Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?

Am I crazy?

Hello everyone,

Although I am not a newbie stitcher, nor a newbie to the Golden Kite forum ( I've been a lurker for quite some time), its my first time posting to this board.

I have stitched for over 20 years and have always enjoyed larger projects, but, I do find myself sometimes getting bored doing the same works so I sometimes slack off and maybe will not stitch for months. Maybe if I worked like other people where they work on several projects at a time, I would be able to avoid getting bored. But I've tried the rotation system in the past and its just not for me.

Having said all that, I am in lovvvvvvve with the kit #2345 Children, challenge level 7. I have been ogling it for at least once a week for over 2 months! This would be my first Golden Kite pattern. It wouldn't be my first difficult pattern, nor my first with lots of blended colors, I have done many patterns from the now defunct Uncharted Territory site. But, those patterns are a third of the size I'm contemplating doing now.

Am I crazy? On average, how long do level 7 patterns take to complete? Wall space is not an issue, so even though the size 18 count pattern would be 127cm x 80 cm, if I do it on 16 count it would be a bit larger, but it would be easier, right? I've never worked on such a low count because I tend to prefer 28-30 count fabrics. I'm thinking a 16 count would be easier on my aging eyes, but then I'd also have more fabric to contend with. I usually work with a scroll frame, but sometimes I work by hand. Does a work this size have to be done on a scroll frame? Is it even possible to do it without a frame or a hoop? How do I manage so much fabric? Would I have to buy a new scroll frame and then where the heck do I store such a large frame? Oh dear, am I crazyyyyyyyyy? Helpppppppppp!

Monica

Images
    Hi Monica and a warm welcome Wow that's a big and beautiful pattern that your drooling over! If wall space isn't an issue for you I would say go for it and stitch on whatever count fabric suits you best. As for using a frame I cant really comment as I use q snaps and just fold the extra fabric and secure it with pins to keep it out of my way while I stitch. I cant see a problem with stitching it in hand and as your an experienced stitcher I say go for it.
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Hi Abi,
    You know what just occurred to me? I may be in the wrong place! I mean, coming here for advice on a project, filled with needle addicts, is like an alcoholic going to a bar and asking if he should stop drinking!! There must be a 12 step program for nuts like us...

Funny you mentioned the q-snaps, because just 10 minutes ago I thought that may be the answer and I was just researching it. Being that they're not that expensive, I may buy one just to try it out and see if I like it.

Thank you for your advice, Abi, now I have more thinking to do...

Monica

Oh, and thank you for the warm welcome! From being such a long time lurker, I knew this was a friendly place!

Monica

Quote Originally Posted by Chiki Gorriya View Post
    Hi Abi,
    You know what just occurred to me? I may be in the wrong place! I mean, coming here for advice on a project, filled with needle addicts, is like an alcoholic going to a bar and asking if he should stop drinking!! There must be a 12 step program for nuts like us...
    I had to put down my coffee I was laughing so hard when I read that! But it is so true. Are we crazy? Yes, but in a good way.

I stitch in hand, never use a frame. I have never liked how restricting it is. It is a bit difficult if you are stitching on the train or the bus in the morning, especially with the size of some of these projects. Physical injury to your fellow passengers is a definite possibility. Especially if they ask you to move your frame .

Seriously though, Abi is right. Go with what ever you feel comfortable with. I am using 18ct rustico Aida, some stronger glasses and a daylight lamp when it gets darker in the evenings. I decided not to worry about how long a pattern was going to take me to stitch. I worked out that the lush flower designs I have bought which are upwards of 600x700 stitches, even at 200 stitches a day are going to take 6 years. 12 years for a 100 stitches a day shocked me a bit, so I upped the stitch rate. After that, I decided to stop worrying about how long it was going to take and just enjoy the stitching. After all, most of us here have more patterns than we will ever stitch in this life time and probably suffer from SABLE. Stash Acquisition Beyond Afterlife Expectancy. Which considering how long that lasts, is not a bad thing to suffer from.

