Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parking technique

Parking technique

Hello lovely people

I have finally decided what pattern to do - 2576 Still Life with flowers by Dietrich. So, my next question is - can I do the stitching without using the parking technique? Does anyone stitch without doing the parking technique? I have never done parking so I'm just not sure I can do it.

And, with the 18ct, with 2 over 1, not too bulky looking? I haven't stitched on AIDA in forever......

Thanks and I'm about ready to hit the order button!

Tobi
    Happy Stitching!! Tobi

Images
    Hi Tobi, and welcome!

Still Life with Flowers is a beautiful pattern, and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I myself use the parking technique, but I know that many others do not, and their work is beautiful. The technique to use is the one you prefer and are comfortable with.

I use 18 ct and find it is just right, not too bulky, but with good coverage. If you're not sure about Aida, you might consider 18 ct. Davosa. It is a nice evenweave that I learned about from Wendy. I'm stitching my current project on davosa and am loving it, and will probably use it for all my projects in the future.

Again, welcome, and I hope to see your progress pictures soon!
    Diane
    GK WIPs - Jewels, Hunters in the Snow

Images
    Hi Tobi and a warm welcome

18ct Aida gives good results but Davosa 18ct evenweave is my favorite. I never park my threads as I use Q Snaps and find the threads get in the way when parked. Were all different and have our own ways so stitch whatever way you fancy and enjoy I love the pattern you have chosen.
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Hi Tobi, you have chosen a lovely pattern. I am stitching 2298 - Still Life with Flowers on 18ct Aida. I use Aida as I am stitching in hand without a frame which is easier for me. I have not tried Davosa. I have two links from my WIP thread. Close Up and progress so far. You'll have to scroll down to see the pictures. I have no problem stitching on the 18ct. Two strand covers the fabric well, even in the dark background areas. I have just stitched an area of lots of confetti and it did not distort the fabric.

Never really got in to parking, mostly because I think I would lose track of what the thread was. But I know there are others who do. So much with stitching is a matter of personal preference.
    Let us know what you decide and I hope we get to see a progress picture soon!
    Last edited by Rachelecm; 12-26-2013 at 11:34 PM.

Images
    Oh, Tobi! I love your Still Life with Flowers choice. I love all the bright colors. I still haven't been able to figure out how to do parking without getting confused, so I don't do it. As much as I would like to go to a higher stitch count, and therefore smaller total size, I still do 18 count aida, 2 over 1 and I really like the coverage, and my eye's ability to see it!! As other have said, it's all about your personal preference. Your pattern choice is so beautiful, we would love to have you join our SAL (Stitch Alongs). They are every other weekend, alternating GK patterns with non-GK patterns. It's as much or as little stitching as you choose to get done. We all get to see everyone's progress on their chosen patterns. Right now we are having a wonderful, extra long SAL from December 21 - December 31, with Before and After photos uploaded on New Years Eve or as soon after as you get to it. We'd love to have to you join us.
    Leslie

Images
    Hi Tobi, and welcome to Golden Kite! You can have lots of fun here, and get lots of motivation. I love the chart you have chosen. Like the others, I very seldom park threads - I just do it when I have stitched too far to run the thread under other stitched threads, but I do prefer to finish them off without parking. I haven't stitched on Aida for close to twenty years, but I do love Davosa. It is whatever one likes and is used to. As Leslie said, please consider joining in our SAL's - we'd love to follow your progress - and if you get started before the end of the year you can post a photo of your 2013 progress to go in our slide show. If you have any questions, just ask!
    Wendy

Thank you all. I have gone with the 18ct and hope to get the pattern soon! I don't think it will be before 2013 ends though. But I'll certainly be around in 2014
    Happy Stitching!! Tobi

Oh I just looked at 2298. Now I need that pattern
    Happy Stitching!! Tobi

Images
    Ah Tobi, you have caught the bug! Please join in our SAL's when you get started.
    Wendy

Blog Entries
    Images
    lol Tobi, you have definitely caught the GK bug at least its a healthy bug to have welcome to GK and you have chosen a beautiful chart and I look forward to you joining in our SAL's when you get started I have used 18ct Aida and also davosa and I am loving the davosa but loved the 18ct too so I am not too much help lol my Reading by the Window was done on aida and the one I am doing now is Cattlea Orchid & Hummingbirds and I am doing that on Davosa which is what Abi recommended and I am so glad she did I look forward to seeing you in 2014
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk