Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two year old strikes again!

Two year old strikes again!

Does anyone know the best way to get pencil off your fabric? I was not sure if I should just use an eraser or if anyone else has had a busy two year old find their project I usually do not wash my patterns when done but thought that might work too?

Images
    Carrie,

I always wash my stitchery when I finish it - to remove the hand oils. I use "GOOP", which is a hand cleaner for automotive greasy hands! I know it sounds both wierd & scary, but it works beautifully. It actually looks like a white jelly. I have never tried it on pencil, but I would imagine it would work the same way. I suspect you can buy GOOP on line. I think the last can of it I got was from an ACE Hardware store. You might try Home Depot, but I don't think they had it the last time I was looking.

When I'm done stitching, I smear the back side of the stitchery with the GOOP & leave it sitting on the kitchen counter over night. The next day, I rinse it very, very thoroughly with cold water. When all is done, I place it on a large towel & roll it up, very gently to remove much of the water. Next, I just let it sit some place secluded, dry, & without direct sunlight, until it dries.

I think there is a thread on here somewhere that has lots of different suggestions by other stitchers about what they use to clean their stitchery. It was within the last year. You might try under "Tips" or something like that.

I'm sure you will get lots of other good suggestions too.

Leslie

Blog Entries
    Images
    I have never heard of this GOOP - I must see if Andy & Karly can fetch me some back - if they have it in canada that is - they are visiting Karly's relatives in Ontario at the moment but as their suitcase was full of sweets and goodies for the family they should have plenty of space for some things for me (unless they buy lots of clothes out there that is lol)

Carrie I sympathise with you honey - 2 year olds and stitching do not generally mix I hope you manage to get it off and what Leslie suggest sounds a good one to me - the only other thing is, is it where you will be stitching and will your stitching cover it up which if it doesn't come out completely this may be your saviour - don't be too hard on him - a blank canvas and pencil go together so well awww am sure he is sorry really xxxxx
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk

Images
    Oh Carrie, what a shame! It would be perfect if you could stitch over it, but that is likely too easy. I made my own pencil marks on my current project - just three or four little ones while experimenting with gridding. I didn't like them and tried an eraser, but it just seemed to smudge them. You will probably get them out, but I don't think an eraser will do it.
    Wendy

Oh, NO! Have you tried an artist's eraser? It's almost like a putty, that you shape how you want it, and then dot it on the spot you need it. If not, those little shout! pens have worked wonders for me in the past.

Images
    I pulled out my can of GOOP - It is "Made in USA" by Critzas Industries Inc. 4041 Park Ave. St. Louis, MO 63110 www.goophandcleaner.com

Leslie

Images
    I allways hand wash my project with Woollite in cool water, but I don't know if it would get pencilmarks out. Sorry I cant be more help.
    Angela
    GK: Corner Of The Villa
    Other Projects: Cartography I and Spring Montage

Carrie,

I would think that Woolite would take it out. This is what I usually use. I just gave my Lady at a Tree a bath with Woolite to get rid of the grid marks and they came out just fine with the Woolite.

Thank you everyone for all your help! I thought that using an eraser might smear so I resisted my first urge to use that. I will look into either the GOOP or the Woolite. Thank you Leslie for the website.
    My two year old did not do this on purpose. We sat down and I tried to explain that paper was for writing not mommy's "sewing" I am just glad it was not a magic marker, whew!

Blog Entries
    Images
    Carrie, my then 2 year old son decided that as he had one completely white wall in his bedroom that he shared with his brother that he would practice is artistry....... and when I found it needless to say I was trying to scold him and advise him that you should not draw on walls - albeit the drawings were beautiful - he advised me that it was not him and that Daniel his brother had done it...... errrr I asked him that I did not think that Daniel was that clever as he was only 6 months old and could not actually get out of his cot or climb the stairs and that Daniel even if he was that clever would not sign his artwork with Liam's name awww bless - I can say that now that they are 31 and 29 years old and survived the traumas of childhood lol x
    hugs Chris x - GK WIP -Boys on the Shore
    http://smg.photobucket.com/home/merrick10uk