Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended SAL!! Please join in - all are welcome!

Images
    Congratulations on your finish Glenda! What a difference the back stitching made! I had never even noticed the smoke, or steam around the bottom of the engine before, but it really shows up now, and I love how all the animals have come to life. Great job!
    Wendy

Images
    Thanks, Wendy. I think the smoke should be a little bit darker because it's still not really obvious, even in real life. It just looks like grey sky rather than blue because it's not obvious that it's coming out of the funnel. I could always go over the half stitches with another strand of thread so there's two strands in them. Full stitches would be too much but 'stronger' half stitches would be fine. Full stitches with one thread would end up with the top stitch going in the wrong direction.

They say in the days of travel by steam trains that you always arrived at your destination rather sooty, so they obviously belted out a fair bit of black smoke. They would have been powered by coal and I believe the smoke from that is pretty black. I didn't mind the backstitching in this one, except where I was supposed to stitch a straight line that went across 29 stitches and only up one stitch across all of them. How am I supposed to keep it nice and straight??? Those lines turned out better than they often do but I sighed each time I got to one of them.

Blog Entries
    Images
    congratulations Glenda on finishing this gorgeously cute Woodstump the backstitching really has made so much difference and each little critter is just so darn cute
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Glenda it's lovely as it is and all credit to you for stitching the back stitch so perfectly. It looks brilliant and doesn't need altering so move on to the next one now and enjoy
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    I wouldn't do a thing to it either, Glenda. The smoke I was referring to is billowing up from the bottom of the engine, near the tracks, and it is showing up just fine!
    Wendy

Images
    Wendy I totally agree about the smoke and it looks great I'm nosy and cant wait to see what Glenda does next

My new snap frames finally arrived so I wont get the row on Gallery finished but I'll do what I can, wouldnt you think that R+R snap frames would sell the spare clips like Q Snap do
    Last edited by Abi; 10-29-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    Abi.....

Images
    Oh dear, did you have to buy the whole thing again Abi? One would think that they would sell spares for sure!
    Wendy

Images
    Wendy I bought another 2 just in case Gallery gets any thicker The year before last I sent a pm on ebay to the R+R shop and asked for clips only and the owner replied yes that's fine but I had to send a cheque to an address where I presumed they manufacture them then he posted them out to me. They cost 5 a set and took a while to arrive It's easier just buying a new frame at 10.50!
    Abi.....

Images
    Okay, I'll leave it as it is. I really couldn't be bothered going back to it anyway - finished means finished! I wanted something easy to do so I picked up a fairly recent WIP last night. I had to stitch it to the scroll rods but other than that it was set up and ready to carry on with. It's not huge so hopefully should be finished reasonably soon. It's 7.20 am here so I'm going to sit and stitch for a while.

Images
    Good decision Glenda enjoy your new stitching and I'll look forward to seeing it.
    Abi.....