Images
    I don't think you're crazy, Chiki, but then again, I belong to this list and own 20 designs from this company! So maybe I'm not the correct person to ask.

I think you can work these patterns however you are the most comfortable. I don't freehand stitch - never could keep the tension even - but that's just me. I know a lot of people who do and their work is beautiful. I'll use Q-snaps, scrolls or whatever works best for the piece I'm doing. For large pieces, I use a standing scroll frame. They are expensive, but I love mine and it's so well made that I know I'll never have to buy another one. The standing frame allows me to use both hands, which I find helps, particularly with blended threads. And on these patterns I tend to park (a technique I'd never even heard of before joining this list) and I like having both hands free when I do this.

I understand getting bored with a piece. I generally have four or five projects going at the same time and switch back and forth between them. However, I'm like you. I've tried deliberate rotation that doesn't work for me. Instead, I pick a project that appeals to me at the time and work on it until I become bored. Then I'll put it away and pull one of the others out to work on. If I force myself to rotate when I'm still in the mood to work on the one I have on the frame, I don't do justice to the new project and generally end up making little headway because I make mistakes and have to tear much of it out. By waiting until I'm tired of the piece, it ensures that the one I switch to will get my full focus. It may be a while until I come back to the first one, but when it do it's with renewed enthusiasm. In between the large pieces, I deliberately start small ones that I can complete fairly quickly. I've found that if I stick with large pieces exclusively, I never have a finish that that's disheartening. The small finishes in between the large pieces also gives me more incentive to work on the larger ones.

I don't think any of us stitch exactly the same way and that's a lot of the fun of it. I've gotten so many good ideas from people on this list. I find that just reading the posts, looking at the patterns, and following other people's progress encourages me. You can't ask for more than that!
    Debbie K. in Illinois

Images
    Hi Monica, and welcome to GK! I'm so glad you decided to stop lurking and to join in. I have always used Q-snaps, but just this year invested in a floor stand that uses scroll rods and I'm really liking it. I'd love to be able to stitch in-hand, but it just doesn't work for me. I have a friend who is stitching a large piece and she uses a small hoop just where she is stitching for that day. Seeing as your project is a Level 7 you may want to do some test stitching on different sized fabrics. I did a Level 4 on a 20-count Lugana and I found it very tight and bulky. The different levels also refer to size of the project, so perhaps there aren't any more colour changes in the higher levels. I just thought you may want to know that info. We'd all love to hear what fabric you end up choosing and how you are going to stitch it, as well as follow your progress! Consider joining in our Stitch-Alongs (SAL's). They are a great motivator.
    Wendy

Hi ladies!

First of all thank you all so much for such a warm welcome.....I just knew this was a friendly place!

Secondly.....now I'm running for the hills!!! You guys are bold face, outright enablers!!!

Seriously though, <sigh>, I think I'm going to go for it. I'm going to try the rotating suggestion, which made it sound really simple: don't rotate when I'm bored, rotate when I'm motivated so I don't get bored. Always have something to work on so I don't start slacking off. Have little projects going on to achieve a sense of accomplishment. Makes sense to me. I'm also going to try using the q snaps. I've been wanting to try them for a while now, but for some reason never got around to buying them.

ok, ok, as you guys can see, it wasn't all that difficult to convince me! I'll order it this weekend and when I start the project, I'll see if I start a thread in the WIP section so you enablers ( and you know who you are) can motivate me when I start feeling frustrated!

I've read just about everything on the getting started threads, but I'm always open to more suggestions, especially for a project as large as this one. I'm a grid girl, always have been, but I'm not a needle parker....I think I'm going to attempt to learn it without getting all tangled up in the floss, because I think once you learn how to do it well, you stitch at a much faster speed. Right?

Thank you all so much.

Monica

Images
    That's the spirit, Monica! I like your attitude. We will await your news and your updates.
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by WendyLee View Post
    That's the spirit, Monica! I like your attitude. We will await your news and your updates.
    ........says one crazy lady to the other....

Monica