Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dianalcannon@me.com

dianalcannon@me.com

Hello all, I have recently joined GK and I have 3 patterns that I ordered some time ago, and am now trying to get started on one. I have only stitched in the past on linen, 28 ct or higher, two threads over 2 because I like the look of it. It has not occurred to me to even consider using 18 ct, two threads over 1 until I started reading everybody's posts! I have never done a project with so many colors, maybe that's why I'm dragging my feet. The parking also looks very complicated. Are there any beginning tips that you can give me to get myself started? Here in Kansas we got over a foot of snow today, perfect weather for stitching! I also just made a ticket to stitch a picture of my 3 year old Granddaughter. Any suggestions on size, fabric, colors from anyone who has done this before?

Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Diana and welcome to GK Everyone here is friendly and you will get help here there will always be someone who can answer your questions I don't park my threads so I can't help you there but I do stitch on 16 and 18 ct 2x1 as I am doing a blended chart at the moment. I have just had a pre-release picture done for me and it is landscape format and have had it done 300 x 255 which on 18ct, 2x1 will come out 16.625 inches by 14.125 inches which is a size i can cope with this has 200 colors and 102 blends in it this is the link to the photo that I had converted http://www.goldenkite.com/gallery/sh...atid=favorites and it only took Marcus a couple of days to do for me too

enjoy your stitching whilst you have the snow - we here in the UK have got rid of the bit of snow we had - mind you we only need a few flakes for it to stop everyone in their tracks - we really don't know how to cope with extremes xxx
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Welcome to GK Diana

I think the best way to get started is to choose a fabric that your comfortable working with and a chart that you love. I'm stitching Crystal Ball the solid version on 18ct Davosa evenweave and I'm really pleased with the wonderful detail that Marcus has achieved in a pattern with no blends. Have a look through the WIP thread and you will see GK patterns stitched on a wide range of fabrics and counts and they are all beautiful
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    Hi Diana and welcome to GK! You can have great fun here. I also use 18 count Davosa, 2 over 1 with a blended chart and am very pleased with it. I don't park very often, but some of us do it all the time and are able to keep their threads sorted out. Which GK charts do you have?
    Wendy

Thanks for posting! Guess I'm going to have to try the 18 ct., I see the kits all use Aida, is that what you use? So you put your threads all on bobbins instead of parking?

Blog Entries
    Images
    Diana mine are all on bobbins and I start a new bobbin for a blend when I get to it I have a large bobbin box with the solids in and then a smaller box with just the blends in - mind you they take up half of my little table I did try them all in one box but it was a tight squeeze I wind quite a bit of the blends onto the bobbin so that I don't have to keep renewing but of course I do have to refill them sometimes what GK chart have you in mind to stitch
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

I was thinking of starting with my Granddaughter's picture, but the patterns I have are, Starry nights, Egytian Waterlily, because I have water gardens, fruit and flowers, #220, and Spring, because it's so different and I'm a flower freak! Lol! Ad they are all probably not what I should have started out with!

Images
    I'm not sure if I am understanding you correctly Diana, but putting the threads on bobbins is a totally different issue than parking. Bobbins are for floss storage, and I use Floss-A-Way bags to store mine. I'll try to find a link that explains parking. It is not complicated at all, but I prefer to stitch until I finish a thread and tie it off instead of parking it.
    Wendy

Hi Diana and Welcome, I also use bobbins for my floss and sometimes the Pako Thread Organizers. I would just suggest you try the 18ct. and see if you would like stitching on it but your 28ct over 2 would work fine also and if your use to stitching on the 28ct it would work perfect for the GK patterns.

Images
    Hi Diana and welcome. I stitch mine on 18 count Aida and don't park it seams to confusing to me. What project are you going to work on first, the are all very pretty?. We got just a lot of sleet and ice here in Missouri, so I got a lot of stitching done in the past two days.
    Angela
    GK: Corner Of The Villa
    Other Projects: Cartography I and Spring Montage