2488. Virgin and Child with Saints and Donor

2488. Virgin and Child with Saints and Donor

920 x 668 stitches.

Aida 18 count.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2488. Virgin and Child with Saints and Donor.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	246.1 KB 
ID:	6183 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foto 1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	790.9 KB 
ID:	6184

In November 2015 I started this beautiful pattern. It's a pre-release pattern. A few years ago I found this painting in a book and just loved it. Now I had to look for the right photo on the internet if I wanted to let it make into a pattern. Lots of pictures were too small. I wanted the picture to be huge, so the details in the pattern would be stunning.
    After a very long search I found a picture of this painting that was 70,3 MB. I guess that was large enough! So I contacted Marcus and asked him to make a pre-release pattern of this image. Within a week I saw the result of the pattern and I was amazed. It was even more beautiful then I thought it could be. In a few weeks the postman dropped the printed version on my doormat.
    But first I had to finish the pattern I was still working on. And that was very difficult, when this pattern was lurking at me from the drawer. Now I'm so excited that I can start with it. I finished two pages. It has 200 pages in total. So only 198 to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foto 2.jpg  
    Mireille
    GK - WIP: Virgin and Child with Saints and Donor.
    GK - WIP: The Adoration of the Kings.

Images
    In the book I was telling you about they explain this painting from Gerard David. For the ones who are interested in it, just keep reading. Otherwise just skip the part below.
    The book is called: 'Van Eyck to Gossaert. Towards a northern renaissance'.

The Virgin and Child are shown with three female saints, from left to right: Saint Catherine of Alexandria, Saint Barbara and Mary Magdalene, as well as the donor, Richard de Visch van der Capelle, canon and cantor of the collegiate church of St. Donatian in Bruges. The figures have a strongly sculptural and geometrical character, especially pronounced in the Magdalen (whose form incorporates the seat on which she sits). Though each saint occupies her own world, the figures are linked rhythmically by means of their outstretched arms and hands, and their repetitive gestures.
    In St. Donatian's, the altarpiece stood on the altar of Saint Catherine in the chapel of Saint Anthony and it incorporates both these saints: Saint Catherine re-enacts her mystical marriage with Christ, while Saint Anthony is visible in the midground walkway, wearing black and looking out at us, his hand resting on a fence. In the same walkway, on the left, an angel reaches up to pick a bunch of grapes from the vine, an allusion to the wine of the Eucharist.
    The lifelike portrait of the canon, the accurate representation of his costume and the representation of his family's coat of arms on the collar of the little greyhound, would all help future generations to remember him and pray for his soul's salvation. Some viewers would have recognised the cantor's staff lying on the tiled floor, decorated with a silver-gilt image of the Trinity; dating back to the fourteenth century, this staff belonged to St. Donatian's church and was presumably used by Richard.
    Born in Oudewater in the Northers Netherlands, but in Bruges by 1484, Gerard David joined a line of painters who worked in the tradition of van Eyck. In its symmetry, stillness and attention to detail this painting emulates van Eyck's work of the mid-143os.
    Mireille

Images
    Mireille that is one stunning picture! You have made a great start I admire you for taking on such a huge project and wish you luck and enjoyment
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    Thanks a lot, Abi. The colours in this pattern are so beautiful. I can't wait to start with the sky, that's at the end of page 4. This pattern probably keeps me busy for the next couple of years.
    Mireille

Images
    What a beauty, Mireille - and huge! We are very fortunate here at GK that we can have paintings that mean so much to us converted to charts. Thank you for the explanation of the people and objects - I always love having the symbolisms pointed out to me. That is one huge piece of fabric! It's great seeing how large it is in proportion to you.
    Wendy

Images
    Thanks Wendy. I knew you would like the explanation of the painting. And yes, we are very fortunate that Marcus can make patterns from paintings we love so much. And the results are always beautiful. I will enjoy every minute stitching on this one.
    Mireille

Blog Entries
    Images
    Mireille, this is stunning and I am going to look forward to all your updates on this one 200 pages - WOW!!! mind you at the speed you stitch you will whizz through them and thank you for the explanation of the painting too like Wendy I love to understand what the painting is about - sometimes it is not obvious to me - and also the history that goes with them xxx You are going to need one large wall for this picture
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Thanks, Chriss. I'm so exited about this one and also that I'm stitching it. You're right, I do need a large wall to hang it eventually. But I have lots of years to think about that.
    Mireille

Images
    Mireille how are you stitching this one, frame Q snap or in hand? Its massive but beautiful
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    Abi, I always stitch in hand. Never used a Q snap. I think I go faster when I stitch by hand. But I must say because Ive never used a Q snap, I don't really know.
    Better start safing some money each month to get this one framed.
    Mireille