Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I cut my fabric

Hi Iris,

I am having the same issue with 2 over 1 on my 25 count linen. It is frustrating. I have been pondering the higher count linen and 2 over 2 as well. The GC pattern I purchased has blended colors so I will need the 2 threads, but I do want to try something other than the 25 ct / 2 over 1. It is so tight as well. Which has good and bad points. The coverage is amazing, but it looks more like a needlepoint than cross stitch to me.

On that note, if one purchases 32 count linen that would be the same size as 16 count aida correct? Stitching over 2 threads that is. I really do like the evenweave fabrics, but I can sure see why so many use the aida for these projects. Has anyone tried using the high count linen and stitching over 2 for a GC project?

Oh, and welcome!!

Images
    I certainly don't want to do 2 over 2 on the 20 count, it would be huge and I would lose a lot of the details. Since I like needlepoint I'm not concerned about the finished look that way, both appeal to me I just worry that if I do half crosses, they will all go under the fabric threads and disappear. I also have blended charts and need to do the 2 threads. That's why I'm looking into the 35 or 40 count linens it would still be 18-20 sts per inch. Don't know what I'm going to use 5yds of 20 count for though...LOL

I completely understand. I was thinking a minimum of 32 count, but 35 or 40 would probably be better. Would love to hear what you think when you try it. It will be a month or two before I order fabric for my GC pattern - still have one other project I need to finish first.

Images
    Iris, I tried the continental tent stitch on 20ct Bellana which I think is the same as Lugana and the threads didn't slip under but using half cross stitch it occasionally did If I pulled too tight. I didnt do much so wont comment on the coverage it gave but it was quick to do.
    Abi.....

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure

Images
    every time I go in to reply I have to log in again, is there any way to keep logged in? I'm going to order my fabric next week so this one will be on hold until that fabric arrives. The only down side of the finer counts is going blind trying to see the threads...well I've ordered some magnifying glasses, hopefully they will be strong enough...LOL. I have 32 count here but not wide enough to do a 6 foot project, I think I only have 1 or 1.5 yards but will have to check that.

Images
    Hi Abi,
    I did like the coverage on the half crosses and you are right, I do have a tight tension- but isn't tent stitch and half crosses the same? Don't know if I can do 6 feet of stitching reminding myself every stitch to not pull...LOL

Images
    Iris tent and half cross stitch are done slightly differently but look very similar on the front. Personally I like the look of the continental tent stitch the best. Look here http://www.threadneedlestreet.com/Co...HalfCross.html

I wonder If the site is being "worked on" as it is behaving a little strange and is slower than normal. I got chucked out as well lol..
    Last edited by Abi; 09-25-2012 at 07:59 PM.
    Abi.....

Images
    ahh, that's right, I forgot that you do the back differently, I've always done half crosses on needlepoint and my tension is usually so good it doesn't distort the fabric. Also half crosses are easier to stretch on canvas. Will give that 20 another try with the tent stitch before I buy the linen then and see how that goes...will report back later on that...
    Iris

Images
    Iris, yes do try it again and let us know how you get on. I love doing tent but my fingers are quicker than my brain and I keep losing where I'm up to so for me it's practice I think
    Abi.....

Images
    I was just talking to my wholesaler and she mentioned Congress Cloth, has anyone tried to stitch a GK on that?
    Iris