to the next symbol, sometimes I've just stretched it, sometimes I hopped into the next row to grab that one stitch It's not set in stone to follow the ten down, it's just easy to follow with your eye, and marker, to mark them off...I really should do a boring video of me stitching for 20 minutes to really show the concept, I've mixed about 3 different ways to park into one from the videos I watched, I like how clean and concise it is to do and how much faster I feel stitching! Most of this way is from a Japanese chick I watched( not in English) and an Australian that was very neat... Hence the tiny ' tiffs' of thread ends
    Last edited by Firsthays; 04-11-2016 at 06:14 AM.

Images
    I might add that I have no life lol, it's just me and husband, and I work 4 days a week only, 7 hours a day, I have my dogs and cats, and I sail abit too, but my crafts are my time, I log maybe 3-4 hours a night if no one is visiting,( cross stitch and quilting) and days off can be a lot more especially in the winter when not working at all I do wish we had been able to have children but it wasn't in the cards for us
    So right after dinner and chores it's sewing room time usually for me I'm also hand quilting an Irish chain quilt right now also for my mother for Christmas. And have 2 baby quilts to finish by the fall for my neighbor whose having twins! Lucky her lol !