Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thread buying...What's best?

Images
    Wendy, season 6 has ended in the Netherlands. Last year. It was fun looking at how people lived in these days. The different in rank was of course terrible. But I was enthusiastic about the series. There isn't a lot on television these days. Well, that's only my opinion. But it gives me more time to stitch.
    Mireille
    GK - WIP: Virgin and Child with Saints and Donor.
    GK - WIP: The Adoration of the Kings.

Images
    Carmen, that's great that you can start your project in stages and you won't have bucket loads to do all at once. I love your fabric cover!

Chris, I hope Pete enjoys his fishing trip - I know you will!
    Wendy

Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	6612Fishing line is the Betsy! It's strong, slides very easily, and doesn't knot up unless I'm really not paying attention! I chose 2under 8over for my grid on the horizontal, as I work top to bottom per section per page it keeps me in my block better Or so I hope for this project! I'll grid down a page and a half worth than wait till I'm on that next page down set to grid the next page and half I think. Since this is the Marquise in the frame I'm tempted to start her abit a get a feel for the GK pattern and thread mix!
    I have her threads, I went out early today and used my 20%off total bill coupon Micheals just put out!( see their website if your Canadain!) I saved 21.45$! That's a lot of threads for free! They had everything but a few (15) so I'm kinda ready to go this evening if I get the first pages threads sorted out , threaded and ready!
    I did prep and sew the edges of The Lady fabric and man it's BIG in 14 count! I'm very happy with how I imagine it will be, years from now lol!
    There is a lot of floss in a giant pile on my desk right now...very intimidating!

Question, do you pre separate a few for the blended threads? Do you pre-cut your thread as if it's a kit?and than roll onto a bobbin? Or just cut as you go?
    Last edited by Firsthays; 03-30-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Images
    I'm opposite to most of the others because I blend the threads only when I need them. I often separate them again if I don't use a full length and put the threads back with their original colours. That's because I seem to find that the blended threads come out of the needles and I don't know what symbol they belong to, or I might leave a spare threaded needle (if I pre-thread too many) sitting there and then forget which colours it was. It takes no longer to blend the colours as I go and it gives me a little break from stitching to ease my back, my arms and my eyesight.

I wind my bobbins before I even start (I have a set already done) and if I run out of a bobbin I wind the next skein onto it straight away. I cut a length as I go. I have a very old armchair and I have a pin with a large head pushed right into each arm and that's my measure for the thread lengths. I cut them at 35 inches and that gives me nine lengths of thread from a skein, all exactly the same length. I work with a full length with blended threads and have got pretty good at pulling it right through so it doesn't knot up on the back. I'd rather undo the odd knot than be forever starting and finishing off threads!

Images
    I blend all of mine ahead of time because I dislike stopping to blend them. You and I are always opposite of each other Glenda! I use Floss-A-Way bags and put each whole skein in its own bag. I don't want to waste any time winding on bobbins, and there is no need with these bags.

I'll await your start, Carmen!
    Wendy

Images
    I think I'm opposite to most people, Wendy. I can still stitch pretty fast and things look okay when they're finished so that's good enough for me. I really, really think you need to try gridding and see whether it helps your speed. You need to give it a fairly good try because it takes a little bit of getting used to but you can always stop doing it if it doesn't help. You probably wouldn't take long to get used to it with the way you stitch.

I've been going to make covers like Carmen's for a long time but have never got around to it. Last year I did figure out how to put elastic around the bottom of my frame and put a piece of fabric (a pillowcase) through it so it sits in the right place and covers my bottom scroll rod (and the fabric around it). I don't think I could get it to sit as well if the elastic was threaded through fabric, plus this way I can wash the fabric without washing the elastic and losing its stretch.

Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	6613Well I got really good at winding my bobbins Top box is my old box, bottom box is all the threads for The Marquise de Pompadour's WIP, the multiples are in a ziploc awaiting their turn. The Marquise just fits in its own box so I'm relieved ! Once the Lady and Unicorn chart gets here I will make up a box for it as well I think, any copy cat thread I'll just stash and use the two boxes as one like you suggested I have 10 more rows of grid to go before I'll let myself start lol , I want to be able to just focus for that first row ! Thankfully I have one more day off work tomorrow to dedicate to the WIP and get some stitches in! Than I'll have to steal and hour or two over my working weekend
    In case you're wondering, that is a corner shelf that I put in the corner of the frame to hold my stuff, I can move it about the frame and it sits above the fabric nicely, and rests on the QSnap edges, not the fabric; my cover seems to hold it down also I might attach elastic to hold it better maybe but I'll see

Blog Entries
    Images
    Isn't it great how we all have our own little ways of sitting and doing our stitching I don't think any of us do the same all of the time I have most of my bobbins wound anyway so I just go to my cabinet and pull the ones out I need and put them in my thread box and I do the blends as I come to them - wind them on to another bobbin and put the number on lowest first and that is the order I keep them in in the bobbin box I am sure that as I go through on to another row of my boys there will still be colours I have not blended but most should be done by now as I am only a page and a bit away from the second row finish
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Glenda, I may try gridding on my next project, but I'm too far into this one to start now. I've never really felt the need, but maybe I'm missing something.
    Wendy

Images
    Like Chris I store all my threads on bobbins in plastic boxes and the spares are kept in sealed bags. I spent today bobbinating all my threads for Roses and Monarch and placing card stock into Floss away bags so they stand up in a tin box, I numbered them all in numerical order (Wendy's tip) and sorted out allthe blends onto bobbins for Monarch. I'll keep the blends plus a threaded needle inside the bags so it should do away with the Pako's. I will use Pako's for the solid patterns though.
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure