Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a bit of a conundrum

I have a bit of a conundrum

I do want to start one of my large flower patterns (once I get going on the peonies) later in the year. 2495 is full of blends not solids so I will need to stitch it over one on 28 or 32 count to get it as close to the size of the original artwork as possible. It is all very well going for massive but often the picture only comes in to focus when you stand across the room! I also stitch in hand, as I find a frame of any sort horribly restricting, so I need the fabric to be manageable. 5 feet plus of fabric is not easily dealt with in hand. The smaller the better.

At the moment I am stitching Mirabilia's Autumn Queen which requires blended threads on 40ct. I stitch the darkest thread as the bottom leg and the lightest is the top leg.

Do you think this would work with GK patterns? Would it change the overall look too much?

While I think about it 2619 is now in my shopping cart. And if that Jan Frans Van Dael that Coraa posted in the Gallery makes it in to the shop I am dropping everything.

Blog Entries
    Images
    lol Rachele sounds like you have the GK bug already hun xxx I can't really help you on the fabric bit as I am using 16ct aida with my blended chart - mine has 32 pages of chart and isn't too large and I use a hoop which I move around my fabric as and when I need to - I have a lowery stand which I attach my hoop to but I can take it off the stand and do it without but I still have to have the hoop on it x I use the blended threads together - I think that it might change the overall look if you have one going one way and the other one going the other way but then I have never tried it so I can't really judge it xxx someone else might be able to be of more help for you x
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    I haven't tried doing the blended charts this way Rachele, but I have seen it suggested by someone on this website as a good way to do it. I've thought of giving it a try myself, and I will when I stitch a large enough chart. I guess the big thing is to be consistent with dark on the bottom and light on the top. If you do a test swatch, I'd love to hear what you think of it.
    Wendy

Thank you for your thoughts! They are much appreciated.

Wendy, I hadn't even thought of doing test swatches. I have a tendency to overlook things like that!

Chris, when I fall, I fall hard! It is a good thing I have managed to get in a weekend's worth of rare overtime as that has funded my sudden new addiction. There are a couple more flower charts that I have my eye on but they might have to wait before they are added to my collection. Some restraint is called for.

Willow Fabrics has some 18 ct rustico aida at 4.99 a metre so I might order a couple of metres of that to start 2298, 1392 or 1504, just to get in to the swing of things. And leave the worrying about how I am going to deal with the bigger flower paintings for later. I am happy stitching on either aida or linen/evenweave. But if the entire background is going to be covered, I don't see the point of going for the more expensive fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Images
    Rachele I know what you mean and then Marcus throws a spanner into the works by putting up special deals as he has today....... hey ho I love stitching on linen/evenweave especially if the fabric is going to show when framed but when it comes to something like GK charts that don't show when framed then aida is fine too x

Well the 18ct rustico bleached oatmeal Aida has been ordered. Just need to decide which pattern I want to start and get sorting through the thread bags.

Rachele, I am stitching with 2 threads (blended pattern) in a normal cross stitch on 22 ct Hardanger fabric which is working pretty well for me. Another idea to do for a test swatch.

I am looking forward to seeing which pattern you start. You have several lovelies to choose from.

Images
    Rachele, sorting through the thread bags and kitting up a chart is a whole project in itself, as you will see!
    Wendy

Images
    Looking forward to seeing what you choose to stitch. Enjoy sorting your threads (I hate that bit)
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Blog Entries
    Images
    looking forward to seeing what you choose Rachele I am not keen on the sorting through threads either but since I got my cabinet is a whole lot easier x